The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Largest Functional Tire Without Mods

Local time
1:31 AM
Reaction score
@globalgregors the speedo is spot on accurate at 100kph.

@James No rubbing plenty of clearance. I dont have a flex ramp to test on full articulation but i have no concern at this point.
Great to hear on both accounts, though I am a bit surprised.

When I have made a similar switch to taller tires (i.e. going from 31.6 to 33 inches in height) the speedometer has been off by ~2 mph at 31 mph (50 kph), and ~4 mph at 62 mph (100 kph). Going up to a 35-inch tire creates even greater inaccuracy, so I've always used a ProCal ("tazer" etc.) to change the tire size in the ECU (back in the day, this wasn't an option, so you just remembered that the speedo was a little slow).

To me, it looks like you are going to get a little rubbing of the tire against the inner fender on-road under a maneuver like taking a 90-degree turn into something that has a steep angle (I have one of these that I regularly drive, and I get rubbing in my Tacoma on 33s even with a 2-inch lift). I hope I am wrong, but that is how it looks based on the amount of room you have in the wheel well. Off road, I would also expect a little rubbing at full articulation. But these are guesses based off my experience with a handful of other vehicles, and I have no experience with the Gren.

Its even harder to speculate about rubbing on suspension components without being under the vehicle.

I hope things continue to go well for you with this tire size, and thanks for posting about your experience so far! I hope you post back if things continue to go well, or if you get a little rubbing, as there are definitely folks on here who are interested. All the best!

Reactions: PBD

Baron von Teuchter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Looking at winter tyres, do we think a 285/65R17 will fit ok on the stock17” steels?

Very similar rolling radius according to my sums but obviously 20mm wider 🤔

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:31 PM
Reaction score
Looking at winter tyres, do we think a 285/65R17 will fit ok on the stock17” steels?

Very similar rolling radius according to my sums but obviously 20mm wider 🤔
285/70 works, so 285/65 should definitely work as it is shorter in height. With that being said, for a winter tyre, you generally want to go narrower vs. wider (unless you are using it for flotation purposes in powder situations, but then you need much wider)

Local time
Reaction score
285/70 works, so 285/65 should definitely work as it is shorter in height. With that being said, for a winter tyre, you generally want to go narrower vs. wider (unless you are using it for flotation purposes in powder situations, but then you need much wider)
NOTE CORRECTION!: I'm thinking a "pizza cutter 33" (255/80/17) might be good! You actually get a better contact patch aired down with these tires! Available in Falken Wildpeak!

Last edited:

Baron von Teuchter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah, hard finding winter tyres in any size suitable for the grenadier with 17” wheels, 18 no problem.

Maybe I shouldn’t just buy a set of 18’s for winters but then there are the TPMS issues 🙄

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah, hard finding winter tyres in any size suitable for the grenadier with 17” wheels, 18 no problem.
Not sure what is available in the UK... But here are a few options to look into for dedicated winter tyres:
265/70/17 - Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2, Blizzak LT; Firestone Winterforce 2 UV, Winterforce LT; Cooper Discoverer Snow Claw; General Arctic; Continental VikingContact7; Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
And don't forget to leave articulation room for chains!

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Is there a distinction between tallest and largest? Is there a pizza cutter faction? I'd love a tall skinny 33

Local time
Reaction score
Is there a distinction between tallest and largest? Is there a pizza cutter faction? I'd love a tall skinny 33
Here are a few options in 255/80 R17 (33 x 10 inches)
  • Brand / actual size in inches / Load Rating / Speed Rating / Tread Depth / weight of a single tire (no wheel)
  • Cooper ST MAXX / 32.8 x 10.2 / E / Q (up to 99 mph) / 18.5/32" tread depth / 58 pounds
  • Nitto Ridge Grappler / 33.3 x 10.0 / E / Q (up to 99 mph) / 16.5/32" tread depth / 55 pounds
  • Toyo Open Country AT 3 / 33.1 x 10.0 / E / R (up to 106 mph) / 16.3/32" tread depth / 53 pounds
  • Falken Wildpeak AT3W / 33.1 x 10.0 / E / S (up to 112 mph) / 17/32" tread depth / 52.5 pounds

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom