The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

It is happening, Long Range America is building Fuel tanks for both Grenadiers

LeeroyJ

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:39 AM
Reaction score
I have carried jerry cans both inside and outside (roof rack) of the vehicle. I'm with Peter, no reason to not carry inside other than space.

I would still install an extra tank under the truck if I didn't live in CA where they frown upon such things...
I've carried jerry cans inside the vehicle for many thousands of off-road miles. That does not mean it is a safe practice. It is not. If that's within your risk tolerance then continue to do so, but that does not make it a safe practice.

Local time
6:39 PM
Reaction score
Inside is fine when you're not having drastic elevation changes. If youre driving from the amazon river basin to lake titicaca, be prepared to burp your cans. Even Mr Sheppard keeps his fuel indoors.

But like most things, it's also being aware of your environment and dangers. i.e. don't be stupid.

Don't rock crawl with 5 cans on the roof. nothiong like blowing open 25 gallons in a roll over and scraping metal on rocks.

Getting rear ended with 15 gallons hanging off the back doesn't sound like fun for the whole family.

Hanging fuel off the side like is so popular with this truck is a shit ton more dangerous than tucking a can at the bottom of your gear inside. Watching truck lose grip and slide sideways isn't very what I'd call an uncommon experience, and instead of the body hitting first, or if youre lucky the slider, you've jammed the fuel canister off of the side of the wadi and thru your window while its leaking. Yea, over the side window poking out 8 inches on a top heavy truck is a greeeeeat place to put 10 gallons of fuel.

The only thing right now that gives me much pause about this rig inside, is the entire electrical system has been moved from the engine bay to the lowest point inside the cabin. The spark proximity doesn't bring me joy.

And then there's theft. People covet what they see, and poorly protected easily reached goods hanging on trucks are fair game in 3rd world cities. Is there a lock holding it in? Not to a sharpened screwdriver and a bucket.

pmatusov

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:39 PM
Reaction score
Inside is fine when you're not having drastic elevation changes. If youre driving from the amazon river basin to lake titicaca, be prepared to burp your cans. Even Mr Sheppard keeps his fuel indoors.
I had this concern. I know that, regardless of where the can is stored, it may be a bitch to open one after a large elevation change. A leak is not a concern when the can is stored vertically, but in my current Grenadier implementation it is on the side. Found a couple of weeks ago that 3000ft of elevation change is not a problem.

Back
Top Bottom