The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

It is happening, Long Range America is building Fuel tanks for both Grenadiers

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:27 PM
Reaction score
For those of us in the U.K. that are interested in the auxiliary fuel tank from long range America. I’ve been in touch with them but they don’t currently ship to the U.K. I’ve been speaking to @RyanT at Buzz Special vehicles and they can help facilitate shipping from the USA via OK4WD as they are agents for Buzz kit in the USA and Buzz agents for GP factor kit in the U.K. so have regular shipments both ways.
So once I hear more from Long Range America re release date and costs etc. we can then do a show of hands and try and sort the shipping via Buzz.
For those that are interested please reach out to Long Range America and register your interest as this will give them an idea of likely demand in the U.K. and farther afield.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have heard no more from Long Range America and Brown Davis have not replied at all. But one thing that was flagged up to me by @RyanT was that a potential problem could be if the Petrol engine Grenadier has an EVAP system (evaporative emissions control system) this could cause problems if just putting a Y join in the pipe between the main fuel tank and filler cap to connect the auxiliary fuel tank to. I’ve reached out to the technician at Harwoods and as far as they are aware the Grenadier just has a charcoal canister to deal with petrol fumes. Does anyone have any further insight into this. 🤔

Last edited:

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:27 PM
Reaction score
I have heard no more from Long Range America and Brown Davis have not replied at all. But one thing that was flagged up to me by @RyanT was that a potential problem could be if the Grenadier has an EVAP (evaporative emissions control system) this could cause problems if just putting a Y join in the pipe between the main fuel tank and filler cap to connect the auxiliary fuel tank to. I’ve reached out to the technician at Harwoods and as far as they are aware the Grenadier just has a charcoal canister to deal with petrol fumes. Does anyone have any further insight into this. 🤔
All modern petrol vehicles have EVAP systems, and the Y join for filler is how LRA does all of their aux tanks without issue. If I remember correctly from their 5th Gen 4Runner tank, their aux tank also ties into the factory evap system in addition to the factory tank.

Honestly, I believe that LRA used their postings as a "proof of market interest" test rather than actually meaning they have anything ready for sale; especially as they have yet to even decide upon a tank size. Given their speed to market of other tanks, I wouldn't expect any further news from them until the end of the year or later

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
All modern petrol vehicles have EVAP systems, and the Y join for filler is how LRA does all of their aux tanks without issue. If I remember correctly from their 5th Gen 4Runner tank, their aux tank also ties into the factory evap system in addition to the factory tank.

Honestly, I believe that LRA used their postings as a "proof of market interest" test rather than actually meaning they have anything ready for sale; especially as they have yet to even decide upon a tank size. Given their speed to market of other tanks, I wouldn't expect any further news from them until the end of the year or later
Thanks for clearing that up. Hence not much communication 👍🏼

terdrocket

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:27 PM
Reaction score

My 200 series has the evap and charcoal canister that the LRA system integrates into

255/85

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
11:27 AM
Reaction score
I have heard no more from Long Range America and Brown Davis have not replied at all. But one thing that was flagged up to me by @RyanT was that a potential problem could be if the Petrol engine Grenadier has an EVAP system (evaporative emissions control system) this could cause problems if just putting a Y join in the pipe between the main fuel tank and filler cap to connect the auxiliary fuel tank to. I’ve reached out to the technician at Harwoods and as far as they are aware the Grenadier just has a charcoal canister to deal with petrol fumes. Does anyone have any further insight into this. 🤔

There looks to be an evap canister just aft of the rear springs and above the muffler. Unless someone slipped an AdBlue tank into our petrol model.

Dok

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:27 PM
Reaction score
IG_LongRangeAmerica.PNG

Dok

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:27 PM
Reaction score
I’ve just sent them an email to register my interest. There is a form on their website to fill in and register your interest but it will not accept a U.K. phone number so won’t send.
I did put my email with a "number" to post the form ;)

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I’ve just sent them an email to register my interest. There is a form on their website to fill in and register your interest but it will not accept a U.K. phone number so won’t send.
I think the reason for the number not working is this is long range America. So I assume that it's using the 01 usa code. I would say email them and let them know your interest.

LeeroyJ

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:27 PM
Reaction score
Anyone know if this is an additional tank or does it replace the OEM tank? I assume additional but would like to confirm.

pmatusov

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Petrol in jerry cans is a serious fire risk so I personally want it to be the exception to my trips, not the norm.
I know that "never say never," but... probably have driven close to 3/4 of a million miles with full jerry cans inside the vehicle. Not a single leak.
More importantly, having a jerry can is a neat insurance if a wayward rock or piece of rebar goes through the fuel tank.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I know that "never say never," but... probably have driven close to 3/4 of a million miles with full jerry cans inside the vehicle. Not a single leak.
More importantly, having a jerry can is a neat insurance if a wayward rock or piece of rebar goes through the fuel tank.
I agree with what you are saying but the LRA tank will be a separate tank so think of it as a large Jerry Can that has armor underneath it.

LeeroyJ

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:27 PM
Reaction score

As a young kid my parents used to let me run around the car with no seat belt on. Nothing bad ever happened. With my kids however, my parents switched and insisted on car seats and seatbelts. Still nothing bad ever happened. But its certainly a better practice.

Similarly, most of the time nothing happens if you carry jerry cans inside the vehicle (except the smell, not sure how you tolerate that). It doesn't mean its a good or safe practice. If you are going to carry jerry cans, storing them anywhere else is preferably to storing them inside the vehicle. The roof, side molly panels, or rear storage are all better options from a safety perspective. But the best option is to carry that fuel down-low in a purpose designed extended fuel tank like the one Long Ranger is developing. It's the equivalent of 4 and 3/4ths full jerry cans with low center of gravity.

The only advantages Jerry cans would have is cost and the ability to easily share with other vehicles. If you have a transfer pump though you can get over the sharing issue. The negatives of jerry cans are many.

Not carrying jerry cans also lets you have more room to carry other stuff.

On your comment about a wayward rock or piece of rebar going through the fuel tank, I've never seen one of these get a leak or a puncture. I've seen them get hit very hard (and have done it before on my land cruisers) and seen them get dented, but never punctured. I'm sure there is a way it could happen, but have never seen or heard of it actually happening. Its a very remote risk that does not, imho justify carrying jerry cans inside the vehicle.

pmatusov

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As a young kid my parents used to let me run around the car with no seat belt on. Nothing bad ever happened. With my kids however, my parents switched and insisted on car seats and seatbelts. Still nothing bad ever happened. But its certainly a better practice.

Similarly, most of the time nothing happens if you carry jerry cans inside the vehicle (except the smell, not sure how you tolerate that). It doesn't mean its a good or safe practice. If you are going to carry jerry cans, storing them anywhere else is preferably to storing them inside the vehicle. The roof, side molly panels, or rear storage are all better options from a safety perspective. But the best option is to carry that fuel down-low in a purpose designed extended fuel tank like the one Long Ranger is developing. It's the equivalent of 4 and 3/4ths full jerry cans with low center of gravity.

The only advantages Jerry cans would have is cost and the ability to easily share with other vehicles. If you have a transfer pump though you can get over the sharing issue. The negatives of jerry cans are many.

Not carrying jerry cans also lets you have more room to carry other stuff.

On your comment about a wayward rock or piece of rebar going through the fuel tank, I've never seen one of these get a leak or a puncture. I've seen them get hit very hard (and have done it before on my land cruisers) and seen them get dented, but never punctured. I'm sure there is a way it could happen, but have never seen or heard of it actually happening. Its a very remote risk that does not, imho justify carrying jerry cans inside the vehicle.
That is yet another regurgitation of the "common wisdom" on fuel storage. It blows my mind how anyone can state that storing a fuel container outside the hard shell of a vehicle is safer than inside.

As I already said, I have not witnessed any leaks. Therefore, there's no smell. Typically, even if you spill some gas on the jerry can while filling it up, it dries off before you have a chance to move the can into the vehicle. It is very different from diesel, however; for that very reason I probably wouldn't carry a diesel can inside - but its lower flammability makes it safer to carry outside.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have no problem carrying fuel on my roof rack. I my recent travels of around 18k miles i carried five x20L Wavian explosion proof Jerry cans of petrol on the roof rack. Having said that I have registered my interest in a long range America auxiliary fuel tank, one to keep the weight down low and secondly this does mean I have less to carry on the roof so can go for a lifting roof conversion such as an Alucab.
DSCN5906.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom