The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Is the Mercedees G an alternative to the Grenadier?

Kruegerruda

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:29 AM
Reaction score
Our delivery date is getting further and further behind, plus the teething problems and poor service from Ineos, I am now looking at alternatives.

Apart from the big price difference, can anyone compare the two? Maybe someone has already driven both? Pros and cons?

Tomdoc

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:29 AM
Reaction score
Getting my popcorn ready for these replies.

Both are superb machines - but they are not intended for the same functions. Just my opinion, but the Mercedes is absolutely the opposite type of 4x4 that I need or want. It's luxurious and expensive and has a nice badge and heritage. So does my Cartier watch - but I don't wear that to go hillwalking.

Gaston the Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
What do you want the Grenadier for? Daily drive? Rustling sheep? Not Mall crawling? Off roading? Travelling? Towing? Standing out from the crowd?

Then ask yourself what do you want a G Wagon for? Selling drugs? Not rustling sheep? Mall crawling? Looking nervously around you when you park it, expecting someone to coin your paintwork? Realising you’ve just blown £150k on a tart’s handbag with quilted leather seats and plush carpets?

I’d recommend hanging out for your Grenadier, and spending the money you’ve saved on the G Wagon on a nice low mileage SL63 with the 5.5ltr biturbo motor. Best of both worlds, and you won’t get arrested for selling drugs either.

Local time
Reaction score
lf you want a more posh off roader than a Grenadier (and the furthest you'll go off road is the local horse trials) then how about a new Defender.
lt's cheaper than the Grenadier, let alone the price of a G-Wagon.

Personally if l was going to Africa l would take the Grenadier.
For off-road fun just get an old Defender, then you won't worry if it picks up a dent or two.

Both the new Defender and G-Wagon make great mall cruisers while also being very good off road, just a bit too precious to take down your local green lanes.

And then there's the Jeep Wrangler. lt doesn't get much of a mention but it's not bad, all told.
Certainly the post 2018 versions.

Gaston the Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
lf you want a more posh off roader than a Grenadier (and the furthest you'll go off road is the local horse trials) then how about a new Defender.
lt's cheaper than the Grenadier, let alone the price of a G-Wagon.

Personally if l was going to Africa l would take the Grenadier.
For off-road fun just get an old Defender, then you won't worry if it picks up a dent or two.

Both the new Defender and G-Wagon make great mall cruisers while also being very good off road, just a bit too precious to take down your local green lanes.

And then there's the Jeep Wrangler. lt doesn't get much of a mention but it's not bad, all told.
Certainly the post 2018 versions.
All good points, plus with an old Defender, you get to lie underneath it a lot.

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The G class professional was in the same league as the grenadier( current models not so sure ) . It was discontinued a few years ago ( i wanted one ) . Then it was available only in Aus . Now i think its gone .
The new one seems to be even better but aimed towards militaries .

P.S had my favorite extra of a stand on bonnet from factory .

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Both will be and are (G Wag) driven by realestate agents. This is an inevitable truth! Aside from that, I do not have my Gren yet so cannot provide comment other than I do know G Wagen off-roader and the truck is tough as nails really... has never let them down and its been off-road for about 4 of the 5 years they owned it. Price tag is hefty and with mods you are WELL IN THE STRATOSPHERE on costs...

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I own a G Class Professional 2013 a Suzuki Jimny 2019 and at least in theory a Grenadier. I can not tell You a lot about the Gren. Have not driven it yet. (Long story)
When it comes to offroading I expect the Grenadier to be almost as good as the G. Almost - because the Gren is heavier and the exhaust system and the fuel tank are hanging very low. The G is already heavy and in many cases, the lightweight Jimny wins. Not to mention the short rope on the winch.
When it comes to long-distance traveling I expect the Gren to offer more comfort than the G. More quiet, better seats.
Both have plenty of power with comparable fuel efficiency. Since kilometers per tank is very important to me I am hoping for the Gren to perform a little bit better. Especially with offroad fuel efficiency.....

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
I would have verbalized the topic the other way around...

AWo

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
When it comes to long-distance traveling I expect the Gren to offer more comfort than the G. More quiet, better seats.
What is "the G "? There are so many flavours, types and generations of the G-Wagon, all touching many of these aspects mentioned here. So if you want to compare it, you need to say which specific G-Wagon you want to compare a single Grenadier.

Thereby there is no comparison between IG and G in general.

AWo

Last edited:

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The G class professional was in the same league as the grenadier( current models not so sure ) . It was discontinued a few years ago ( i wanted one ) . Then it was available only in Aus . Now i think its gone .
The new one seems to be even better but aimed towards militaries .

P.S had my favorite extra of a stand on bonnet from factory .
The G Wagon utility is still manufactured but not for civilian use. Military only.
you get these only used. There are sellers in Germany like “Philipp aus dem Hanfbachtal“ providing any G also called “Wolf“ according to military nomenclature. Indeed this was an alternative I considered but the vehicles have canvas roof only very few metal and no matter there may be a hefty investment depending on wear. Some hunters have Wolf aka GE240 from Swiss Army petrol fuel injection or some with 240 Diesel.. that ones are even more rare and requested as these can run with Frying oil.
So used ones that are suitable for off-road are still expensive or a surprise pack In Canvas. Or you get a brabus V8 sidepipes, lowered! many gadgets. If you want one of these and travel to Berlin, you may be associated with certain families. That can be good or bad. A friend of mine owns such a G but he for sure a native with no intent of monkey business. But an entrepreneur with solid distance to Berlin

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Tinki some addendum.. an utilitarian G with the 2.2 litre 4cyl Diesel as it was used in the GLK in different power classes .. 170 HP perhaps, refurbished, cloth seating is an attractive vehicle still. but Mercedes Benz intends to abandon the smaller vehicle classes anyway and focus on upper class only.
there was the intention to scrap the G entirely long ago. But the big civilian dick enhancers sell like hot cake still and military orders increased recently and the platform is used for various different military purposes.

Kruegerruda

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
We have had many Landys, Series III, 90s, 110tdi, TD5, a 101, we have loved them and suffered with them. And as we got older, we looked for alternatives. And drove Jeep JK, much more comfortable than a Landy, but needed many improvements to make it drive straight. And then came the Grenadier! But I am 64 and would like to travel a few more years with a reliable car, gladly also offroad as before (Albania, Iceland, Namibia, South Africa...). And if the Grenadier should have many quirks, such a Landy 2.0, then a plan B must come. A Mercedes G 400 Diesel year 2022 in sandy yellow is close by. So the idea came to this question.

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Leaving oldtimers like the Wolf and others aside there are a few modern versions of the G comparable with what Ineos promises and tries to deliver.
The Professional models are comparable. G 270 TDI Professional, G 300 CDI Professional (mine), G 350 Professional. All of them are well-proven Offroaders. Probably one of the best ever made. All of them are minimalistic. Striped to the minimum which means driving comfort could be better. In other words, you will hear the wonderful engine sound very well. No electronics. No bings and bongs...

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
We have had many Landys, Series III, 90s, 110tdi, TD5, a 101, we have loved them and suffered with them. And as we got older, we looked for alternatives. And drove Jeep JK, much more comfortable than a Landy, but needed many improvements to make it drive straight. And then came the Grenadier! But I am 64 and would like to travel a few more years with a reliable car, gladly also offroad as before (Albania, Iceland, Namibia, South Africa...). And if the Grenadier should have many quirks, such a Landy 2.0, then a plan B must come. A Mercedes G 400 Diesel year 2022 in sandy yellow is close by. So the idea came to this questi
The 400 Diesel is the only option of the current lineup I would even consider. All others consume too much fuel and restrict your radius off the grid. What speaks against it? It has no solid axle in front and a lot of electronics are built in.

Back
Top Bottom