The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Is the Mercedees G an alternative to the Grenadier?

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:30 AM
Reaction score
We have had many Landys, Series III, 90s, 110tdi, TD5, a 101, we have loved them and suffered with them. And as we got older, we looked for alternatives. And drove Jeep JK, much more comfortable than a Landy, but needed many improvements to make it drive straight. And then came the Grenadier! But I am 64 and would like to travel a few more years with a reliable car, gladly also offroad as before (Albania, Iceland, Namibia, South Africa...). And if the Grenadier should have many quirks, such a Landy 2.0, then a plan B must come. A Mercedes G 400 Diesel year 2022 in sandy yellow is close by. So the idea came to this question.
Even if the 400D is one hell of an engine. What a torque. :cool: had it in an E class vehicle for testing once.
But - I agree with @chrsbe - Not to be considered as an off roader anymore. Most certainly not for what you want (Namibia etc. )

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
They are very similar in professional grade:

GGB means G Class Governmental Business. - These vehicles are sold to authorities only. - In the future they will never be authorised to be sold to civilian or need severe exhaust modification. So this type of G will remain a dream only. Or.. some are more equal..

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
GGB means G Class Governmental Business. - These vehicles are sold to authorities only. - In the future they will never be authorised to be sold to civilian or need severe exhaust modification. So this type of G will remain a dream only. Or.. some are more equal..
You can get them as used cars if you are patient.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You can get them as used cars if you are patient.
The problem is - even as used cars - a current new G for government is EURO III and only vehicles that were approved on road before EURO IV was minimum could be converted to civil. If a vehicle is now EURO III 2023 and then converted in to civil use in a couple of years when fuel burning vehicles to civilians will be prohibited in EU - that will be a challenge. May be there will be some magic or wisdom to our famous EU people.

nickelnoff

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I considered the 2009 PUR edition and the subsequent w461 2010 - 2015 models. I believe these has solid front axels. The newer ones I don't believe do.
Problem is that the w461 layer models are fairly rare with any reasonable amount of mileage and the 12+ year models are still going for the price of a new IG unless your you start looking at very high mileage vehicles.
Not a fan of the new ones at all since the interior is over done and I'd feel like I would need to take my shoes off when getting in in case it gets muddy.

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:30 PM
Reaction score
I've got another thread where I'm weighing up the pros & cons of the Grenadier vs W463 G-Wagen. I have a G350 Bluetec which is theroetically being replaced by the Grenadier. I have just returned from a 3000km shakedown trip in the Grenadier and will post my comparison thoughts when I get a chance.

offender110

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:30 PM
Reaction score
I owned a W463 G500 for 12 years as my daily driver and I can say 100% it’s a comparable car to the Grenadier (when comparing to the W463/pre 2018 body). I ended up selling my G given the image that I just couldn’t stand. I outfitted mine in the Pur/Professional style.

Lots of similarities:

- Reciprocal ball steering
- Solid front/rear axles
- Triple lock diffs
- Body bumpers/side cladding
- Swing out rear doors (Pur editions had barn doors)
- Magna as an engineering partner
- Both made in Mercedes factories outside Germany (Austria vs France)
- Both created by wealthy men needing an off-roader (Sir Jim vs King of Iran)

With all the downsides of the image of the W463, I do think it goes down as the ‘air cooled 911’ of the SUV world. You really can’t beat the build quality and door thud!

IMG_4451.jpeg

GTank

Last edited:

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Car And Driver has a review up of the G550 Professional. I've never driven one, but on paper? I'd rather have a Grenadier and a nice used 911 or Cayman! ;)

Perhaps. - If you would be allowed to purchase one.
The professional series of MB G will only be sold for government use only. (Military, Police, Firefighters .. )
Used perhaps and if any regulatory issues in sense of emissions are met.

Local time
12:30 AM
Reaction score
Perhaps. - If you would be allowed to purchase one.
The professional series of MB G will only be sold for government use only. (Military, Police, Firefighters .. )
Used perhaps and if any regulatory issues in sense of emissions are met.
It's a package in the States. Looks like they leave of the flashy bits and charge (a lot) for common sense black bits. I don't think a USA G550 Professional is anything like an EU G550 Professional.

Professional PKG.PNG

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It seems so. The article refers to „where available„ This means in the US okay perhaps in Africa okay but in EU a NoGo. Over here the professional version is diesel no Ad Blue Emissions Class Euro 3 etc. Beam axles and very few amenities
But the government servants are more equal than their masters (we the people) Perhaps it’s time to show the servants the whip..
Back to topic a proper old school G is a very mature and capable offroad vehicle:
Seen Saturday a white G, From it’s appearance estimate 1985 built but no rust, except some on the steel rims, classic textile seats and trim.
no add ons, no modification.. factory. smelt a bit of wet dog however.
Likely Petrol/Gas powered when looking at exhaust pipe but . no signs at rear. Was parked close to me.. so I had a look at it.
So quite a lasting make.
Purchase a G is quite an investment.. even in this age.

Gaston the Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:30 AM
Reaction score
Witham Military Vehicle sales (UK) had a fleet of mint B6 armoured G500’s (left hand drive) with stupidly low mileage. Some of them had less than 10k km’s on them.
They were used for ferrying top brass around where they might feel threatened (Salisbury Plain, parts of European NATO).
Same price as a Grenadier. Probably £300k when new.
Might well be in Ukraine by now as all the G’s disappeared from Witham’s site in one go. Shame. Was tempted for a while, but didn’t have the balls to pull the trigger on one.

Local time
Reaction score
Our delivery date is getting further and further behind, plus the teething problems and poor service from Ineos, I am now looking at alternatives.

Apart from the big price difference, can anyone compare the two? Maybe someone has already driven both? Pros and cons?
I have owned and driven a 2005 G500 (W463) and there are a lot of similarities. But the Ineos does everything that vehicle does, but better. As for the current G Wagen: it has gone the route of the Range Rover and is being sold as a "Fashion Sttement", not as a serious off-road vehicle....

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have owned and driven a 2005 G500 (W463) and there are a lot of similarities. But the Ineos does everything that vehicle does, but better. As for the current G Wagen: it has gone the route of the Range Rover and is being sold as a "Fashion Sttement", not as a serious off-road vehicle....
Hi @Fidei Defensor, I'm interested in a G-Wagon at the same time as my Grenadier. However, I feel the same way as you do. I don't want a fashion car for the city. My dealer told me that G-Wagons are no longer available to order in Germany. I would have to buy them in Austria, for example.
Now I've been offered a G500 short version (this is rare, not many were built), with a genuine 5 litre capacity, 1st hand, built in 2008 with only approx. 40Tkm.
I can't imagine that, as you write, the Ineos can do better than the G-wagon.

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:30 PM
Reaction score
Hi @Fidei Defensor, I'm interested in a G-Wagon at the same time as my Grenadier. However, I feel the same way as you do. I don't want a fashion car for the city. My dealer told me that G-Wagons are no longer available to order in Germany. I would have to buy them in Austria, for example.
Now I've been offered a G500 short version (this is rare, not many were built), with a genuine 5 litre capacity, 1st hand, built in 2008 with only approx. 40Tkm.
@rovie sorry to see that you are in Germany as my G350 W463 is for sale - probably the last of the fully analogue G's without going full Prof. I sadly cannot justify keeping both a G-Wagen AND Grenadier.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hm, I am indeed with @Fidei Defensor .. the Grenadier seems at least in its capability off-road similar or advanced to old G.. Okay, build quality of. Mercedes is something we can dispute. Some may think a G has better built quality but last weekend I had a chat with a G owner who was with us as a guest hunter. He complained about rusting at the G. He owns a G 500 from 2000s. Of course the Grenadier is just a bit more than one year available. It’s long term durability need to be proven. Too many just trust in brand names .. „Its a Mercedes Benz“ forgetting the fact Mercedes also made a few bollocks in the past. The Moose Test is just one of it. The W210 was very prone to rusting. micro van like the A class based Vaneo.. massive quality issues. I owned one for a short while.. it was just a defect. From power windows, mirrors, automatic transmission.. injector.. I owned a couple of Mercedes Benz from A class, E class, to GLK. The last was probably the best in built quality with exception of massive snarl near rear inside view mirror at high speed and seat covers that were dissolving after 2 years of use.. What Benz can do is create reliable and lasting engines..
Got the chance to test drive a G a couple of years ago. Did not impress me much.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@rovie sorry to see that you are in Germany as my G350 W463 is for sale - probably the last of the fully analogue G's without going full Prof. I sadly cannot justify keeping both a G-Wagen AND Grenadier.
Thank you Solmanic, I am still weighing up whether I will buy a G-Wagon, but if a new one or as good as new.
I had already said here in the forum that the Mercedes brand is no prestige for me. More than 20 years ago I had 3 different models (no G-Wagons) and didn’t want any more, but now we ordered a Sprinter 4x4. Let’s see if we get disappointed, the G-Wagon would be meant as a replacement for the Disco 4 when it reaches retirement age.

Back
Top Bottom