The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Is the Mercedees G an alternative to the Grenadier?

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:30 AM
Reaction score
Thank you Solmanic, I am still weighing up whether I will buy a G-Wagon, but if a new one or as good as new.
I had already said here in the forum that the Mercedes brand is no prestige for me. More than 20 years ago I had 3 different models (no G-Wagons) and didn’t want any more, but now we ordered a Sprinter 4x4. Let’s see if we get disappointed, the G-Wagon would be meant as a replacement for the Disco 4 when it reaches retirement age.
You ordered a sprinter 4x4 .. private camper or commercial use? I see here occasionally one used by a company doing the fiber wire stuff, grey closed commercial type ..

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:30 AM
Reaction score
You ordered a sprinter 4x4 .. private camper or commercial use? I see here occasionally one used by a company doing the fiber wire stuff, grey closed commercial type ..
Commercial. Subsequently built on purpose.

Local time
5:30 AM
Reaction score
I looked at a 2014 G-550 last summer - this model has the naturally aspirated V8 gas engine. It only had 50,000 miles on it - which is pretty lightly used for a 2014. They wanted $71,000, and it eventually sold for $69,000. I thought pretty seriously about it as the G-Wagen was in a similar price range as the Grenadier. I'm not interested in spending $160,000 on a car, so a new G-Wagen wasn't ever a consideration (and the new ones don't have a solid front axle, so they are a pretty different vehicle).

Pros to the G-Wagen (from my perspective)
1. I prefer a naturally aspirated V8 over a forced induction 6-cylinder (even a straight 6).
2. The G-Wagen makes 360 horsepower, and 360 lb/ft of torque (both better than the gas Grenadier: 282 hp and 332 ft/lb).
3. Heated steering wheel (a huge plus when you live in a place that is often 40 or 50 degrees below freezing in the morning).
4. No "active safety systems" in the G-Wagen (which are standard in all 2024 Grenadiers in North America).
5. Front and rear diff locks engaged and disengaged much better than the Grenadier (at least on my test drives).

Pros to the Grenadier (from my perspective)
1. Manual transfer case.
2. Better on-road (less body roll in corners, more stable when making emergency maneuvers).
3. Better off-road (better articulation than the G-Wagen, which doesn't flex that well for a solid front axle vehicle).
4. More interior space.
5. Recaro seats.
6. But the biggest thing was this: it didn't seem to make sense to buy a 10-year old 4x4 with 50,000 miles on the clock for ~$70,000 when I could but a new Trialmaster for ~$80,000.

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
One comment on G-Wagen's off-road capability: 3 different solid-axle G-Wagens have been on our off-road events and their ability to progress in fairly difficult terrain has been disappointing. Even lockers on both axles have not saved them from winching in places Land Rovers (Disco 1, Defender) could go without problems. And only car that has rolled over on our events is a G-Wagen ...

Unfortunately can't compare to IG.

Local time
Reaction score
One comment on G-Wagen's off-road capability: 3 different solid-axle G-Wagens have been on our off-road events and their ability to progress in fairly difficult terrain has been disappointing. Even lockers on both axles have not saved them from winching in places Land Rovers (Disco 1, Defender) could go without problems. And only car that has rolled over on our events is a G-Wagen ...

Unfortunately can't compare to IG.
Yeah - that is consistent with my (limited) experience. The lack of articulation in the G-Wagen results in it getting tippy in technical terrain. It lifts a tire way before the Grenadier (or a Wrangler), and that is no bueno.

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah - that is consistent with my (limited) experience. The lack of articulation in the G-Wagen results in it getting tippy in technical terrain. It lifts a tire way before the Grenadier (or a Wrangler), and that is no bueno.
Also the Solid axle G wagon is very tall and narrow in comparison to the Gren or jeeps etc. Probably didn't help in roll over situations

Tonyh

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:30 PM
Reaction score
Have had 2 GWagons from new, a 350 diesel in 2010 and a 400 diesel in 2021.
Grenadier is definitely more comparable to the 350 as steering is same and ride is similar.
The 400 was a different beast, far more refined in every way.
The 350 had older technology that the Grenadier and felt its age. The Grenadier is a fairly basic vehicle but you have to consider that the Grenadier was built to be predominantly an off roader.
Which would I have? That depends on what you’re using it for.
There’s no way I would off road a 400d GWagon but I may take an older cheaper 350. That said, the Grenadier is far more comfortable than a 350d and has a warranty.
My thoughts are based from owning all 3, the Grenadier (virtually every option box ticked except for saddle leather) being owned from Sep this year.

Local time
Reaction score
The one that has "INEOS Automotive" on the piston is from Ineos Automotive.
Well the lneos looks good then. lt was the "Made in Germany" on the door casing that threw me.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well the lneos looks good then. lt was the "Made in Germany" on the door casing that threw me.
It appears that Magna is manufacturing the doors directly and supplying them to Ineos.

Local time
11:30 PM
Reaction score
I looked at a 2014 G-550 last summer - this model has the naturally aspirated V8 gas engine. It only had 50,000 miles on it - which is pretty lightly used for a 2014. They wanted $71,000, and it eventually sold for $69,000. I thought pretty seriously about it as the G-Wagen was in a similar price range as the Grenadier. I'm not interested in spending $160,000 on a car, so a new G-Wagen wasn't ever a consideration (and the new ones don't have a solid front axle, so they are a pretty different vehicle).

Pros to the G-Wagen (from my perspective)
1. I prefer a naturally aspirated V8 over a forced induction 6-cylinder (even a straight 6).
2. The G-Wagen makes 360 horsepower, and 360 lb/ft of torque (both better than the gas Grenadier: 282 hp and 332 ft/lb).
3. Heated steering wheel (a huge plus when you live in a place that is often 40 or 50 degrees below freezing in the morning).
4. No "active safety systems" in the G-Wagen (which are standard in all 2024 Grenadiers in North America).
5. Front and rear diff locks engaged and disengaged much better than the Grenadier (at least on my test drives).

Pros to the Grenadier (from my perspective)
1. Manual transfer case.
2. Better on-road (less body roll in corners, more stable when making emergency maneuvers).
3. Better off-road (better articulation than the G-Wagen, which doesn't flex that well for a solid front axle vehicle).
4. More interior space.
5. Recaro seats.
6. But the biggest thing was this: it didn't seem to make sense to buy a 10-year old 4x4 with 50,000 miles on the clock for ~$70,000 when I could but a new Trialmaster for ~$80,000.
And then you see a deal like this one, not much more expensive than a well equipped TM and start thinking of all the capabilities of the portal axles… https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...ghtspeed_banner&referralCode=messenger_banner

Tarheel

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The Carolina Squat serves as evidence that D-bags drive all kinds of vehicles in North Carolina
The Squat guys are the ones that buy the G-wagon after buying a winning scratch off ticket:)

Local time
Reaction score
The Mercedes seems a great vehicle particularly the older ones but they are so damned ugly, you wouldn't walk away from it and look back.
Where you definitely would with a Grenadier. I think that's important when you are spending close to 100k on a vehicle

Back
Top Bottom