The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier Weight

das mo

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:39 AM
Reaction score
All good.
Weight info in COC is bull$^#t.
Nicely balanced car at 2874kg.
Trial Diesel with Safari Windows and sidesteps.
Not sure where the extra weight left back is coming from though.
Spare wheel and gas tank hang on the right.

IMG_7931.jpeg

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
Some thoughts on this intensively discussed topic. I was wondering which car compares best to the Grenadier aside of all options that have been alreday mentioned in terms of weight. So I was looking for some technical data on the Mercedes-Benz G-Class series 464 which is the latest military spec version with a decent and modern inline 6 diesel and 183kW. Power rating seems to be familiar with the Grenadier community.

The huge downside of this vehicle is the fact that is only available to governmental sales in Euro III spec. Nevertheless, from my point of view one of the rare - somewhat - modern(ized) 4x4 around that allow for comparison. As it's not available to the public, prices are upon speculation but keep in mind, that the old G350d Preofessional (W461) was already above todays Grenadier level, makes it still not look like a bargain, but at leat reasonable.

Back to the weight. As I assume, for good reason, Mercedes-Benz does not publish precise numbers for empty weight or payload. Only the fact, that it goes up to 3,500kg for the station wagon or 4,900kg for the chassis cab plus 3,500kg trailer weight each.

There is one hint for the payload of the chassis cab. It says: "The permissible gross weight of 4.9 tonnes allows a payload of 2.5 tonnes." Equals 2,400kg unladen. For my perception in the Grenadiers ballpark. Add Euro VI exhaust after treatment, a wagon body and rear row seats, it's not far away.

https://ggb.mercedes-benz.com/en/ve...eries-464/mercedes-benz-g-350-d-station-wagon
https://ggb.mercedes-benz.com/en/ve...-series-464/mercedes-benz-g-350-d-chassis-cab

BG_G_Basisfahrzeug_CGI_04.jpg

Max

Local time
11:09 AM
Reaction score
Just thought it was time to resurrect this thread with Grenadier weights after people have completed their modifications.
In my case I have a Diesel Trialmaster with a winch, roo bar, brush bars, rock sliders, 4 factory roof bars 7.2 kg each, solar panel 9kg, 2 Arb compressors with bash plate, ( bash plate is 2.7kg ), 1500w inverter, 270 degree awning 28kg, 4 max tracks. factory cargo barriers, UHF radio, a few spare parts and fluids approximately 10kg, extensive tool kit including 18v drill, 18v grinder, 18v 1/2" impact driver all brushless, sockets spanners, levers, tools all up 25 - 30 kg, a fair bit of recovery gear, 2 fire extinguishers, full tank of fuel, and full add blue tank. and shovel.
All the gear I take for remote travel but no food, clothes, water and fridge, but the weight came to a mouth watering 3310 kg.
I expected the weight to be 150 -200kg less, so I am still in shock.
No driver in that weight.

Last edited:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:39 AM
Reaction score
Just thought it was time to resurrect this thread with Grenadier weights after people have completed their modifications.
In my case I have a Diesel Trialmaster with a winch, roo bar, brush bars, rock sliders, 4 factory roof bars 7.2 kg each, solar panel 9kg, 2 Arb compressors with bash plate, ( bash plate is 2.7kg ), 1500w inverter, 270 degree owning 28kg, 4 max tracks. factory cargo barriers, UHF radio, a few spare parts and fluids approximately 10kg, extensive tool kit including 18v drill, 18v grinder, 18v 1/2" impact driver all brushless, sockets spanners, levers, tools all up 25 - 30 kg, a fair bit of recovery gear, 2 fire extinguishers, full tank of fuel, and full add blue tank. and shovel.
All the gear I take for remote travel but no food, clothes, water and fridge, but the weight came to a mouth watering 3310 kg.
I expected the weight to be 150 -200kg less, so I am still in shock.
No driver in that weight.
Looks like you will be able to take the dog, but the wife and kids will have to stay at home.

Local time
Reaction score
Looks like you will be able to take the dog, but the wife and kids will have to stay at home.
Hi Dave,

Have you weighed yours, I guess your diesel Fieldmaster would be under 3 tonne.
People with diesel Trialmasters with factory roof rack 63kg and a rear draw system approximately 100kg and a few tools and recovery gear, their vehicles must be a fair bit heavier than my portly beast.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Dave,

Have you weighed yours, I guess your diesel Fieldmaster would be under 3 tonne.
People with diesel Trialmasters with factory roof rack 63kg and a rear draw system approximately 100kg and a few tools and recovery gear, their vehicles must be a fair bit heavier than my portly beast.
Hi
I haven't weighed mine but with the major accessories I have and with me in it just over 3,000 kgs would seem about it.
I ruled out the factory rack as being too heavy, high and ugly.
Mine is the Fieldmaster but with all the Trialmaster add ons.
Diff locks, extra battery, front tow hitch, extra wiring, steps, bar and side bars.
Probably should weigh it to get a baseline before I start adding stuff.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
2 Arb compressors
Why two? Would save some KGs to leave one at home.

1500w inverter,
Why 1500W? This thing is a beast, I guess. If you draw 1500W from your battery, it will be at 50% after 27 Minutes. And 50%
means "empty". So in my opinion, a 1500 W inverter doesn't make sense. Might make a few KGs less.

May be others will find more ...

Local time
Reaction score
Why two? Would save some KGs to leave one at home.

Why 1500W? This thing is a beast, I guess. If you draw 1500W from your battery, it will be at 50% after 27 Minutes. And 50%
means "empty". So in my opinion, a 1500 W inverter doesn't make sense. Might make a few KGs less.

May be others will find more ...
The 2 ARB compressors are mounted between the chassis and sill panel and separately wired for redundancy, for solo remote travel adjusting or changing tyre pressures happens quite often depending on the terrain.
The 1500w inverter is used to power my compact coffee machine with frother "Nespresso" stored in a hard case, and for charging 18v batteries.
I am an addict ( coffee ).
Making a coffee only takes 1 to 2 minutes.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
As a being a coffee lunatic myself, I understand you want good coffee.

But I use a Bialetti and a gas burner which is perfect (for me).

But if you must have a 1500 Watt inverter - there is no help. And redundant compressors are no better. A light one and an even lighter one as a backup would do as well.

Perhaps you need an Unimog for your needs. 🤷‍♂️

Local time
Reaction score
As a being a coffee lunatic myself, I understand you want good coffee.

But I use a Bialetti and a gas burner which is perfect (for me).

But if you must have a 1500 Watt inverter - there is no help. And redundant compressors are no better. A light one and an even lighter one as a backup would do as well.

Perhaps you need an Unimog for your needs. 🤷‍♂️
Lots of people use ARB twin compressors on this forum, mine just happen to be 2 singles, the benefits are significant, the weight is an additional 5 - 6 kg, a back up small portable compressor apart from taking up cabin space would be about 3kg. the 1,500 watt inverter does not weigh very much, If I cull my tools and recovery gear to a minimum I may loose 25kg.
The 5 Black Rhino rims and the 295/70r17 Yokohama tyre combination that I have are 9kg each lighter than the factory 17" steel rims with BF Goodrich tyres, so that is a 45kg saving.
I think people will be shocked if they take their diesel Trialmasters with factory winch roo bar and rockslides to a weigh bridge.
I also may take my Ineos to a different weigh bridge just in case it was a bad reading.
I love Unimogs, but I would not be able to afford the fuel bills, and also I like the Grenadier more.

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
Dave,
My dog is 92.2kg, 203 pounds, and he doesn't fit in the back of the Grenadier, and I would have to pack an additional 15 - 20kg of food per week. You can see a picture of him on the thread steps added to rock sliders.
Roland " the dog " is the only reason my wife let me keep the 955 Cayenne Turbo, all in my cleaver "devious" planning he fits in the Cayenne with the back seats folded flat, the Grenadier has a cargo barrier.
Jacquie ( wife ) is considerably lighter, and eats considerably less.

Last edited:

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I'm getting curious now.

Your car is heavy.
Your dog is heavy.

How about you? 🤔

;)

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The 2 ARB compressors are mounted between the chassis and sill panel and separately wired for redundancy, for solo remote travel adjusting or changing tyre pressures happens quite often depending on the terrain.
The 1500w inverter is used to power my compact coffee machine with frother "Nespresso" stored in a hard case, and for charging 18v batteries.
I am an addict ( coffee ).
Making a coffee only takes 1 to 2 minutes.
On an aside... the twin ARB is basically two singles together, pull a fuse from one side and the other 'single' will still operate as a single compressor.... :)

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I had my 2 seat petrol trialmaster with full fuel tank professionally weighed. Extras are
- winch
- bull bar
- side protection rails
- rock sliders
- alloy 17” wheels

Results
- Front axle 1495 kg (max 1667 kg)
- Rear axle 1375 kg (max 2150 kg)
- Total 2870 kg

Local time
Reaction score
I'm getting curious now.

Your car is heavy.
Your dog is heavy.

How about you? 🤔

;)
I am a bit under 80kg.
And emax, the 1500 watt inverter doesn't consume 1500 watts as soon as you switch it on, it is load dependant. The inverter claims it is 99% efficient but I doubt it is that efficient, I am running 35mm square, 2 AWG cable to it with a 150 amp resettable fuse next to the battery, so there will be very little heat loss.
Roland is a Irish Wolfhound, we have had 8 Irish wolfhounds quite often 2 at the same time over the last 40 years, all show dogs Roland is now retired from the show ring, but he is tall and very broad, and a very affectionate Irish Wolfhound.
Our next dog will be much smaller, probably a female Greyhound, so far lighter, about one third of the weight and will fit in the Grenadier easily.

Last edited:

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Thank you for your answer. But I hope you know that I'm kidding a bit and don't mean it personally. You shouldn't take it too seriously.

As for the inverter: Of course I know that it doesn't necessarily always deliver 1500 Watts. But I thought about why one should install such a powerful thing. I don't know the weight of yours but I know that e.g. a Victron 1600 W inverter weighs ~ 12Kg, not including cables and accessories.

My experience is that Victron is a good comparison as their safety and quality is (for me) the benchmark, which so to say automatically results in a weight one should take into account. Chinese competitors may be at 7 or 8Kg, I know, But I wouldn't trust them. And even 7Kg is still a considerable weight.

So if you switch to a small gas burner for your coffee, you can do without not only the big inverter but also the Nespresso machine. A Bialetti weighs much less and 250g of coffee is only a pack of under 260g because you don't have to carry around a bag of plastic waste...

This sounds all like not being relevant for the overall problem. But expedition professionals say that each single gram counts. And as a motorcyclist I have always been focused on this topic. I can confirm that I managed over the years to reduce my long-travel equipment weight considerably by following the expedition principle over years. My ambition was to save some more weight every time I had a new trip.

After 25 years it was almost 50% less (always compared with the same type of other such trips: A camping trip is different from a Bed & Breakfast trip).

The ideal match for the bialetti is btw this coffee. Highest quality and a really fabulous taste from Sicily for 3,80€/pkg (including shipping since I use to order 30-40 packages once every few months):

morettino.jpg

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
After the last Grenadier weight reading from a sand and metal place I was shocked at their now I know inaccurate weight of 3310kg.
Today I went to an official and accurate weigh bridge and with a full tank of fuel, and all the same tools and recovery gear for remote travel as the last weigh in, it came to a far more respectable 3160kg.
The extra 150kg payload to get to the 3550kg limit will be handy.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I think it would be a good idea to tell your Australian friends where the bad scale/weigh bridge is … 🤷‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom