The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Fender / checker plate question

G-Man

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:54 PM
Reaction score
Just fitted Bison Gear fender plates with the supplied 3m adhesive tape. There is no way that’s coming off so rivets aren’t required. I was a bit hesitant at first. There are 3 pre drilled holes which needed filling in. So I purchased some 5mm plastic end caps, used a Stanley knife to reduce down to 3mm so it doesn’t poke out of the other side. Really happy with the quality of the fender plates, looks amazing and I can rest my cups of tea.
No interference between the top of the checker plate and the underside of the bonnet? Looks pretty close.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
9:54 PM
Reaction score
Can they in case of a MOT / TÜV veto be removed without damaging the fenders?

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Can they in case of a MOT / TÜV veto be removed without damaging the fenders?
With some difficulty, heat gun, plenty of swearing and some cheese wire maybe. But surely MOT tester won’t bat an eyelid. I wouldn’t worry. Worst case take it to some back street MOT tester, they don’t give one.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
9:54 PM
Reaction score
I only wrote MOT to make it clear that this is about the authorities.

Unfortunately, the German TÜV can be very picky. And to replace two fenders just because of an unsatisfied TÜV officer is a costly option (i.e. that's not really an option ...). 🤷‍♂️

But thank you anyway for the replies. :)

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:54 PM
Reaction score
Just fitted Bison Gear fender plates with the supplied 3m adhesive tape. There is no way that’s coming off so rivets aren’t required. I was a bit hesitant at first. There are 3 pre drilled holes which needed filling in. So I purchased some 5mm plastic end caps, used a Stanley knife to reduce down to 3mm so it doesn’t poke out of the other side. Really happy with the quality of the fender plates, looks amazing and I can rest my cups of tea.
They look great. What are your thoughts on water and debris collecting between the plates and fender/wing?

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
They look great. What are your thoughts on water and debris collecting between the plates and fender/wing?
Funny you should mention that. There are a couple of improvements that Bison could make. 1. Use black 3M adhesive tape instead of grey (I can see the grey tape underneath and looks unfinished). Therefore I have contemplated using a fine automotive black silicone to go around the edges (tucked inside just to hide the grey tape). However, my biggest concern is if water is trapped inside, how would it get out). 2. Alternatively maybe Bison should not of put the tape so close to the edges. I’m not concerned about rust, it’s aluminium. 3. Bison should include the plugs which I made up for those who don’t want to rivet.

Overall, it’s a fantastic product. No regrets. I’ll see about the silicone, what do people think?

See picture, wouldn’t worry about debris with the amount of tape that’s on.

Attachments

• IMG_3483.jpeg
    IMG_3483.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:54 PM
Reaction score
Funny you should mention that. There are a couple of improvements that Bison could make. 1. Use black 3M adhesive tape instead of grey (I can see the grey tape underneath and looks unfinished). Therefore I have contemplated using a fine automotive black silicone to go around the edges (tucked inside just to hide the grey tape). However, my biggest concern is if water is trapped inside, how would it get out). 2. Alternatively maybe Bison should not of put the tape so close to the edges. I’m not concerned about rust, it’s aluminium. 3. Bison should include the plugs which I made up for those who don’t want to rivet.

Overall, it’s a fantastic product. No regrets. I’ll see about the silicone, what do people think?

See picture, wouldn’t worry about debris with the amount of tape that’s on.
I think silicone around the edge is a good idea. Maybe mask it off with painters tape for clean lines. Also, could fill the rivet holes as well?

Back
Top Bottom