The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Fender / checker plate question

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:53 AM
Reaction score
I'm still waiting to find someone in UK to cut/bend some chequer for the bonnet. I haven't invested too much time in to that yet but will do so soon.

In the meantime if you want hassle free but don't mind getting hit with shipping and duty/vat costs then;

I quite fancy these as they look like the original. I won’t be using rivets just stuck on. Does anyone think this would be an issue?

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I quite fancy these as they look like the original. I won’t be using rivets just stuck on. Does anyone think this would be an issue?
I wouldn't have thought so for occasional standing on etc but for frequent use of weighting/unweighting coupled with direct sun/shade (ok we're not in the UAE) I would rivet. Also depends what you prefer aesthetically I guess.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:53 AM
Reaction score
While there's no doubt the mudguard/fender can support the advertised "distributed" weight in total, the actual "point load" should also be taken into account. While modern double sided tapes are very good, the layer between the adhesive surfaces of the tape, can in time, be prone to deterioration. Using rivets as well as double sided tape ("belt and braces") ensures a uniform load transference. (my $0.02 contribution! ;))
I deliberately excluded the 'fender plates' from contention originally. I am having second thoughts of late as I can now 'see' their practicality (function over form! 😜) One can always invent new uses for a 'must have' addition!!! (form before function?🤓

Paco Garcia

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
3:53 AM
Reaction score
I was under the impression they are not road legal in the UK due to the guillotining effect in a crash?
That's what I was told by the sales/garage chaps during the ordering process which is why the UK ""spec usually only has the plastic version as a clickable option""
Hi James, can you confirm that there really is a version of "Plastic" plates, as you say? I went to the UK configurator and there is nothing there, not even in Spanish of course. It would be interesting to see what they are like?

jamesfielding

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi James, can you confirm that there really is a version of "Plastic" plates, as you say? I went to the UK configurator and there is nothing there, not even in Spanish of course. It would be interesting to see what they are like?
Morning Paco,

I'll be honest, I cannot find a single reference to them, I've looked all over the internet and I have messaged my local dealer to see what they come back with.
I would swear blind that when I configured mine (September August 2022), I specifically didn't choose the aluminium ones as Ineos stated not road legal due to possible guillotine effect in collision and the plastic ones looked like the BMW plaque on the bonnet, which I figured was rather bulky, hoping someone in the aftermarket would produce a slightly slicker plastic one that was "UK Compliant."

Attached is a screen grab from the February 2023 accessories booklet.

If the dealership replies, I'll come back again

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-07-29 at 09.57.42.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-29 at 09.57.42.png
    61.6 KB · Views: 70
Reactions: PBD

G-Man

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I've checker plated old Land Rovers in the past because let's face it, it looks cool AF. But that was in my young impressionable days 😋 and at the moment I'm not inclined to take a hand drill to swiss cheese the panels on a brand new £80k vehicle. It might be a contentious statement, but unless you're planning on regularly tap dancing across your bonnet I'd recommend some restraint in this particular area. There are other ways to gain a four foot elevation: Climb a tree or bring a step ladder for instance.

Then again, if you're the kind of guy who wears steel toe capped boots out to dinner then crack on, you're already a lost cause ;)

jamesfielding

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I've checker plated old Land Rovers in the past because let's face it, it looks cool AF. But that was in my young impressionable days 😋 and at the moment I'm not inclined to take a hand drill to swiss cheese the panels on a brand new £80k vehicle. It might be a contentious statement, but unless you're planning on regularly tap dancing across your bonnet I'd recommend some restraint in this particular area. There are other ways to gain a four foot elevation: Climb a tree or bring a step ladder for instance.

Then again, if you're the kind of guy who wears steel toe capped boots out to dinner then crack on, you're already a lost cause ;)
I do agree with you, however, when working out in the field, having a very convenient height table that I'm not worried about scratching would be nice.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The chequer plates I sourced in South Africa but made and distributed from the U.K. but not sold in the U.K. are plastic coated aluminium

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

I wear mine in the shower

Paco Garcia

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I was researching the topic for a long time and after giving it a lot of thought I saw two possibilities, one that I found with the help of Dabull, which is this one

And the other option is to use a 3 mm sheet of high-density polyethylene (HDPE) but in this case it is smooth and has no protrusions, but it would not look bad either.

Regards
Paco Garcia

YIPPE

GG #00286
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:53 AM
Reaction score
While there's no doubt the mudguard/fender can support the advertised "distributed" weight in total, the actual "point load" should also be taken into account. While modern double sided tapes are very good, the layer between the adhesive surfaces of the tape, can in time, be prone to deterioration. Using rivets as well as double sided tape ("belt and braces") ensures a uniform load transference. (my $0.02 contribution! ;))
I deliberately excluded the 'fender plates' from contention originally. I am having second thoughts of late as I can now 'see' their practicality (function over form! 😜) One can always invent new uses for a 'must have' addition!!! (form before function?🤓
I excluded these from my order initially too. However after my first service my ceramic coat was severely scratched from service "blanket"/fender cover. In daylight it's hard to see but in the garage with ceiling lights, it's right in my face and it's bad and I hate knowing it's there haha. Whether I have it buffed now or later it's the exact same process and can be ceramic coated once again... at my expense unfortunately, and it seems it could be a recurring problem until I start servicing it myself. Soo.... Bisongear adhesive panels are on their way to me as my solution/prevention to future scratching Currently 10% discount, so delivered to door was $438 AUD. Just cheaper than originally opting for ineos checker plate.
They only use adhesive tape, which I liked, look to be slightly larger than ineos ones too. Only pickle I have is to determine whether I remove ceramic coating first or stick straight on.

Also to note I did stand on the fender plates of a demo car, held my 105kg fine. My wife said she saw slight deflection, nothing permanent though.

jamesfielding

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I was researching the topic for a long time and after giving it a lot of thought I saw two possibilities, one that I found with the help of Dabull, which is this one

And the other option is to use a 3 mm sheet of high-density polyethylene (HDPE) but in this case it is smooth and has no protrusions, but it would not look bad either.

Regards
Paco Garcia
Do you think something like this would work?

Paco Garcia

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Seguro que si, estuve mirando el que es completamente liso y se veía genial, además lo puedes pintar en gris/negro mate, para evitar esa sensación plástica del brillo, el que realmente me gusta es el que encontró @DaBull, que imita al de aluminio, el problema es que solo se vende en EEUU, y no he encontrado nada similar aquí en Europa.

jamesfielding

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Seguro que si, estuve mirando el que es completamente liso y se veía genial, además lo puedes pintar en gris/negro mate, para evitar esa sensación plástica del brillo, el que realmente me gusta es el que encontró @DaBull, que imita al de aluminio, el problema es que solo se vende en EEUU, y no he encontrado nada similar aquí en Europa.
The link I sent was from a UK company (y)

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
There are after market offers - from Abenteuer 4x4, for example.

They are plastic coated Aluminium plates. But in Germany they don't have an ABE = Allgemeine BetriebsErlaubnis = General operating permit. And you will never get one. 🤷‍♂️

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Just fitted Bison Gear fender plates with the supplied 3m adhesive tape. There is no way that’s coming off so rivets aren’t required. I was a bit hesitant at first. There are 3 pre drilled holes which needed filling in. So I purchased some 5mm plastic end caps, used a Stanley knife to reduce down to 3mm so it doesn’t poke out of the other side. Really happy with the quality of the fender plates, looks amazing and I can rest my cups of tea.

Attachments

• IMG_3550.jpeg
    IMG_3550.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3551.jpeg
    IMG_3551.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3554.jpeg
    IMG_3554.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3553.jpeg
    IMG_3553.jpeg