The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Early Impression after ringing ours out

Mountain4x4

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:44 AM
Reaction score
Wife is about to pull in with our new Grenadier, she had to stop by our office. We picked it up from Red Nolen on Friday late, and ran Hatchet and Longwater gulches near the dealer in Colorado. A bit much for a new rig? Depends, its hard to test the capabilities off these and those trails did it with some fairly serious obstacles that 2 of 3 Broncos on 35s turned around at. Lockers required. From an off road stand point, what can I say. I would have skipped those obstacles in our Four Runner with rear locker, we would have not made it most likely or it would have been a battle. For those wondering about rock crawling, these crawl like a boss. Several times my wife was like WTF? You just went over that with out any effort?

Off road key impressions;

1. In the land of 35" tires these days, I was stunned at how well we did on those tiny tires. 35s go tomorrow of course, but wow, I have never pushed a stock rig on 31s so far! 35s will make this thing a killer. We NEVER scraped except slider once. I would stop and waiting for the metal scraping sound.....and nothing. I had trouble judging clearance. For those used to dragging IFS rigs over every rock down hill, those days are over. And those flat bottom diffs, off set mean less of that annoying as hell diff hang up routine.
2. Stability is exceptional, as in "tippy Ness" I only hated one spot ( the crux climb on Longwater at the top, but even then I felt ok with out a spotter. I only used a spotter one time. ( not there, but probably should have)
3. The flex, of course could be improved by a disconnect. But there were times we floated like a butterfly over stuff that would scare the piss out of us in the old Four Runner, really pretty darn good.
4. I did scratch the bottom of a slider on a ridiculous line that all the BUILT rigs skipped. ( taking there line next time!) Ok, with that. However my wife was supposed to spot me next to a tree as we were almost out and said I was good so I rolled forward and dented the rain gutter because I was not. She was looking DOWN apparently :) So have to fix that. ( make sure spotters know WHERE they should be spotting if they are not experienced) Also roof racks help with this, but the short ones are on back order....sigh.
5. High speed off road is fine for a solid axle, but nothing like an IFS rig can deliver.
6. Door ledges, OMG those are SOOOOOO nice to rest your arm on wheeling.
7. Safari windows are awesome
8. Can it ford? Well, certainly but never "assume" things. We ended over the hood, tires spinning and NO LOCKERS on! Bad move, but we made it fine. We proceeded to watch a number of rigs get stuck and very wet. Big river? Lockers on!
9. Locker actuation. Hit and miss. Sometimes flawless, other times less then optimal. Used them a zillion times.
10. No Back up camera in off road mode? Come on Ineos, that is a real let down. ( this needs a fix)
11. Winch, did not test and forgot to take my block with me anyways. But it should come with something from Ineos. I wont theorize on the neutral issue or line length for now. Luckily others handled the river crossing stucks. besides we were too busy picking up trash! What the hell? Luckily someone left a giant brand new cooler we could use to pick up trash. Grrrr New car full of trash. &*#&#)()@
12. The 4 off road modes, locked and unlocked. Very interesting, gives you options, and you adapt to the systems. The 3 speed limit in low lock is interesting, as well as the tendency to drop from 3-2 on its own very quickly on its own. Need to digest that more.
13. Gearing is quite adequate, although I would take more. Need to see how 35s change that.
14. Sliders did fine, bumpers did fine but did not hit them very hard. Skid plates, well of course need added. But what can you say they drilled the right holes for when they finally start delivering.

On Road:

1. Steering is what it is, not terrible, but certainly not a comfortable as most vehicles. Off road crawling its nice, and I can imagine will be helpful for 35s +
2. Driving and Handling. Its a hard core off roader and purpose built truck, it will handle as such, get over it and move on. If you are not going to be a serious off-roader, you WILL dislike how it handles. Hard to see someone daily driving this coming from a street car.
3. HVAC is a little wonky, but works
4. Stereo, maybe better then I expected.
5. Android auto is about as flaky as any other vehicle. I dislike how changing screens can make you have to go back and reset the radio, or after turning off the vehicle. All other vehicles start back where you left off on the stereo.

Electronic Gizmos:

1. Not going to beat all the old topics to death, Winch in N, ADAS, Stop Start, Cameras, Fuel gauge ( ok this one I will, the fuel gauge is hardly even a good guess at this point) We ran out several times....we were not out of gas lol. Software update is getting VERY close.
2. Overall center screen design. For a first try by a new car company? Really not that bad, slow yes, does not always make sense, and messages like you just licked a cat or use a parking brake in off road mode gets some good laughs. But overall the electronics do not bother me as much as I feared honestly.
3. Other switch lay out, very good. But I hate I can never remember what the overhead power ones do except the main ones. Could be labeled

Overall Problems:

1. As to problems? I really cannot think of much. The Fuel Gauge is not fun. Otherwise maybe a clunk flexing out in the back? Oh, and that rain gutter that needs fixed! ( ok, ok, that is our fault)
2. Let me add windshield wipers skipping

Overall Impressions:

1. Seemingly good build quality and fit and finish for a rooky car maker
2. Some things make more sense if you drive it awhile
3. This a 1% vehicle, like a Power Wagon, it drives hard and works hard.
4. Bronco Owners and Four Runner Owners will be making there way to these, but probably not Jeep guys. For "disenfranchised" Bronco owners, this could be a good group for Ineos to grab. One reason they turn around is they KNOW they will break.
5. You need to take your time EVERYWHERE! Because explaining what it is to every single truck owner, off roader takes a ton of time. So there was this dude sir....... Maybe we can just have some brochures made up to hand out instead? Just keep a box in the truck and when you are in hurry "here you go!"

Last edited:

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:44 AM
Reaction score
10. No Back up camera in off road mode? Come on Ineos, that is a real let down. ( this needs a fix)
When in off road mode, simply go to any of the off road screens, click the 3 bars on the upper left (the hamburger for android folks) and "RVC On"; then you get a constantly on back up camera

Mountain4x4

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for the camera tip! I know we never had them in the past, but it sure is handy. So in 4 Low lock, you are limited to the lowest 3 gears. You can set for 1st gear or 2nd gear and it will stay. But if you select 3 manually it will give you a green 2 and arrow down, and when you slow down it will go right back to 2. Kind of makes sense at times, other times you did not want it to do that. In 4 Low Unlocked you can access all gears as normal, for say Mud or Sand Dunes. But you do lose that center diff lock.

Mountain4x4

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Here we are a month later. We have the HVAC issue with the ridiculously noisy fan, like insects living in it. That will need addressed. About the only other new issue while I read about insane Chevy Colorado Sat Nav issues. How fun is it to watch so many staring at your rig wondering what the bad ass thing is.

Brandtnm

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Wife is about to pull in with our new Grenadier, she had to stop by our office. We picked it up from Red Nolen on Friday late, and ran Hatchet and Longwater gulches near the dealer in Colorado. A bit much for a new rig? Depends, its hard to test the capabilities off these and those trails did it with some fairly serious obstacles that 2 of 3 Broncos on 35s turned around at. Lockers required. From an off road stand point, what can I say. I would have skipped those obstacles in our Four Runner with rear locker, we would have not made it most likely or it would have been a battle. For those wondering about rock crawling, these crawl like a boss. Several times my wife was like WTF? You just went over that with out any effort?

Off road key impressions;

1. In the land of 35" tires these days, I was stunned at how well we did on those tiny tires. 35s go tomorrow of course, but wow, I have never pushed a stock rig on 31s so far! 35s will make this thing a killer. We NEVER scraped except slider once. I would stop and waiting for the metal scraping sound.....and nothing. I had trouble judging clearance. For those used to dragging IFS rigs over every rock down hill, those days are over. And those flat bottom diffs, off set mean less of that annoying as hell diff hang up routine.
2. Stability is exceptional, as in "tippy Ness" I only hated one spot ( the crux climb on Longwater at the top, but even then I felt ok with out a spotter. I only used a spotter one time. ( not there, but probably should have)
3. The flex, of course could be improved by a disconnect. But there were times we floated like a butterfly over stuff that would scare the piss out of us in the old Four Runner, really pretty darn good.
4. I did scratch the bottom of a slider on a ridiculous line that all the BUILT rigs skipped. ( taking there line next time!) Ok, with that. However my wife was supposed to spot me next to a tree as we were almost out and said I was good so I rolled forward and dented the rain gutter because I was not. She was looking DOWN apparently :) So have to fix that. ( make sure spotters know WHERE they should be spotting if they are not experienced) Also roof racks help with this, but the short ones are on back order....sigh.
5. High speed off road is fine for a solid axle, but nothing like an IFS rig can deliver.
6. Door ledges, OMG those are SOOOOOO nice to rest your arm on wheeling.
7. Safari windows are awesome
8. Can it ford? Well, certainly but never "assume" things. We ended over the hood, tires spinning and NO LOCKERS on! Bad move, but we made it fine. We proceeded to watch a number of rigs get stuck and very wet. Big river? Lockers on!
9. Locker actuation. Hit and miss. Sometimes flawless, other times less then optimal. Used them a zillion times.
11. Winch, did not test and forgot to take my block with me anyways. But it should come with something from Ineos. I wont theorize on the neutral issue or line length for now. Luckily others handled the river crossing stucks. besides we were too busy picking up trash! What the hell? Luckily someone left a giant brand new cooler we could use to pick up trash. Grrrr New car full of trash. &*#&#)()@
12. The 4 off road modes, locked and unlocked. Very interesting, gives you options, and you adapt to the systems. The 3 speed limit in low lock is interesting, as well as the tendency to drop from 3-2 on its own very quickly on its own. Need to digest that more.
13. Gearing is quite adequate, although I would take more. Need to see how 35s change that.
14. Sliders did fine, bumpers did fine but did not hit them very hard. Skid plates, well of course need added. But what can you say they drilled the right holes for when they finally start delivering.

On Road:

1. Steering is what it is, not terrible, but certainly not a comfortable as most vehicles. Off road crawling its nice, and I can imagine will be helpful for 35s +
2. Driving and Handling. Its a hard core off roader and purpose built truck, it will handle as such, get over it and move on. If you are not going to be a serious off-roader, you WILL dislike how it handles. Hard to see someone daily driving this coming from a street car.
3. HVAC is a little wonky, but works
4. Stereo, maybe better then I expected.
5. Android auto is about as flaky as any other vehicle. I dislike how changing screens can make you have to go back and reset the radio, or after turning off the vehicle. All other vehicles start back where you left off on the stereo.

Electronic Gizmos:

1. Not going to beat all the old topics to death, Winch in N, ADAS, Stop Start, Cameras, Fuel gauge ( ok this one I will, the fuel gauge is hardly even a good guess at this point) We ran out several times....we were not out of gas lol. Software update is getting VERY close.
2. Overall center screen design. For a first try by a new car company? Really not that bad, slow yes, does not always make sense, and messages like you just licked a cat or use a parking brake in off road mode gets some good laughs. But overall the electronics do not bother me as much as I feared honestly.
3. Other switch lay out, very good. But I hate I can never remember what the overhead power ones do except the main ones. Could be labeled

Overall Problems:

1. As to problems? I really cannot think of much. The Fuel Gauge is not fun. Otherwise maybe a clunk flexing out in the back? Oh, and that rain gutter that needs fixed! ( ok, ok, that is our fault)
2. Let me add windshield wipers skipping

Overall Impressions:

1. Seemingly good build quality and fit and finish for a rooky car maker
2. Some things make more sense if you drive it awhile
3. This a 1% vehicle, like a Power Wagon, it drives hard and works hard.
4. Bronco Owners and Four Runner Owners will be making there way to these, but probably not Jeep guys. For "disenfranchised" Bronco owners, this could be a good group for Ineos to grab. One reason they turn around is they KNOW they will break.
5. You need to take your time EVERYWHERE! Because explaining what it is to every single truck owner, off roader takes a ton of time. So there was this dude sir....... Maybe we can just have some brochures made up to hand out instead? Just keep a box in the truck and when you are in hurry "here you go!"
Greta review. FYI. The rear view camera works in off-road mode, look for the RVC in the top left of the off-road screen and you can toggle between angles and camera

Local time
Reaction score
Nice Review! Any Follow Up on it now that you are back in the "Land of Enchantment"?

Did you run "Hackett Gulch"? It is a FUN run! I have done it a TON of times in a 2019 Tacoma OR with 32s and my beloved '93 YJ on 33s and I haven't had many issues. Just gotta pick the lines correctly!

BTW did you get your issues sorted out?

Back
Top Bottom