The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Deutsch DTP plugs

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:52 AM
Reaction score
Install more accessories using a cable splitter

If you wish to install more than one accessory using the footwell DTP plugs you can buy a cable splitter.

Make sure the two accessories do not use more than 25 amps in total or you will overload the circuit and the ratings of DTP plugs.

I will also have a fuse between each accessory and the cable splitter. I am thinking a UHF and dashcam in the passenger’s footwell (RHD car).

Warning: I have not confirmed which DTP plug (by part number) is used in the footwell of the IG, probably the same as is used on the roof with the aux power pack (Part# DTP06-2S), but you know what they say about assumptions.

I have purchased a STEDI cable splitter as a test. The item can be found here. When you select the cable splitter you must choose between a DT and a DTP version. The DTP version is the correct one, subject to it fitting as warned above.

Next time Purnell Adventure have a car I am going to test it, as mine is some way off.
Also easy to make one yourself if you have plugs and crimper. Just need wire.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:52 AM
Reaction score
I will only insert the sockets into the plug when I know which side is used in the footwell – I will not be making assumptions. Remembering to get the polarity correct.
Any details/photos of them are proving very illusive.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Also easy to make one yourself if you have plugs and crimper. Just need wire.
True, but when I did the maths, cost of plugs, connectors, wire, split tubing and shrink tubing, the cost of the splitter was not much more. It only made sense to make them yourself if you already have most of the parts and tools. Otherwise it is cheaper to buy the splitter.

With Anderson plugs the opposite is true, much cheaper to make it yourself, if you know where to get good parts at a fair price, like Connector-Tech ALS.

Last edited:

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
True, but when I did the maths, cost of plugs, connectors, wire, split tubing and shrink tubing, the cost of the splitter was not much more. It only made sense to make them yourself if you already have most of the parts and tools. Otherwise it is cheaper to buy the splitter.

With Anderson plugs the opposite is true, much cheaper to make it yourself, if you know where to get good parts at a fair price.
True, I have tons of Anderson adapters and extensions etc that I have made up myself and a drawer full of spare plugs.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Any details/photos of them are proving very illusive.
The pocket guide clearly shows them there, however I don’t think the pocket guide was ever properly released. The owners manual doesn’t mention them at all

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
CT-ALS crimper

Trivia:
The Deutsch DTP Size 12 crimper that comes from the Connector-Teck ALS link above is an eight-point crimper. It crimps from four sides with 2 crimps points close together on all four sides (so close they almost look like a single crimp on each side).

It gives an excellent crimp. Using two sets of pliers I could not pull the crimped pin off the wire. I stopped when my left hand began to hurt and the crimp was still connected.

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which The Grenadier Forum may be compensated.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The pocket guide clearly shows them there, however I don’t think the pocket guide was ever properly released. The owners manual doesn’t mention them at all

They are referenced on Page 185 of the Owner's Manual
"The vehicle comes with three pre-wired 10A electrical outlets, one
in both the driver and front passenger foot-well, and one located
under the bonnet.

The Fuse/Relay tables (Pages 186 -191) : Fuse FI 29 10A LHS Front Footwell; Fuse FI 30 10A RHS Front Footwell.
As for the remainder: (Page 185)
The High Load Auxiliary Switch Panel & Electrical Preparation
includes an additional 25A outlet under the bonnet, 25A outlet at
the rear of the vehicle
and four outlets located in the roof-rail
recesses. The four roof outlets run on two circuits, outlet A on
circuit one and outlets B, C and D on circuit two. Each circuit has a
25A maximum capacity.

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The only reference I could find is in the Fuse/Relay tables : Fuse FI 29 10A LHS Front Footwell; Fuse FI 30 10A RHS Front Footwell.
The wiring diagram has a plug in the footwell that looks like the one we see on the roof (which is Part# DTP06-2S), but it is not clear, and it Is not smart to assume. I will discover precise details long before I get my car.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
They are referenced on Page 185
under the bonnet.

The Fuse/Relay tables (Pages 186 -191) : Fuse FI 29 10A LHS Front Footwell; Fuse FI 30 10A RHS Front Footwell.
the rear of the vehicle
25A maximum capacity.
Where is this document? The Pocket Guide I have is only 24 pages.

I note that the footwell x 2 and under the bonnet plugs are only 10amp circuits. Above I thought they were 25 amp circuits. Note to myself, verify circuit rating before installing two accessories onto a single footwell plug. I know my UHF is fused at 3 amps.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

I note that the footwell x 2 and under the bonnet plugs are only 10amp circuits. Above I thought they were 25 amp circuits. Note to myself, verify circuit rating before installing two accessories onto a single footwell plug. I know my UHF is fused at 3 amps.
Not the Pocket Guide.... sorry...the Owner's Manual!!;) See EDIT on post #28 above

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

The 10A under bonnet is the standard outlet. The High Load Electrical Preparation option (standard on Trialmaster) has an additional 25A under bonnet outlet according to the Owner's Manual extract above...so there are two under bonnet outlets... very handy!

The Deutsch system can be rather confusing. It seems that one could end up with a tool bag with multiple crimp tools for varying gauge pins or settle on a "25 Amp" standard for multiple current capacities up to 25A ....as is I've done with 50A grey Anderson plugs which are thus over engineered for most applications...

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
They are referenced on Page 185 of the Owner's Manual
under the bonnet.

the rear of the vehicle
25A maximum capacity.
Except in the manual I couldn't find the fuse for the 10A under the bonnet. I presume it must be one of the "free" slots and will be trial and error, but I don't understand if the fuses are in for the footwell why not the one under the bonnet. Unless they wanted to keep the circuit temporaliy dead for some safety reason.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What is on the IG aux power roof outlets?
I have now had time to look closely at various pictures of the Deutsch DTP plugs on the IG (roof only), plus I have crimped a few Deutsch DTP plugs as well.

Looking at the picture below, the image shows Parts DTP04-2P and DTP06-2S with white seals in the end. The female sockets are matched with the DTP06-2S, the male pins are matched with the DTP04-2P.

This image, from the IG, shows a complete pair of Deutsch DTP plugs (probably no sockets in the DTP06-2S and maybe no wedgelock). I have added labels (which hopefully are all correct):
20230303 open cap Deutsch connectorLABEL.jpg
Image first posted by Jean Mercier

The white seals are easier to see in this image.

Last edited:

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Except in the manual I couldn't find the fuse for the 10A under the bonnet. I presume it must be one of the "free" slots and will be trial and error, but I don't understand if the fuses are in for the footwell why not the one under the bonnet. Unless they wanted to keep the circuit temporaliy dead for some safety reason.
Likewise... the electrical section is very light on for useful tech. info.
In fact, the current version of the Owner's Manual appears to be a hastily prepared "feel good" affair to keep the punters happy for a bit longer :mad:
Perhaps they're all too busy doing "other stuff.."

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The wiring on both UHF headsets was much smaller than 12AWG and the crimps were excellent. I was concerned by this, needlessly it seems.

I have plenty of different styles of crimp terminals and the Deutsch DTP system is very good, the only downside is the cost of parts. Even doing a few test crimps can be expensive. Buying a decent 12AWG barrel crimper is a must have.

I have purchased some open barrel pins and sockets and it will be interesting to see if they are as robust as the more common closed barrel crimps.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Deutsch Mounting Clips

I noticed there are mounts on the DTP clips and opening my eyes found these mounting clip options. Like any Deutsch part, they can be expensive. One metal clip is listed at over AUD$18, although the plastic ones are much cheaper.

I will try and hold things in place inside the car using a plastic tie.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The 10A under bonnet is the standard outlet. The High Load Electrical Preparation option (standard on Trialmaster) has an additional 25A under bonnet outlet according to the Owner's Manual extract above...so there are two under bonnet outlets... very handy!
With the High Load option there should also be a third, high load, under bonnet outlet.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Last edited:

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
With the High Load option there should also be a third, high load, under bonnet outlet.
Wasn't sure how you get three under bonnet outlets... a 10A outlet is fitted as standard, while the High Load option adds a single 25A under bonnet outlet...:unsure:

Back
Top Bottom