The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Cooler or Portable Fridge

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:26 AM
Reaction score
I'm definitely biased, as I've had a fridge (or fridge/freezer) in the past 4 vehicles/6 years; but fridge all the way. You never have to worry about ice and it is always ready to go (assuming you have sufficient power)

holdmybeer

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:26 AM
Reaction score
Ditto. I'm about the make the plunge into my first fridge. Looking forward to it for daytrips and camping but also just around town. Because if the fridge can fit a standard cake box ... I'll be the hero of the family. :ROFLMAO:

Dual Grenny Guy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:26 AM
Reaction score
I hope not a stupid question, but I am about to install the Buzz rear cargo set up with the sliding fridge option. Do I need a back up/auxiliary battery? I have the “upgraded stereo” in the Grenadier this is going in & not the dual battery. So is a factory single battery sufficient to run a fridge on camping/fishing trips (maybe up to 5-7 days)? TIA……🙏
IMG_0767.png

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:26 PM
Reaction score
I've heard good things about the ARB 47 QT PORTABLE SINGLE-ZONE FRIDGE FREEZER - going to take a look at that one
Have had same Bushman 35-52 L fridge /freezer for past 15 yrs. I often use it when there's a large 'hunt n gather' exercise required at the supermarket and the summer days are regularly 35-40 deg C. Frozen goods then present no problem if there are other errands to run before I can get home and not worry about the stuff thawing in the meantime . I recently bought a cheap 22L "Brass Monkey" fridge as a dedicated freezer (-18degC) . I run both from the rear 12v socket. For long trips I use a DIY battery box connected to a 100 AH LiFeP04

Voader - Oudersopzwier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:26 PM
Reaction score
We have a National Luna (+/- 90 L) in our Defender and a Mobicool of +/- 28L in the Grenadier. As they are both compressor coolers, they hardly take energy. They can turn for days without a problem with the battery.
They both stand standard on 4° C But you can set them minus 0° C if you want to. But probably then they will consume more power. Never tried that, We never put ice in it.

Voader - Oudersopzwier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:26 PM
Reaction score
@Dual Grenny Guy If you are on a stand still for 5 to 7 days, you probably won't make it with a single battery system.
With the Defender, we never stand still for more than 2 days, so when we drive the battery is back topped up. But the Defender has a Dual battery system, so there is never a problem there.
The Grenadier is single battery, but I got an Ecoflow portable battery as an extra that we take with us on long trips. Maybe that is a solution for your single battery setup.
You could also link a portable solar panel to the portable battery just to let the solar juice flow.... and keep your beer cold.

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:26 PM
Reaction score
My Ineos has a single battery and I recommend a fridge to avoid the hassle of loading/draining bags of ice. I purchased a cheap 45 litre fridge freezer which in my opinion is as cheap as one of the more expensive coolers. Most of the fridge/freezers are all made in China anyway, all rebranded. I can buy things frozen from the supermarket and not worry about it melting.

To keep things charged up, I’m using a Bluetti charger 1 alternator charger with a Bluetti power station and tops up whilsts driving to destination's super fast, much faster than a 12v plug. Whilst camping (stationary), I then keep it topped up using foldable 200w solar panels. I use the car 12v to power the fridge whilst driving and then plug the fridge into the power station whilst camping.

It’s a cheap and modular way with many power outlet options.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:26 PM
Reaction score
@Dual Grenny Guy If you are on a stand still for 5 to 7 days, you probably won't make it with a single battery system.
With the Defender, we never stand still for more than 2 days, so when we drive the battery is back topped up. But the Defender has a Dual battery system, so there is never a problem there.
The Grenadier is single battery, but I got an Ecoflow portable battery as an extra that we take with us on long trips. Maybe that is a solution for your single battery setup.
You could also link a portable solar panel to the portable battery just to let the solar juice flow.... and keep your beer cold.
My thought is that we would not be at a standstill for more than a day at a time. Can also run the vehicle if needed to keep battery fresh

AUDIOBUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:26 AM
Reaction score
Short trip alternative: We had a fridge in the travel trailer (shore power, so, not a fair comparison) for a while and I removed it for more storage. The replacement +/- 100 qt cooler was better simply because it held more. We freeze 3/4 full Gatorade bottles for short trips, gallon jugs for longer (or hotter) trips, and get a block of ice + bottles for a week. Nothing fancy, this $80 option *(at the time, 2016) kept up with a buddy's high dollar Yeti on a trip, and ours was much larger. As the water bottles melt we have water for dishes, dogs, and in case of emergencies. No draining if only out for a long weekend. But the ice block is the way to go for + 5 days. And then there's draining. And finding another ice block every week we're out for 3 weeks... and the eventually unfrozen bottles take up space.

...so, after writing this I'll now go explore 12v fridge options.

"Honey, where'd all the money go?" - "Sorry love, I joined an internet forum ..." :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom