The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Diesel B57 Diesel Fuel Economy

LeftCoastOverland

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:48 AM
Reaction score
This time of year Joshua Tree will be hot. HWY 395 through Sequoia Kings, and Mammoth will be beautiful.
If it’s open, try Tioga pass from Lee Vining into the back side of Yosemite (may still be closed from winter) should be able to find out online if it’s open for your travel dates, the views are incredible.

Yosemite, again a gem. But will be crowded.
Big Sur, beautiful. The avenue of giants in Redwood NP is my favorite of all.
If you’re also planning to head far north, then Yellowstone is the crem de la crem. Unbeatable for the beauty and wildlife. Likely just as crowded as Yosemite.

So many options…. So little time.
Have fun!

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This time of year Joshua Tree will be hot. HWY 395 through Sequoia Kings, and Mammoth will be beautiful.
If it’s open, try Tioga pass from Lee Vining into the back side of Yosemite (may still be closed from winter) should be able to find out online if it’s open for your travel dates, the views are incredible.

Yosemite, again a gem. But will be crowded.
Big Sur, beautiful. The avenue of giants in Redwood NP is my favorite of all.
If you’re also planning to head far north, then Yellowstone is the crem de la crem. Unbeatable for the beauty and wildlife. Likely just as crowded as Yosemite.

So many options…. So little time.
Have fun!
Great advice, thanks again! Tioga is yet to reopen but we have our eye on it.
Plan is to go all the way north (eg up the Dempster).

JonSutton

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:48 AM
Reaction score
when I say a lot, I mean 60% of tank in about 1,000 miles. I'm not sure what normal use is but I'm hoping the EGR repair will sort it out and hopefully the economy will be better too
My consumption is way less than that and has just had an EGR fix - not done a long journey since the fix, will measure accurately on a run.

CRH

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My consumption is way less than that and has just had an EGR fix - not done a long journey since the fix, will measure accurately on a run.
I'm getting mine fixed this week or next, fingers crossed everything gets fixed
Did you have the engine warning light on whilst waiting for the fix?

Local time
Reaction score
Around 750km round trip this weekend. Day 1 - 400km mostly 40-80km along country tracks and twisty dirt / tar roads. Day 2 - 350km mostly 100km/hr highway. All up 9.8L/100km with the car just clicking over 5,000km on the odometer.

And yep - followed another grenny (donny gray with rooftop tent and 270 awning) for the last 100km or so of it.
Duelers or KO2’s?

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
With my car, the fuel penalty from 90kph up to 110kph is roughly 1.5 litres per 100km, maybe as high as 1.8 litres. I did the test on the Pacific Highway Northern NSW, so great road surface.

Car has a full roof rack, CLEVERSHADE 270 Awning, 160w solar panel and JOOCLA Ensuite. Not exactly aero.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Stock KO2’s

Normal around town driving fluctuates between 11.0 and 11.5.
Similar figures here. Stick KO2 and get around 11.1 for the last 1000kms of travel. On highway 100km/hr I can just get on 9.9L/100km... at 80km/hr slightly under but that is rare.

LeftCoastOverland

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Heh heh… I stretched my fuel economy a little far on the highway today at 14.4L/100 all highway. Averaging 99KMH

The “remaining range” box dropped off at 55Km to “- -“ yet I still had 20Km to go to the nearest fuel.
Alas I pressed on.

I turned off all electrical consumables, and set my fridge to idle in attempt at taking the load off the alternator. Not sure if it made any difference.

The fuel indicator still showed 3 or 4 bars on the red vertical bit… coasted into the BP Station.

Pumped in 90.95L of diesel. To the top of the filler neck.🥳

Now I know I have 613KM of range at highway speed on a full tank. I won’t be playing this game again any time soon… Haha 😝 View attachment IMG_2167.jpeg

View attachment IMG_2168.jpeg

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Heh heh… I stretched my fuel economy a little far on the highway today at 14.4L/100 all highway. Averaging 99KMH

The “remaining range” box dropped off at 55Km to “- -“ yet I still had 20Km to go to the nearest fuel.
Alas I pressed on.

I turned off all electrical consumables, and set my fridge to idle in attempt at taking the load off the alternator. Not sure if it made any difference.

The fuel indicator still showed 3 or 4 bars on the red vertical bit… coasted into the BP Station.

Now I know I have 613KM of range at highway speed on a full tank. I won’t be playing this game again any time soon… Haha 😝 View attachment 7858879

View attachment 7858880
Just hope that @Jean Mercier doesn't read this thread, boy is he going to be envious, you must now be the closest tank emptier.

LeftCoastOverland

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I was wondering the same… I had 30L of aux fuel, and was ready to shut down the engine at first sign of sputtering to re fuel. Fortunately I made it by the skin of my teeth!

• Fingers Crossed
Reactions: Max

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Alas I pressed on.

Now I know I have 613KM of range at highway speed on a full tank. I won’t be playing this game again any time soon… Haha 😝 View attachment 7858879

View attachment 7858880
Just a "word to the wise".... the current advice is to ensure you stop filling at the first cut-off.... don't overfill to the "brim" . Two issues: can flood the carbon canister "evaporative" filter which absorbs fuel vapour in the tank then purges it into the engine intake when driving... the second issue reported elsewhere here is that it can throw a fault "P0461" with the fuel level sensor. The snr Ineos tech on the Tech Tour in Brisbane, was fairly adamant about not overfilling during his side discussions with owners et al during the evening. Great to see you having a "proper" shakedown trial!! Thanks for posting!👍

CRH

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Just a "word to the wise".... the current advice is to ensure you stop filling at the first cut-off.... don't overfill to the "brim" . Two issues: can flood the carbon canister "evaporative" filter which absorbs fuel vapour in the tank then purges it into the engine intake when driving... the second issue reported elsewhere here is that it can throw a fault "P0461" with the fuel level sensor. The snr Ineos tech on the Tech Tour in Brisbane, was fairly adamant about not overfilling during his side discussions with owners et al during the evening. Great to see you having a "proper" shakedown trial!! Thanks for posting!👍
Thanks you for that information, this is something I have never thought/worried about. Always gone for 2 or 3 clicks at least before I stop filling any of the cars

LeftCoastOverland

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ok good to
Know, probably the source of my check engine light woes. I’ll keep it to one click.

LeftCoastOverland

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well first start of the morning no CEL. Great grand wonderful.
Clipped along for 2 hours stoped to stretch and decided to top off since I’m at a servo.
Limited my fueling to one click.

CEL.

When the CEL was off, the cruise was still inop.

I’ll see what the service dept has to say.

LeftCoastOverland

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Had the techs at Brighton automotive group run a diagnostic scan, and reset the CEL on my way home today.
They told me it was actually quite messy with a fair amount of codes, he seemed to chalk it up to a “computer glitch”.
I drove an hour home without a light, but the cruise still fails to engage…

I’ll bring it back eventually for a deeper dive, but for now I’m home and spending time with the family.

All in all a solid adventure/shakedown. She didn’t leave me stranded. So I’d say it’s a win.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Awesome, thank you! We’re mooching around Long Beach with the vehicle due to land on the 1st. Nice part of the world!

Heading north initially and presently debating Dalton versus Dempster Hwy (I should put up a post and ask).
After 16,789 kms I am getting 11.3 L/100 kms

Back
Top Bottom