The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Auxiliary Beams/Working lamps

Local time
9:42 AM
Reaction score
My LR has front and rear fog lights. On the highway (obviously with congestion + fog) I think it gives cars more time to slow down. Without the fog lights, the speed on the highway (being what it is) the car may not see you in time. I find the read fogs handy to use. The front fog lights I use at night, as where I live there's deer. The wider light low to the ground keep the deer from thinking the street is OK to pass :) I don't want to hit a deer, so although I can see the road fine, the front fog lights probably help a bit to warn wildlife in the area. They are NOT led fog lights, so any oncoming cars are not impacted by the soft light fogs in the front. The bulb is totally different on the fogs (it's not the same bulb with a different strength).

Local time
11:42 PM
Reaction score
In relation to rear fog lamps:-
Earth predominately harmonizes vehicle lighting regs with UNECE.

The global rear fog lamp function is UNECE 38 (its full photometric criteria, etc), strictly speaking, the rule is mandatory for most road going motor vehicle categories. However, some countries, by localized regulation, "optionalize" the function. An example is Australia, the global governing rule, UNECE 38 is adopted as ADR 52, but is optionalized at ADR 13. It saves some manufacturers a buck.!

In the US, the lamp is optional as its not included in FMVSS-108, but the SAE back in 1983 created its first "recommended practice" for the function,- known as SAE J1319. Now, SAE J1319 had undergone updates in recent time, making the lamp function almost identical the the UNECE criteria, and accepts the UNECE 38 aspects.

The rear fog lamp offers up to 20 times the luminous intensity over a vehicles regular taillights, this equates to many seconds of advanced warning of your vehicle in dense fog, daytime torrential/monsoonal rain storms/blizzards, etc, - resulting in 'white-out' conditions, or in dust-storms, when driving on gravel roads, OR in wildfire/bush fire smoke conditions.

The rear fog light should not be used in a mere light mist, and drivers should switch the function off, the moment visibility improves. German, France stipulate a 50m visibility maximum before the function can be used, GB sets that at 100m, Australia - "under hazardous weather conditions causing reduced visibility".

UNECE working parties on road safety, have no intention of ceasing the function, naturally enough, but will update UNECE 38 to enable new technologies, that will enable to automate the function, for example brightening the rear fog lamp from standard taillight strength up to the functions photometric maximum value, basically small increases in brightness, fluctuating on detected conditions (Championed by Audi at UNECE level).

Attached, is the switch and dash ISO symbol.

Attachments

• Rear Fog ISO.jpg
    Rear Fog ISO.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Local time
2:42 PM
Reaction score
O just switch it on anyway like most do oh and don’t forget the front fog lights or getting flashed my matrix headlights you need to wear sunglasses at night round here.

Back
Top Bottom