The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Audio system question/thoughts?

AwbunBradon

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:52 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone else find that the audio system feels a bit half assed? For example, no amount of adjustment I can make to the EQ using presets or otherwise affects much of anything. On some songs it’s just terribly bad but you can’t get rid of the horrible bass no matter what adjustments you make. I like good bass, but it’s not setup well. Has anyone tried any third-party solutions such as replacing the bass head, amplifiers, etc.? I see that many people commenting they don’t care about the electronics and bought them for the off-road. But damn I need good tunes and sound when I’m off-roading.

In addition, I often find that the loudest sound possible still doesn’t carry any serious volume on many songs. Like when I’m cruising with the windows down and the tops up the audio just is not loud enough when I’m driving at speed. In comparison my Targa has amazing sound even with the top pulled back and road/wind noise.

Thoughts?

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:52 PM
Reaction score
You'll find a handful of threads about audio upgrades on the forum... Although I feel like the EQ settings make a night and day difference with the sound quality. What is your normal music genre?

The audio system is more so in the vehicle purely because it was required rather than for any audiophile or enjoyer of music. There is no external amplifier in the Grenadier, just the built in unit to the infotainment system (25w RMS x4)

I recently helped @Krabby by popping in a set of Audiofrog coaxials in the front and rear doors, and he apparently also loves driving with the windows down, so I'm sure he'll be better able to compare the difference.

In mine I did a set of Focal Auditor Evo Slim coaxials in the front doors and Auditor Evos in the rear doors, along with a powered JL Audio 8" ported sub and the difference is huge, although, I rarely if ever drive with the windows open. Given space allotment if I were doing it again I may have gone with the JL Ported 10", but my cargo area set up is fairly unique

AwbunBradon

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I listen to everything from the Eagles to John Mayer to Robert Earl Keen to Dire Straits to Drew Holcomb etc. Nothing requiring heavy bass but it’s just unimpressive. Great info you provided above and I’d be grateful for any others who have similar feedback or advice.

I probably care about sound a bit too much given I’m really into music.

You'll find a handful of threads about audio upgrades on the forum... Although I feel like the EQ settings make a night and day difference with the sound quality. What is your normal music genre?

The audio system is more so in the vehicle purely because it was required rather than for any audiophile or enjoyer of music. There is no external amplifier in the Grenadier, just the built in unit to the infotainment system (25w RMS x4)

I recently helped @Krabby by popping in a set of Audiofrog coaxials in the front and rear doors, and he apparently also loves driving with the windows down, so I'm sure he'll be better able to compare the difference.

In mine I did a set of Focal Auditor Evo Slim coaxials in the front doors and Auditor Evos in the rear doors, along with a powered JL Audio 8" ported sub and the difference is huge, although, I rarely if ever drive with the windows open. Given space allotment if I were doing it again I may have gone with the JL Ported 10", but my cargo area set up is fairly unique

Offroad

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The audio is OK. The issue for most was the configuration of the subwoofer under the passenger side rear seat if you bought the premium sound. Lots of info on the forum.

drinkmorejava

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The audio is OK. The issue for most was the configuration of the subwoofer under the passenger side rear seat if you bought the premium sound. Lots of info on the forum.
Yeah. It's a terribly unbalanced setup. I might rip out the sub and hook it up to a TV in my house somewhere. Lots of trouble getting it to mesh well/deep thudding that distracts from the rest of the (uninspiring) audio. I'd think somewhere between the equalizer and the cross over adjust I could make it work, but it's not easy.

RobP

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I replaced the factory sub with a new amp and 12" subwoofer. I'm also replacing the factory speakers with a 2 way setup in the front and mids for the rear. I was waiting on an english version of the installation which I just received. Here's more info about my audio upgrades:

bikesandguitars

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:52 AM
Reaction score
If you have the subwoofer, you can make adjustments on the speaker itself. I tamed mine that way. Sounds great on all my genres now.

Parkside

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Mine was awful until I adjusted the subwoofer itself. Now it is just sort of OK.
By the way, the OP is playing my playlist… The Road Goes on Forever….

jeffmattSD

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:52 AM
Reaction score
What adjustments did you make to the factory installed subwoofer. Mine is so bad that I have turned to its lowest setting.

wolftimj

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Ok, hate to ask but…. I am mechanically inclined, and pretty skilled with software and electronics…. My ear sucks. All the instructions to adjust this damn subwoofer count on the user being able to hear subtle changes, which I can’t, or don’t understand what I’m listening for. Is there anything like a tone generator or audio file with tones that you simply adjust the thing to while playing?

Parkside

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
To be honest, I just got in there and tried to put the settings in the middle.
It was difficult to get in there with a small screwdriver so I went max to min and then tried to center.
Squirmed out and then listened a little. Took me a couple tries.
Really, I did not buy it for the stereo but at do like to enjoy some music..

Maybe you can get a friend to listen….

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Is there anything like a tone generator or audio file with tones that you simply adjust the thing to while playing?
You can find bass test tracks on Spotify or similar (even YouTube music); what you're looking for is ~50Hz test track, turn the stereo up as loud as you would possibly go and start tuning from there.

As a generalized rule of thumb: If you're making EQ adjustments at the headunit, make sure those are set first; then set the gain, bass boost, and low pass filter (LPF) all the way down; then start playing the test track and turn the stereo up. Start turning the gain up until you hear the sound of the subwoofer change (it'll go from bass to what sounds like an overdriven speaker). From this point you can switch to the music you listen to, again, at the loudest level you'd like, and adjust the low pass filter upwards until you don't gain any "fill" from the subwoofer (this is usually in the 80Hz to maybe 100Hz range). If it seems like it is lacking punch, slowly and very incrementally turn the bass boost up, but beware that you may have to turn the gain down.

The above is only a starting point, and YMMV in regards to your settings and tuning process

pieter1475

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
2:52 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone else find that the audio system feels a bit half assed? For example, no amount of adjustment I can make to the EQ using presets or otherwise affects much of anything. On some songs it’s just terribly bad but you can’t get rid of the horrible bass no matter what adjustments you make. I like good bass, but it’s not setup well. Has anyone tried any third-party solutions such as replacing the bass head, amplifiers, etc.? I see that many people commenting they don’t care about the electronics and bought them for the off-road. But damn I need good tunes and sound when I’m off-roading.

In addition, I often find that the loudest sound possible still doesn’t carry any serious volume on many songs. Like when I’m cruising with the windows down and the tops up the audio just is not loud enough when I’m driving at speed. In comparison my Targa has amazing sound even with the top pulled back and road/wind noise.

Thoughts?
I'm the other way. Mine sounds too tinny. I do agree that the full volume lacks guts.

AUDIOBUS

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
To post, or not to post. That is the question, as the mealy of opinion will ensue — but, I joined the forum to be helped and to help, so, here’s the attempt.

I’m not an acoustician, but I’ve had a 25 year (and counting) career making decisions about music in rooms with speakers ~ most of my adult life. (And been successful enough with it to purchase a Grenadier if that helps put value to the notes)

More than anything, including new speakers, new amps, EQ settings, sub woofers, etc., to fix the sound in the Grenadier, you would probably have the best results by changing the shape of the cabin. Since we can’t easily do that, changing the way the sound bounces around the cabin is the next best thing. 90% of what you don’t like about the audio system is the way the cabin sounds. Just listening to your own voice in the drivers position will tell you that. It’s honky and hollow sounding, like there’s a hole sucking all the life out of your voice. This hole is also sucking all the life out of your favorite songs.

Fixes:

1) if you’re changing speakers, get a set that can be offset / angled and point them up towards the roof and to the back. If you’re not changing speakers, dig into the door and see if there’s room to angle the stock speakers up. Use anything—washers, double nuts, whatever you have. It doesn't have to be drastic, just a degree or two getting them away from pointing at the center console. An even better option would be to place them higher on the door, or the best option would be in the front dash or A pillar, facing you.

Same with the back speakers. Angle them up. Put mass loaded vinyl or other absorbent material behind the speakers on the door if there is room. Seal the space between the door and the speaker mount or with gasket putty (there are several putty type products made for speakers and mounts, I don’t know the brand names off hand) or use a gasket foam with double sided tape.

2) EQ the bejesus out of the system with an external hardware / software equalizer until it sounds better for you. I don't think the 5 band internal EQ allows for enough adjustment...

But circling back to the main point: what you likely don't like about the audio system is the way the cabin sounds first, components second.

Good luck!
AB

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
6:52 PM
Reaction score
I am discovering more and more advantages of age: I simply don't hear subtle differences anymore. 🤷‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom