The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Alternator & Aux Battery

Sandman

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:04 PM
Reaction score

Hi,

1. Just wondering is there any info on the alternator and its amps output? 
2.  Aux battery AH? Is it lithium? Is it charged with a DC to DC charger?

I'd imagine it's decent stuff, everything else on the car seems to be done right. Still would like to see the specs.
Those details should be on the brochure!

Thanks
Sandy

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
12:04 AM
Reaction score
Good question@Sandman@Sandman . I wonder if we’ll get a high output alternator if the aux battery package is chosen. Given the pricing (£570 or AU$1060) of the aux battery standalone I think it should/ could be lithium. No way am I paying that much for an AGM deep cycle

Local time
3:04 AM
Reaction score
Theres a few too many missing details for me to feel confident about the Aux option at the moment. Will it be a simple voltage sensing isolator, or a mechanical switch or something like the redarc dual sensing isolator that i can add an external charger (ie solar).
Having wired a couple old trucks Id be willing to pay quite a bit for the redarc SBI12d (or SBI212d if you need 200a) wired in from the factory.
Even more for a smart dual battery charger  or charge controller that i can wire solar into down the road.
Lithium would be great but i suspect the price would be higher for any significant lithium unit
But i dont know that any such details are available yet. I didnt notice any in the brochures.
I hadnt thought about a higher output alternator, but that would be very appealing as well.

Sandman

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes too many unknowns. Aux battery package could be anything.
And a high output alternator is important if you have a big lithium to charge up, or helpful when using the winch.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:04 AM
Reaction score
Rumour control on FB has the alternator kicking out 250 amps.

Although it wasn't clear whether there was just the one option; or whether this was a high output version that came with the auxiliary battery option.

Sandman

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Rumour control on FB has the alternator kicking out 250 amps.

Although it wasn't clear whether there was just the one option; or whether this was a high output version that came with the auxiliary battery option.
I did have confirmation from Ineos that the alternator will be a 250 amp output. Nothing was mention that it would only be included in the Aux battery option. The winch will draws about 300 amp. It will be useful that too. I reckon it will be standard.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Auxiliary battery is 12v lead acid battery and rated at 105Ahs.
It uses a c-tec charger that can increase or decrease the supply from the alternator, and also isolate the auxiliary battery from standard battery.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Price up a ctek charger and a quality AGM battery , and add the wiring - it's a very good deal.
I agree and will order the heavy duty battery and overhead panel... the included 2KW 230V inverter will enable me to use a 2HP (1500Watt) electric chain saw rather than a petrol one ...no need to carry 2-stroke fuel... opens up lots of opportunities...

Local time
Reaction score
I agree and will order the heavy duty battery and overhead panel... the included 2KW 230V inverter will enable me to use a 2HP (1500Watt) electric chain saw rather than a petrol one ...no need to carry 2-stroke fuel... opens up lots of opportunities...
Has there been confirmation of an included 2kW inverter?

Sandman

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I use battery chain saw. Works great! Use the inverter to charge the batteries and you don't need to worry about ext leads.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Has there been confirmation of an included 2kW inverter?
Wakeo received confirmation from the Ineos Help Line of an inverter (Post #291 -Tech specs), elsewhere Ineos reps on drive days spoke freely about the inverter being able to "power a coffee machine" (unspecified -but 2Kw has been mooted by several motoring journalists in various publications...maybe they were quoting each other!

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Says "optional" . Is this going to be a later offer?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hopefully this is correct. It mentions 2000 watts of power in 3rd column.
It's not the only place it's been mentioned. The photo is from the US launch of their new HQ facility in Raleigh.

It was also mentioned on page 13 of the Reservation Brochure:
Auxiliary battery is 12v lead acid battery and rated at 105Ahs.
It uses a c-tec charger that can increase or decrease the supply from the alternator, and also isolate the auxiliary battery from standard battery.
Is there anything in writing to say it's a charger?

I know there's been reference to CTEK and the D250SE dc/dc charger; but there's also reference to the Smartpass 120S which is described as a power management system for starter and service batteries.

Photos from the prototypes (or one at least) shows a unit that has an uncanny resemblance to the latter.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220804_171410.jpg
    Screenshot_20220804_171410.jpg
    588.7 KB · Views: 55
  • Screenshot_20220727_071018.jpg
    Screenshot_20220727_071018.jpg
    773.6 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_20220804_065527.jpg
    Screenshot_20220804_065527.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 77
Local time
Reaction score
That does not look like a maintenance free sealed battery. Looks like an 8D, at first I thought it was two group 24s before I expanded the picture.

If that is an 8D that is well over 150lbs and can expect gassing on charge. You can see the screw tops. We use these in big boats (or RVs), always maintaining them. Often we switched to sealed Group 31s or LiFePo, easier to move around and no service needed.

I'd rather have two parallel Group 24s gel sealed in that space. Might fit. 8D around 20"x10" and G24 around 11"x 6" Even if I had to give up some power would not want an unsealed battery in passenger compartment.

I hope I am seeing things...

"Two Reservations, one for US one for PR."

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Greasemonkey ~ you've nailed it. 🐵👌

Local time
Reaction score
And a note on why Lead Acid or Gel vs Lithium, I was just researching Lithium current outputs for a bow thruster and/or starting battery. It seems the Lithium is good for continuous duty and deep discharge but high output current like a winch is not its strong point. Going with Gel Group 29s in the boat.

Deepblue

#00274 - Swiss Vehicle (SD1-1/63)
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:04 AM
Reaction score
That does not look like a maintenance free sealed battery. Looks like an 8D, at first I thought it was two group 24s before I expanded the picture.

If that is an 8D that is well over 150lbs and can expect gassing on charge. You can see the screw tops. We use these in big boats (or RVs), always maintaining them. Often we switched to sealed Group 31s or LiFePo, easier to move around and no service needed.

I'd rather have two parallel Group 24s gel sealed in that space. Might fit. 8D around 20"x10" and G24 around 11"x 6" Even if I had to give up some power would not want an unsealed battery in passenger compartment.

I hope I am seeing things...

"Two Reservations, one for US one for PR."
Hi @USandPR you mention 150lbs - is this the estimate for a single battery or for a two-battery setup?

Local time
Reaction score
An 8D size battery weighs over 150lbs. Just one battery and I am referring to what appears to be under the back seat. I do not know where the engine battery is.

From the first picture, I can only see qty 6 - two volt cells = 12 volts. The dimensions appear to be in the 20"x10" range and has all the indications of a 8D battery.

HOWEVER, on this thread https://www.theineosforum.com/threads/auxiliary-battery-type.12361444/ I found more pictures and someone says this is a MOLL 81105 battery which according to the MOLL site is 400mm or around 16inches. It looks about the same width as the flip up seat and I would guess that over 20"

Bottomline, that thing is heavy.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Back
Top Bottom