The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Air con (fan noise)

Bobby Mac

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:43 PM
Reaction score
I have noticed a wind whistle which I initially thought was coming from outside. Then I turned the air con fan off to have a better listen and it stopped! Yes, from about position 2 on, there is remote, but annoying (wind) whistle. Anyone else had the same, and if so, any fixes?

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It's dropped the gas so needs to go to the Agent for warranty action. I'll give them a heads up about the leaking core. They can deal with it. My NDT guy has a UV torch. I'll borrow it and have a look for other leaks just for interest.

Vote:
Upvote 0

cheeters

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Add me to the list. Aircon worked fine for the first five weeks but today it is not cooling and is making gurgling sounds through the evaporator {suspect low or no gas).
Just got mine re-gassed. Alex at Purnells mentioned potetenial calibaration error when they added the gas at the factory. This is the main issue they found with the air con. Some did leak so parts had to be ordered.
They have a test vehicle for those who want a test drive.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just got mine re-gassed. Alex at Purnells mentioned potetenial calibaration error when they added the gas at the factory. This is the main issue they found with the air con. Some did leak so parts had to be ordered.
They have a test vehicle for those who want a test drive.
I suspect they outsourced it to 'Greta Thunberg A/C Services PLC' and our systems got filled with glacier melt ice cubes. It was good for a few days.

Vote:
Upvote 0

AndrewW

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Forum Supporter
Local time
9:43 AM
Reaction score
I have noticed a wind whistle which I initially thought was coming from outside. Then I turned the air con fan off to have a better listen and it stopped! Yes, from about position 2 on, there is remote, but annoying (wind) whistle. Anyone else had the same, and if so, any fixes?
I can get a wolf howl out of mine, at random under “Auto” control, and today with an ambient temperature on screen of 39°C (24° more like) the AC fan sounded like a WWII air raid siren. (Which I’m sure you’re all familiar with…

Vote:
Upvote 0

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I suspect they outsourced it to 'Greta Thunberg A/C Services PLC' and our systems got filled with glacier melt ice cubes. It was good for a few days.
Hard to think how a calibration issue got through so many extra QA checks we told were in place at the start of production.

Knowing that vehicles also had to be fitted with one of two different gases, is there any possibility some were fitted with the wrong one?
Are the valve fittings different to prevent a "misfuelling" incident?

Vote:
Upvote 0

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hard to think how a calibration issue got through so many extra QA checks we told were in place at the start of production.

Knowing that vehicles also had to be fitted with one of two different gases, is there any possibility some were fitted with the wrong one?
Are the valve fittings different to prevent a "misfuelling" incident?
That's a good question. We get R1234yf.
I think I read that aircon workshops had to buy new evac and charging equipment to handle this gas. I'm unaware of physical differences with the connections though. Someone here will know that.

Attachments

• PXL_20230908_051618829.jpg
    PXL_20230908_051618829.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 29
Vote:
Upvote 0

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm not sure whether that's a change from what Ineos have said previously:
View attachment 7826222
From this thread:
Post in thread 'Oil check' https://www.theineosforum.com/threads/oil-check.12348721/post-1333192154

Is that photo of an M1 or N1 type?
That's my Australian spec 5 seat station wagon so M1. According to the table above ROW was getting R134a but country specific. I'm not tracking the status of R134a here but there is another round of changes to permitted refrigerants coming next July so maybe Ineos has got ahead of that.

Vote:
Upvote 0

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It's dropped the gas so needs to go to the Agent for warranty action. I'll give them a heads up about the leaking core. They can deal with it. My NDT guy has a UV torch. I'll borrow it and have a look for other leaks just for interest.
I noticed a slight whistle a couple of days ago and thought maybe there is something stuck in the vents.

You mentioned that the whistle is caused by "its dropped the gas". Do you mean all of the gas, some of the gas or is there a no gas.

I have to take my car back to get the camp table fitted so - I will add the aircon whistle to my list of issues to look at/fix.

Vote:
Upvote 0

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I noticed a slight whistle a couple of days ago and thought maybe there is something stuck in the vents.

You mentioned that the whistle is caused by "its dropped the gas". Do you mean all of the gas, some of the gas or is there a no gas.

I have to take my car back to get the camp table fitted so - I will add the aircon whistle to my list of issues to look at/fix.
I get a fan high pitch whirring noise when on auto or max manual, coming thru central vents into cabin. I turn it down one on the fan and it disappears. not ideal

Vote:
Upvote 0

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

More a 'bad curry' gurgling sound in the pipes than a whistle.
I also get a constant high pitch whistle with the fan on high speed. I'm convinced that's a leaky air duct in the HVAC. This happens with the A/C on or off so is fan speed and air pressure related, not A/C specifically.

Vote:
Upvote 0

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
More a 'bad curry' gurgling sound in the pipes than a whistle.
I also get a constant high pitch whistle with the fan on high speed. I'm convinced that's a leaky air duct in the HVAC. This happens with the A/C on or off so is fan speed and air pressure related, not A/C specifically.
I just went out to the garage and checked.

Fan speed setting 1, 2, 3 - no sound (except of course air rushing past the vent!) with aircon on and off and all different outlet combo

Fan speed setting 4 - a whirring/clicky sound with aircon on and off and in every outlet combo

Therefore - I believe it could be the fan motor or blades moving/touching at the highest speed

Vote:
Upvote 0
Local time
Reaction score
That's a good question. We get R1234yf.
I think I read that aircon workshops had to buy new evac and charging equipment to handle this gas. I'm unaware of physical differences with the connections though. Someone here will know that.
Yes the charging ports and test fittings between R134a and R123yf are different and can not be interchanged. Can buy top up cans of R1234yf from Supercheap around $200 AUD. Added an information sheet for Australia.
SCA_627279_hi-res R1234yf.jpg

Attachments

• R1234yf-Explained au.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Vote:
Upvote 0

cheeters

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I got call from my Ineos Rep which they are aware of. Potential Loss of "gas" due to a small leak or not enough gas when it came from the factory. Although they tested it pre-delivery issues appear to be after a longer drive. Fix is apparently quick. Just waiting for my local IA rep to book me in to get it fixed.
Air con not working. Look like a trip back to the Ineos.. Suspect it could be the tempature sensor not working.

Vote:
Upvote 0

cheeters

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My latested update from Ineos - No loss of gas. It looks like the there is a 3 second continuous electrical spike which causes the air condition to swith on/off. Agent is now doing further diagnostic after speaking to the Ineos Engineers.

Vote:
Upvote 0

cheeters

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Air condition has been fixed.. Running like a charm..

in the end it was not the air conditioner. An air-lock in ancillary system caused an overheating in an sensor causing the air con to be turned off and also the cooling fan to run. It just happened that the Ineos engineer was on-site that suggested the fix. It now in the Ineos "data bank".

Vote:
Upvote 0

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:43 AM
Reaction score
Same here. The aircon heating system is not working properly on my vehicle. My dealer told me that several cars are affected and that it is a known issue. No word when it will be fixed.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:43 AM
Reaction score
Air condition has been fixed.. Running like a charm..

in the end it was not the air conditioner. An air-lock in ancillary system caused an overheating in an sensor causing the air con to be turned off and also the cooling fan to run. It just happened that the Ineos engineer was on-site that suggested the fix. It now in the Ineos "data bank".
Thanks for the feedback (y)

Vote:
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom