The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Aftermarket saddle leather for steering wheel

vtgrenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:27 AM
Reaction score
I originally wanted the saddle leather and would have spec'd it to a build... but, I ended up with one that was on a dealer's lot with every other option I wanted. The 1924 Edition then was announced and offers black saddle leather, which I think I'd prefer the aesthetics of. Can anyone think of an upholsterer who might take on a request for stitching black saddle leather over the existing steering wheel - WHILE IN PLACE? I don't want to go removing it and shipping as my local high-end upholstery shop has recommended. Ideally, someone would be located between Boston and NYC.

Thanks.

Local time
8:27 AM
Reaction score
Why don't you change the color of your steering wheel with leather dye. It is very easy to do, like changing the color on a pair of leather shoes. There are several videos on the you-tube for steering wheels. Black should be the easiest to do.

vtgrenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:27 AM
Reaction score
Fair enough... I'm actually after the feeling of a thicker wheel. Not only is the diameter small, but so too is the 'heft.' It's not just the color, but the tactile experience of the higher quality leather.

Bayford

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:27 PM
Reaction score
It might be worth checking out a couple of decent boat yards or sailmakers/marine upholsterers in your area. Its fairly normal for them to replace the leather on yacht wheels, though usually with elk-hide rather than bridle leather. Yacht wheels are generally less contoured than the Grenadier wheel but they might be able to oblige. Just a thought.

255/85

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
6:27 AM
Reaction score
Fair enough... I'm actually after the feeling of a thicker wheel. Not only is the diameter small, but so too is the 'heft.' It's not just the color, but the tactile experience of the higher quality leather.

I actually wish the wheel was thinner but the standard Nappa leather does feel cheap. If you come up with a replacement cover that can be fitted (as you say) in place then please post up.

Back
Top Bottom