The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

A truly nice light combo

parb

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:02 PM
Reaction score
I have the 42 inch triple R linear elite mounted up on top on my 3/4 bison gear roof rack. Pulls 24.3A of power and works great up there. I picked this bar after talking to Baja and triple R about the vertical angle of light emitting from their light bars. I basically wanted a sharp cutoff on light so I don't get glare in the safari windows or on the hood. The triple r guys told me that was a design criteria in their product and they sold me pretty hard on how much control they have over light directivity in that line.

They were right. The light bar output a tremendous amount of light, I can see about a mile away. It's too much light when you pass a regular traffic sign, the reflective makes material in the sign almost blinds you when the lights hit them and reflect back to you...

I can highly recommend this light bar. No wind noise from it up on top, if anything I think it quieted down my roof rack a bit. It's really stealthy too, my buddy didn't even see it until I turned on the light.

Pro tip, order the extra mount from triple r. What comes in the package didn't work for my roof rack. The extra kit that is needed to mount it to a typical roof rack channel, like a 30 or 40 series channel:
https://www.triple-r-lights.com/side-mount-kit-linear.html

Now, for near and mid field I use the agile off-roads replacement lights for the grille off-road lights. It's a Baja 80 XL light on a bracket that lets you mount them in the grill. Amazing amount of near and mid field output. The combo with the linear bar is outstanding. Highly recommended.
Can't give you a link because their site is down for maintenance.

It's hard to take pictures with the cell because the camera auto adjusts, it's much brighter and hits farther than it looks like.

Half beam factory headlights
1000000409.jpg

Full beam factory (I need to align them, I did that after I took the pics)
1000000410.jpg

Full beam + Baja 80 XL grille lights
1000000412.jpg

Full beam + Baja 80 XL + linear 42
1000000411.jpg

Last edited:

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:02 AM
Reaction score
I have the 42 inch triple R linear elite mounted up on top on my 3/4 bison gear roof rack. Pulls 24.3A of power and works great up there. I picked this bar after talking to Baja and triple R about the vertical angle of light emitting from their light bars. I basically wanted a sharp cutoff on light so I don't get glare in the safari windows or on the hood. The triple r guys told me that was a design criteria in their product and they sold me pretty hard on how much control they have over light directivity in that line.

They were right. The light bar output a tremendous amount of light, I can see about a mile away. It's too much light when you pass a regular traffic sign, the reflective makes material in the sign almost blinds you when the lights hit them and reflect back to you...

I can highly recommend this light bar. No wind noise from it up on top, if anything I think it quieted down my roof rack a bit. It's really stealthy too, my buddy didn't even see it until I turned on the light.

Pro tip, order the extra mount from triple r. What comes in the package didn't work for my roof rack. The extra kit that is needed to mount it to a typical roof rack channel, like a 30 or 40 series channel:
https://www.triple-r-lights.com/side-mount-kit-linear.html

Now, for near and mid field I use the agile off-roads replacement lights for the grille off-road lights. It's a Baja 80 XL light on a bracket that lets you mount them in the grill. Amazing amount of near and mid field output. The combo with the linear bar is outstanding. Highly recommended.
Can't give you a link because their site is down for maintenance.

It's hard to take pictures with the cell because the camera auto adjusts, it's much brighter and hits farther than it looks like.

Half beam factory headlights
View attachment 7867815

Full beam factory (I need to align them, I did that after I took the pics)
View attachment 7867816

Full beam + Baja 80 XL grille lights
View attachment 7867817

Full beam + Baja 80 XL + linear 42
View attachment 7867821
...Blinded by the light...

parb

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The antenna and it's mount came with my weebost overland. Works well.
For my gmrs radio I'm using a cheap Amazon 90 degree mount and a Midland antenna.

holdmybeer

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Very nice. Thanks for sharing the down-the-road light pics and comparison between beams. (y)

Does your linear 42 throw much light into/onto your safari windows and hood?

parb

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Very nice. Thanks for sharing the down-the-road light pics and comparison between beams. (y)

Does your linear 42 throw much light into/onto your safari windows and hood?
No not at all. This was the selling point to me when I talked to their engineers in UK. The told me that the vertical directivity was really well controlled with very little light emitting past their cutoff point. They said there should be no light reflecting into the safari roof windows or the hood once adjusted.

They where right, I get no light into the safari windows. maybe ever so slightly refracted indirect light, about the equivalent of the light you get at night under a vexing (crescent) moon into the safari windows.

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:02 PM
Reaction score
I have the 42 inch triple R linear elite mounted up on top on my 3/4 bison gear roof rack. Pulls 24.3A of power and works great up there.

Somebody help me out here, because I'm a neophyte when it comes to electrical issues and I'm asking the following questions to try to increase my knowledge. The link provided to Triple R's website for this lightbar says it has pulls 24.7 amps at 14.4 volts. I thought the U.S. Grenadier power system is all 12 volts? At 12 volts for the 355 Watts this lightbar provides, that's 29.6 amps? I'm just starting to try to figure out matching lights to the amperage limits of the roof power connectors, so let me know if I'm off base. The Grenadier roof power connectors are limited to 25 amps and lower? If so, any potential hazards with using this lightbar?

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:02 PM
Reaction score
Somebody help me out here, because I'm a neophyte when it comes to electrical issues and I'm asking the following questions to try to increase my knowledge. The link provided to Triple R's website for this lightbar says it has pulls 24.7 amps at 14.4 volts. I thought the U.S. Grenadier power system is all 12 volts? At 12 volts for the 355 Watts this lightbar provides, that's 29.6 amps? I'm just starting to try to figure out matching lights to the amperage limits of the roof power connectors, so let me know if I'm off base. The Grenadier roof power connectors are limited to 25 amps and lower? If so, any potential hazards with using this lightbar?
12 volt is a generality of speaking. When running a vehicle battery exists between 13.9-14.5 volts, because the alternator is always charging/replenishing it.

As voltage decreases the amperage increases to maintain the same output (wattage).

When the truck is off, voltage will decrease from ~13v down to somewhere in the 12.3-12.6v range, unless a draw is put on it, at which point it may dip slightly and then continue to decrease. If you were powering this with the vehicle turned off, you could possibly end up popping the fuse; however, with the vehicle running it is just barely within acceptable limits. Generally speaking, you would want to ensure that the wires/fusing can handle 125% of the expected load (fuses protect wires, not devices). I'm not certain what those outputs are fused at (whether fused at 25A or "rated" for 25A and thus fused/wired for 30A)

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:02 PM
Reaction score
Very helpful, @anand. Thanks. Shows me I still have much to learn before I start rigging stuff up!

parb

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I asked triple r the same before I ordered the lights, I was especially worried about startup current. They said that the listed 24.7A was their absolute peak current and that my fuse would handle it. So far they have been right. I suspect that is a rating at a very high voltage. The fuse is 25A.

Back
Top Bottom