The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

“Selling” Grenadiers: People asking about your IG

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:32 PM
Reaction score
We have a thread about seeing Grenadiers, but I’d like to hear people’s stories about people approaching them about ‘the funny looking truck’. I know I’ve had over 30, 4 in the last week, interactions with people since I’ve gotten my IG.

When I go to the hardware store, I always spend an extra minute in my IG before leaving with the window open. Someone almost always gives a thumbs up or asks questions.

People often think that is a G-wager variant - and that is costs as much and are surprised that they are under $90k. Or they think that it’s an old Defender that has been re-done.

My 30 second commercial goes something like:
“A British billionaire Loved old Land Rovers, so when when they stopped making the old 110s, he asked to buy the plant, but was turned down. He said “screw you” and hired Styer, the guys who engineered the G-wagen to design him a modern, but not too modern Defender 110. It has a German BMW engine, Italian axels, and is built in France…. It’s got triple lockers, body on frame construction, recirculating ball steering and as little technology as legally possible. Some billionaires blow their money going to Mars, starting airlines, or buying newspapers- I’m so glad that Sir Jim Ratcliffe wanted something that I could own and is basic as possible. It’s my middle finger to the 21st century.”

What is your ‘Schtick’ when people ask you about your IG? How often do you get asked? What’s your best story?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:32 AM
Reaction score
Probably 3-4x a week.
Often I'm with my wife, and I can sense the eyeroll when people stop to ask.
I'm thinking of getting some info cards made up.
2 days ago at Bunnings it was an agile looking middle aged lady in a Disco 4 who thought it must be a "New Old Defender".
Without going into the long spiel , I said it was all good and that apart from the turning circle and armstrong steering , she would love it.
No mention of footrests or cupholders or vanity mirrors.
Had to leave a few easter eggs ;)

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:32 PM
Reaction score
I had a guy yesterday come up to me in the fuel station and wanted to talk about the Grenadier. I think he’s going to trade his Discovery in for a Grenadier now. The story of my issue in Central Kalahari Game Reserve and Ineos sending a recovery truck from Gabarone sold it I think. After too long a chat there was quite a queue for fuel so it was time to move on.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
We have a thread about seeing Grenadiers, but I’d like to hear people’s stories about people approaching them about ‘the funny looking truck’. I know I’ve had over 30, 4 in the last week, interactions with people since I’ve gotten my IG.

When I go to the hardware store, I always spend an extra minute in my IG before leaving with the window open. Someone almost always gives a thumbs up or asks questions.

People often think that is a G-wager variant - and that is costs as much and are surprised that they are under $90k. Or they think that it’s an old Defender that has been re-done.

My 30 second commercial goes something like:
“A British billionaire Loved old Land Rovers, so when when they stopped making the old 110s, he asked to buy the plant, but was turned down. He said “screw you” and hired Styer, the guys who engineered the G-wagen to design him a modern, but not too modern Defender 110. It has a German BMW engine, Italian axels, and is built in France…. It’s got triple lockers, body on frame construction, recirculating ball steering and as little technology as legally possible. Some billionaires blow their money going to Mars, starting airlines, or buying newspapers- I’m so glad that Sir Jim Ratcliffe wanted something that I could own and is basic as possible. It’s my middle finger to the 21st century.”

What is your ‘Schtick’ when people ask you about your IG? How often do you get asked? What’s your best story?
I feel the same way. Some people come up to me and ask. Then I tell them the same story as you. Some just look and probably don't dare to ask. Then I've already said, no, it's not a Land Rover. I'm always at agricultural meetings. Only a few people there know the vehicle. Just a few weeks ago I was at a ploughing competition. After people asked me how off-road capable it was, I ended up driving across the ploughed field. Everyone was impressed. Especially as I have the BF standard tyres and no other modifications to the Grenadier. However, I had already tried it on my own the evening before. Otherwise I would have had enough laughter around me.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
12:32 AM
Reaction score
I remember a few cases, two of which where funny.

Case one: In an offroad park somebody asked me about this "chinese clone" of whatever was cloned.

I patiently told him who constructed it, of which components, motor, seats, springs and other parts it is made, and the price (which is for my version now around 95K Euros). And I showed him the interior and some impressions from the exterior, and told him to open and to close the door to get a feeling of the solidness of the car. He took a seat behind the wheel and just looked around and said nothing.

After a while, he looked at me and said: "Sorry, I am an idiot. I apparently completely missed the point. Do you have a web-link?"

Case two: My neighbor had a visit from his nephew which arrived with a Dodge RAM 2500, a V8 Big Block (a HUGE truck!). He told me he's happy with the RAM, but in short time the leasing contract would end and because all 4x4 cars in Europe now have only 4-cylinder engines with small displacements, "my new one will be an INEOS". He was surprised I knew what an INEOS actually is. So I pointed to where my Grenadier was parked and he was totally dumbfounded.

And then, a nice discussion started ...

And what baffles me most is, that in particular women almost always say to me "What a beautiful car this is!".

Maybe size matters?

🤷‍♂️

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
And what baffles me most is, that in particular women almost always say to me "What a beautiful car this is!".

Maybe size matters?

🤷‍♂️
I've had a few go "Nice Land Rover" - I don't think anyone has said it was beautiful, but I bought it to be a working vehicle, not an oil painting.

I have had a women say "beautiful car" about the Morgan, but mostly they are in their 80s and have a wistful look in their eyes. A chick magnet it is not!

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I've had a few go "Nice Land Rover" - I don't think anyone has said it was beautiful, but I bought it to be a working vehicle, not an oil painting.

I have had a women say "beautiful car" about the Morgan, but mostly they are in their 80s and have a wistful look in their eyes. A chick magnet it is not!
By their 80s, most ‘chicks’ have a fair amount of metal in them and are inherently magnetic.

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:32 PM
Reaction score
Is it electric? Yes, it is. Plus it has a built-in generator to charge the dual battery system. Check this out...[lifts rear seat and exposes the two batteries].

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:32 PM
Reaction score

I think someone sells these on Etsy

Attachments

• 1726271022391.png
    1726271022391.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 7
Back
Top Bottom