The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Winter prep

LODGE-WAGON

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:50 PM
Reaction score
New Grenadier owner. I have lived in Bend, Oregon at 3800 feet the last 10 years. The local ski resort is 15 miles from home. Lots of snow, ice and 20,10 and some 0 degrees in our long winters. I am also reviewing snow tires vs staying with the ko2s. I have driven a jeep Jk here the last 10 years. Lot of time spent on Ko2s. My personal experience with these tires is thery are OK in fresh snow. Weak in packed snow toped with ice & black ice. I also find them ok to negative in wet weather. Not a lot of driver road feed back and prone to breaking loose. Also the tire compound used in these tires changes as the wear down. Best new to 25% . The tires compound is different the last 50% and becomes much harder, which further degrade your experience in wet and winter conditions. If you only drive local and a few day a week, you can get by with them in winter months knowing there strength & weakness. My wife votes for a winter tire change. For a daily driver, winter tires are much preferred, and location with lots of packed snow and ice studs studs a strong consideration when allowed. The Falken wilkpeak at3w or Mickey Thomson Baja Boss all terrain tires in my option are a better wet weather -snow option for year round all terrain tire use. For winter tires Nokian Hakkapelitta regular and studied tires get my vote. Regular for use in use when mixed road condition are common. Wet black top no snow and snow/ ice at higher elavation. Local driving in snow and ice studded are a premium experience. Of course offroad driving tire condition Ko2s are a strong performer and a top choice. KO3 are just being offered and rumored to be a different compound and tread design which for snow and wet weather may become a winter/ summer at terrain option tire choice.
I am not too far away in Parkdale and will be purchasing
New Grenadier owner. I have lived in Bend, Oregon at 3800 feet the last 10 years. The local ski resort is 15 miles from home. Lots of snow, ice and 20,10 and some 0 degrees in our long winters. I am also reviewing snow tires vs staying with the ko2s. I have driven a jeep Jk here the last 10 years. Lot of time spent on Ko2s. My personal experience with these tires is thery are OK in fresh snow. Weak in packed snow toped with ice & black ice. I also find them ok to negative in wet weather. Not a lot of driver road feed back and prone to breaking loose. Also the tire compound used in these tires changes as the wear down. Best new to 25% . The tires compound is different the last 50% and becomes much harder, which further degrade your experience in wet and winter conditions. If you only drive local and a few day a week, you can get by with them in winter months knowing there strength & weakness. My wife votes for a winter tire change. For a daily driver, winter tires are much preferred, and location with lots of packed snow and ice studs studs a strong consideration when allowed. The Falken wilkpeak at3w or Mickey Thomson Baja Boss all terrain tires in my option are a better wet weather -snow option for year round all terrain tire use. For winter tires Nokian Hakkapelitta regular and studied tires get my vote. Regular for use in use when mixed road condition are common. Wet black top no snow and snow/ ice at higher elavation. Local driving in snow and ice studded are a premium experience. Of course offroad driving tire condition Ko2s are a strong performer and a top choice. KO3 are just being offered and rumored to be a different compound and tread design which for snow and wet weather may become a winter/ summer at terrain option tire choice.
I am not too far away in Parkdale. I will be purchasing Nokian LT3 studded for my winter driving. I have had other hakapelita Nokian tires and was concerned about sidewall strength. This one looks a bit more beefy. Nokian says :
"strong structure and superb durability for demanding winter use."

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:50 AM
Reaction score
I am not too far away in Parkdale and will be purchasing

I am not too far away in Parkdale. I will be purchasing Nokian LT3 studded for my winter driving. I have had other hakapelita Nokian tires and was concerned about sidewall strength. This one looks a bit more beefy. Nokian says :
"strong structure and superb durability for demanding winter use."
Those were my top choice - availability was just a little bit of a pain so did Blizzaks. Not the studded though - worse handling and braking performance for days when the road is dry

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom