The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Windshield Wiper Issue

Local time
6:47 AM
Reaction score
Hey there. My Grenadier has a major issue when the wipers are on. The wipers skip badly nearly all the time. It reminds me of having an old car in very cold weather. Both wipers do it and the car is new. If I had to guess there is too much play in the wiper gears and/or the springs forcing the wipers to the windshield are too weak.

Has anyone had this issue before? Is it just me? If you have had it, how was it fixed?

Thanks.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:47 AM
Reaction score
It is a pretty common thing that has been talked about... Some believe the spring forcing the wipers down isn't strong enough. For me it was made 60-70% better after switching from the OEM wipers to Bosch Icon wipers. Personally, I keep the windshield well coated with a ceramic sealant (Griot's Ceramic 3-in-1) and Rain-X, to minimize the use of wipers in general

Kujo

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hey there. My Grenadier has a major issue when the wipers are on. The wipers skip badly nearly all the time. It reminds me of having an old car in very cold weather. Both wipers do it and the car is new. If I had to guess there is too much play in the wiper gears and/or the springs forcing the wipers to the windshield are too weak.

Has anyone had this issue before? Is it just me? If you have had it, how was it fixed?

Thanks.
I got caught in a rain storm today and encountered the same problem with both wipers.

Local time
Reaction score
It is a pretty common thing that has been talked about... Some believe the spring forcing the wipers down isn't strong enough. For me it was made 60-70% better after switching from the OEM wipers to Bosch Icon wipers. Personally, I keep the windshield well coated with a ceramic sealant (Griot's Ceramic 3-in-1) and Rain-X, to minimize the use of wipers in general
Do you have the part number for the Bosch Icon wipers and/or the size? ITs probably easier if I try that first.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Do you have the part number for the Bosch Icon wipers and/or the size? ITs probably easier if I try that first.
The front windshield uses the 16" Bosch Icons (16A)

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:47 PM
Reaction score
Denso Hybrid are the best in my opinion and the Bosch ones are good but don’t last. The OEM ones are terrible.

holdmybeer

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:47 AM
Reaction score
Yeah my wipers were skipping and chattering like crazy this morning in the rain and fog. Usually it's worse for the first hour or so of use after a dry spell because of all the tiny particles of pollution and nature that get stuck to the windshield. Then it smooths out. But I'll check out the Bosch Icon 16A . Thanks for the tip, @anand

Never used any kind of coating. Have been leery of Rain-X since I learned the manufacturer admits it's not good for paint or vinyl or aluminum surfaces. Shouldn't matter with careful application, I guess. Maybe I'll step into the modern world and try a ceramic application of some kind.

We get 160+ days of rain per year here. So I guess our eyes just adapt to looking through beaded, streaky, misty windshields. Lolsigh.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Never used any kind of coating. Have been leery of Rain-X since I learned the manufacturer admits it's not good for paint or vinyl or aluminum surfaces. Shouldn't matter with careful application, I guess. Maybe I'll step into the modern world and try a ceramic application of some kind.
I'm pretty exacting with the Rain-X aerosol application (the window cleaner and rain-x combo spray doesn't work nearly as well), so no real overspray.

I've had awesome water beading results with both Griots Ceramic 3-in-1 and P&S Bead Maker, although the Griots seems to last a bit longer. Initial application was "dry" (whole vehicle), and then after that I spray it on with the whole vehicle wet after a wash, let it dwell for about 15 seconds, then rinse (I do this in 2 panel chunks), then dry and it seems to have similar effects to Rain-X (but for the whole vehicle)

Local time
Reaction score
of the several Grenadiers that I have driven it seems that the eOEM need to bed in I have had the skipping etc tried rained Glaco etc but they just seem to need to bed in then they were fine.

shiv.nandak

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
of the several Grenadiers that I have driven it seems that the eOEM need to bed in I have had the skipping etc tried rained Glaco etc but they just seem to need to bed in then they were fine.
I have aftermarket rain-x wipers and they were even worse than OEM. I could not turn on the wipers unless there was sufficient water on the windshield.

Local time
Reaction score
Yes I got that effect too would not wipe until totally wet or at least a good amount of screen wash

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:47 PM
Reaction score
The amount of rain does appear to be relevant.

I fixed my problem by turning the wipers to full speed for several minutes (I did it a few times) and they seem to have settled in, problem gone. For me the wiper blades just needed to settle in.

MrWiggleBottom

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:47 AM
Reaction score

Thanks.
My Jeep did this too. A 2023 Wrangler Rubicon even. I wonder if it’s a manufacturer of wipers thing or very vertical window thing? Following….

Local time
Reaction score
Had the setting in seems to apply to OEM & Bosch in my experience

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:47 PM
Reaction score

Thanks.
I'm assuming that the wiper blades "lay over" correctly when the wipers change direction?
A couple of suggestions: Spray some WD40 on a rag and wipe the edges of the wiper blades. Get a clay bar and using soapy water give the windscreen the once over to remove any road grime....

Quartermaster

Quatermaster Owner
Local time
1:47 PM
Reaction score
Check the angle between arm and windscreen. Should be parallel. If not, bend the arm. I had this with my brandnew G-Wagon.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I had this on my rear wiper. It was caused by the spring not being able to pull the wipers onto the glass with enough force. I asked the dealer to lubricate it when it went in for a service, that solved the issue. I’d remove the wiper blades and check that the hinge has not seized up and is allowing pressure to be put through the blade. A bit of grease and some back and forth movement on the hinge should fix it.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Best glass treatment I have ever used was Nanofilm defender, sadly discontinued. I like to use something similar to smooth the wiper/glass interface. I’m OK with the standard wiper performance, maybe a wick shot of windscreen fluid to start when there is not a lot of rain.

Best wipers I have ever used were Silblade silicone. Silicone is super effective when used with a glass treatment. I have not searched for these for the Gren.

Back
Top Bottom