The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Windscreen keeps fogging up

muxmax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Media Moderator
Local time
10:38 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone else have the problem that the windscreen keeps fogging up from the outside? I would like to find out if this is a general design fault or an individual problem with my vehicle: The AC outlet in the dashboard keeps blowing cold air which leads to the windscreen constantly fogging up from the outside in humid conditions; be it rain or just higher humidity outside. I have tried turning off the AC (btw: does anyone know whether the light means on or off?) and switching the fan setting to all possible other directions. That only led to the windscreen fogging up from the inside. The AC being set too low doesn't seem to be the problem either since today the problem occurred with the temperature set to 20 C at an outside temperature of 18°C. It would be helpful to get your responses.

Wilaspira

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:38 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone else have the problem that the windscreen keeps fogging up from the outside? I would like to find out if this is a general design fault or an individual problem with my vehicle: The AC outlet in the dashboard keeps blowing cold air which leads to the windscreen constantly fogging up from the outside in humid conditions; be it rain or just higher humidity outside. I have tried turning off the AC (btw: does anyone know whether the light means on or off?) and switching the fan setting to all possible other directions. That only led to the windscreen fogging up from the inside. The AC being set too low doesn't seem to be the problem either since today the problem occurred with the temperature set to 20 C at an outside temperature of 18°C. It would be helpful to get your responses.
Mine does the same. It hasn’t been a real issue for me (and I was relieved once I worked out the fog was on the outside rather than inside) so I have tolerated it. Using the wiper once or twice seems to clear it until the external and internal temperatures of the glass equalise

Vote:
Upvote 0

Voader - Oudersopzwier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, same here. And the light needs to be on (visual) for the automatic setting. So led on = automatic regulation is active.
I mostly also use now and then the wipers to get the fog away.
Or I just let them blow less to the windscreen and the temperature a bit higher. You can adjust this a bit manually, and then push again the automatic function if the LED went out due to the manual manipulation.

Vote:
Upvote 0

WPP

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Mine fogs as well. As it is from the outside no big deal after using the wipers.
As for the automatic regulation (ac light and temp control lights on) it does not seem to work very "automatic". The software update hopefully solves this.

Vote:
Upvote 0

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
That happened with my Mercedes E and C, with my VW Passat, actually with our Isuzu D-MAX and with the Defender Td4 anyway. I assume that ist related to physical processes and laws.

AWo

Vote:
Upvote 0

muxmax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Media Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
That happened with my Mercedes E and C, with my VW Passat, actually with our Isuzu D-MAX and with the Defender Td4 anyway. I assume that ist related to physical processes and laws.

AWo
Thanks. Of course it is a physical process: the windscreen is significantly colder than the outside air which causes the air humidity to condense on the glass. Albeit, I have never had that happen on any of my cars before and as far as I could see in the traffic jam this morning, nobody else had to use their wipers once the rain had stopped. Maybe I need to be more precise: I had to wipe my windscreen every half minute or so. In the tunnels it was even worse and at one point the screen completely fogged up. This didn't get better on the entire ca. 50 minute drive as the AC kept blowing very cool air at the screen. I consider this to be a safety issue and will have that looked at.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Oskar

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Same behavior on my side. I did not check the precise temperatures. It maybe the air blown on the windscreen is colder compared to the other outlets. In any case this is not a problem for me. I just tolerate it. Had similar behavior in my BMWs as well in humid conditions.

Vote:
Upvote 0

shiv.nandak

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
To the OP, have you tried using the dedicated front defrost button? That should clear everything, although it may make the interior too hot. If you have the problem where interior gets too hot - turn off auto, fan speed 3+, fan direction defrost, set temp to as hot as you can tolerate. Also, leave the ac turned on (it helps defrost as well).

Vote:
Upvote 0

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
Thanks. Of course it is a physical process: the windscreen is significantly colder than the outside air which causes the air humidity to condense on the glass. Albeit, I have never had that happen on any of my cars before and as far as I could see in the traffic jam this morning, nobody else had to use their wipers once the rain had stopped. Maybe I need to be more precise: I had to wipe my windscreen every half minute or so. In the tunnels it was even worse and at one point the screen completely fogged up. This didn't get better on the entire ca. 50 minute drive as the AC kept blowing very cool air at the screen. I consider this to be a safety issue and will have that looked at.
Use the airconditioning, it dries the air.

AWo

Vote:
Upvote 0

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:38 AM
Reaction score
Mine fogs as well, I leave it on auto and for some reason, the defrost vents are on too. It creates angel wing shaped fogging on the outside.

Vote:
Upvote 0

4x4Brick #1561

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I have exactly the same issue. My wife was checking while I was driving and the blowing from the exhaust stopped on 'Feet Only' mode. I live in a very humid town so it would be a great thing to get fixed if a software fix could address the issue.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:38 PM
Reaction score
I noticed that on auto setting, there is always some air blowing out of the windscreen vents. I just turn off "auto" and manually set the vents to front facing or feet or both, but still with AC on and temperature set. No more issue. As long as there is no air blowing on the windscreen directly you can still have the other vents blowing at whatever temperature you set with the centre knob. This solution also results in slightly higher air flow out of the front vents.

Vote:
Upvote 0

RYAustralia

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I tried all of that but there is always air coming out of the windscreen vents irrespective of any settings that I change. So the outside lower windscreen always mists up outside whoever the A/c is on - which is 100% of the time when it’s 32 degrees outside with 90%+ humidity. Up here in the tropics that inability to switch off the windscreen vents is a real pain. Dealer said others have complained too but no fix from Ineos offered.

Reactions: PBD
Vote:
Upvote 0

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I tried all of that but there is always air coming out of the windscreen vents irrespective of any settings that I change. So the outside lower windscreen always mists up outside whoever the A/c is on - which is 100% of the time when it’s 32 degrees outside with 90%+ humidity. Up here in the tropics that inability to switch off the windscreen vents is a real pain. Dealer said others have complained too but no fix from Ineos offered.
Hi @RYAustralia, yes, unfortunately that's how it is. We don't have any tropics here, but I can understand what you're saying. My heating/ventilation and air conditioning settings basically work. However, not all nozzles are always activated immediately as shown on the rotary switch. Everything runs with a time delay. If the fresh air at the windscreen and the outlets to the side windows is too cold, I switch on warmer air from the centre nozzles and the round outlets on the left and right. So far, I've always managed with this. But as I said, the climate is not comparable to yours. As far as I have learnt, there is currently no activity in this regard. But the topic has been addressed for some time and will hopefully still be taken up.

Reactions: PBD
Vote:
Upvote 0

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
There must be some leakage inside the HVAC system then because when I set my vents manually to either face or feet I get no air out of the screen vents at all.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:38 AM
Reaction score
There must be some leakage inside the HVAC system then because when I set my vents manually to either face or feet I get no air out of the screen vents at all.
It’s down to sticky actuators/flaps and slow to respond. Mines gradually improved by going under the passenger side dash and remove the cabin filter. Engine on, switch to max fan speed, heat 25, recirculation on, turn the air blower to each mode and wait for the actuators to rotate (hear the clicks). Repeat this a few times and the actuators will loosen over time. Reinsert the cabin filter with the carbon facing forward if I can remember correctly. No more condensation. Apart from software issues, dealers are very reluctant to dismantle the whole dashboard to inspect.

Vote:
Upvote 1

RYAustralia

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It’s down to sticky actuators/flaps and slow to respond. Mines gradually improved by going under the passenger side dash and remove the cabin filter. Engine on, switch to max fan speed, heat 25, recirculation on, turn the air blower to each mode and wait for the actuators to rotate (hear the clicks). Repeat this a few times and the actuators will loosen over time. Reinsert the cabin filter with the carbon facing forward if I can remember correctly. No more condensation. Apart from software issues, dealers are very reluctant to dismantle the whole dashboard to inspect.
Thanks. It’s back from service today so I’ll try that this morning.

Vote:
Upvote 0

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Mine does occasionally as well
I just blip the wipers and it clears it off.
I have aircon on continuously on auto with the light on.

Vote:
Upvote 0

angstorms

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
When I was driving in snowing wipers were freezing up I saw some of this, hit with defroster and it was good.

I saw this in manual today, I did not know I needed to turn on rear defrost button to turn heater for front windshield washer fluid warmer

From the manual

Heated windscreen washer jets

The windshield washer warmers heat the front washer jets in cold weather to prevent the washer fluid from freezing. They are
activated with the heated rear window button.

Last edited:
Vote:
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom