The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Winch problem

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:30 PM
Reaction score
My Winch regularly stops working. After switching off and on again both overhead 500amp switch and remote it works again. Had this several times with and without load. So it is not overheating i assume. Did you experience similar problems? Maybe a problem with the remote? Btw. where is the fuse for the winch.
Thx. C

1000033060.jpg

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
1:30 PM
Reaction score
John Canny mentioned his winch cut out on him when he was on a trip. It stopped working. Two occurrences does not create a trend but lets see if others start having issues.

Reactions: Max

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:30 AM
Reaction score
My Winch regularly stops working. After switching off and on again both overhead 500amp switch and remote it works again. Had this several times with and without load. So it is not overheating i assume. Did you experience similar problems? Maybe a problem with the remote? Btw. where is the fuse for the winch.
Thx. C

View attachment 7845135
As far as I can determine the only “fuse” for the front winch is a 150 amp auto reset circuit breaker located in the engine bay next to the positive jumpstart post.
cheers
Steve

Last edited:

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:30 PM
Reaction score
Last edited:

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thx. C

View attachment 7845135
A fantastic photo with the little Clergyman up there on the roof giving the last rites. It would be a worthy contender for the Photo Contest...brilliant...titled 'The Last Rites'

samnt650

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have similar problem (winch power cut) while pulling. I had to flip the main switch to "reset" Dealer claimed they could not reproduce the issue (not like they would put the winch under load and test it...) I get apx 30 to 60 sec winch run time before each cut off...

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
7:30 AM
Reaction score
I have similar problem (winch power cut) while pulling. I had to flip the main switch to "reset" Dealer claimed they could not reproduce the issue (not like they would put the winch under load and test it...) I get apx 30 to 60 sec winch run time before each cut off...

I use a conservative duty cycle (15 seconds on, 30 seconds off) which is less likely to cause the 150A circuit breaker in the engine compartment (which works on amp draw over time) to trip.

Local time
Reaction score
I use a conservative duty cycle (15 seconds on, 30 seconds off) which is less likely to cause the 150A circuit breaker in the engine compartment (which works on amp draw over time) to trip.
simple circuit breakers function with a bi metalic strip that bends under heat, and "trips" the breaker. That strip will bend to the trip point at a nominal amount of amperage. There are time delays from instantaneous to long, but that's only long enough to establish the motor in indeed locked and not just delayed because its starting under load or something. In a properly designed system there is no heat buildup that will trip the breaker outside of its amp parameters that you can avoid by cycling like you do.

SO, if you're running your winch, and its tripping the breaker

1) The winch has issues. It's overheating and causing a spike in amp draw and breaker is protecting it.
2) The wiring is undersized, causing voltage drop, amp increase, heat increase, more amp increase, and so on until the breaker trips.. if youre lucky. That scenario just as often ends in brittle and failing insulation.
3) There's a bad connection causing results like the above.
4) What is likely if there are unexplained nuisance trips unrelated to amp draw, is the breaker being faulty. Replace it. There's a bi metal strip, a spring, a cam, plastic pivot points etc etc etc of some kind in there. Unless they are designed to be switch rated maybe as art of a relay system, they do wear out and they are not precision built instruments. Simply put, you can test 10000 simple breakers and none will trip exactly the same. There will be some far to sensitive, and others dangerously slow.

And another thing, since the tripping is a function of amp draw and not time, constantly stopping and staring the motor is hitting the breaker (and motor) with momentary inrush currents greater than the rating, and is more likely to trip it not less. Stopping and starting a motor is function of keeping it within its duty cycle, and has nothing to do with protecting an over current devise. The same goes for magnetic or electronic breakers which I doubt are in a car.

These issues sound to me like a faulty relay, or one that isn't getting the signal to close, or mistakenly gets a signal to open. Without a wiring diagram who know what spooky way they chose to control the power.

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
7:30 AM
Reaction score
simple circuit breakers function with a bi metalic strip that bends under heat, and "trips" the breaker. That strip will bend to the trip point at a nominal amount of amperage. There are time delays from instantaneous to long, but that's only long enough to establish the motor in indeed locked and not just delayed because its starting under load or something. In a properly designed system there is no heat buildup that will trip the breaker outside of its amp parameters that you can avoid by cycling like you do.

1) The winch has issues. It's overheating and causing a spike in amp draw and breaker is protecting it.
2) The wiring is undersized, causing voltage drop, amp increase, heat increase, more amp increase, and so on until the breaker trips.. if youre lucky. That scenario just as often ends in brittle and failing insulation.
4) What is likely if there are unexplained nuisance trips unrelated to amp draw, is the breaker being faulty. Replace it. There's a bi metal strip, a spring, a cam, plastic pivot points etc etc etc of some kind in there. Unless they are designed to be switch rated maybe as art of a relay system, they do wear out and they are not precision built instruments. Simply put, you can test 10000 simple breakers and none will trip exactly the same. There will be some far to sensitive, and others dangerously slow.

And another thing, since the tripping is a function of amp draw and not time, constantly stopping and staring the motor is hitting the breaker (and motor) with momentary inrush currents greater than the rating, and is more likely to trip it not less. Stopping and starting a motor is function of keeping it within its duty cycle, and has nothing to do with protecting an over current devise. The same goes for magnetic or electronic breakers which I doubt are in a car.

These issues sound to me like a faulty relay, or one that isn't getting the signal to close, or mistakenly gets a signal to open. Without a wiring diagram who know what spooky way they chose to control the power.

My decision to use a conservative winching cycle is based on best practice for avoiding deterioration of the synthetic rope due to heat build up, as well as mechanical sympathy for the winch and batteries.

From the User Manual for the INEOS integrated front winch from Red Winches …

IMG_0509.jpeg

From the Winch Handling Course by Getabout Training Services, INEOS Australia's national training partner (which was not limited to the RWG-01, but covered winching in general) …

IMG_0511.jpeg

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
9:30 PM
Reaction score

I recommend to read this .

Back
Top Bottom