The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

What’s the deal with the rear headrests?

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:41 PM
Reaction score
I generally wing it, meaning side view mirrors and rear view solely for keeping an eye on the chaos in the rear (small kids)

As for the head rests. Isn’t there space for them under the front seats? Surely with the lack of motors and electrickery there should be enough room.
not quite, that's where the tool roll for wheel changes is stowed (driver's seat). The large head rests are too bulky... ;)

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
large headrest won't fit, smaller one fills the opening void nicely but goes no further.. there is insufficient clearance for either headrest to be stowed forward under front seats from either the front or rear footwell20230923_164234.jpg20230923_164209.jpg20230923_163954.jpg

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Won’t it be a great thing if the only thing we have to complain about with the IG (once the electrical gremlins are sorted) is the size and storage of the second row headrests.
It's a deal breaker for me.
I am cancelling my order and writing a stern letter to the head janitor at the Ineos factory.

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm back on the headrest trail. The big ones on the rear seat are just impractical as they cannot be removed without tilting the seat back forward because they hit the roof. They also reduce rear visibility which is a precious commodity.

From what I can see, the latest in-force version of ADR 22/00 2006 concerning head restraints still only mandates them for front seats, but I can see where I think Ineos Australia have opted to use the minimum height limit of 700mm from seat base to lowest adjusted height on the rear seats out of an abundance of caution.

22.2. PROVISION, LOCATION AND SIZE
22.2.1. A ‘Head Restraint’ must be provided for each front ‘Outboard Seating Position’. It may be provided with vertical and lateral adjustable mounting, and may be removable without the use of tools.
22.2.2. The ‘Head Restraint’ must be so designed that:
22.2.2.1. it presents an impact surface which extends between 2 planes not less than 115 mm apart and normal to the ‘Torso Line’; and
22.2.2.2. the upper boundary of the impact surface is not less than 700 mm above the ‘Seating Reference Point measured along the ‘Torso Line’, for any position of adjustment which may be provided.

For reference, the smaller centre headrest in the Grenadier is only 660mm above the seat base.
I checked in our 2018 VW Golf which has the same type of cut-over seat back headrests and they are indeed more than 700mm above the seat base. So I am still trying to find if there is some other piece of possibly state-based legislation that mandates this minimum dimension on rear head restraints, thereby setting an effective national design rule by default.

I still want to see if Ineos can swap them over as the big headrests just bug the crap out of me.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm back on the headrest trail. The big ones on the rear seat are just impractical as they cannot be removed without tilting the seat back forward because they hit the roof. They also reduce rear visibility which is a precious commodity.

From what I can see, the latest in-force version of ADR 22/00 2006 concerning head restraints still only mandates them for front seats, but I can see where I think Ineos Australia have opted to use the minimum height limit of 700mm from seat base to lowest adjusted height on the rear seats out of an abundance of caution.

22.2. PROVISION, LOCATION AND SIZE
22.2.1. A ‘Head Restraint’ must be provided for each front ‘Outboard Seating Position’. It may be provided with vertical and lateral adjustable mounting, and may be removable without the use of tools.
22.2.2. The ‘Head Restraint’ must be so designed that:
22.2.2.1. it presents an impact surface which extends between 2 planes not less than 115 mm apart and normal to the ‘Torso Line’; and
22.2.2.2. the upper boundary of the impact surface is not less than 700 mm above the ‘Seating Reference Point measured along the ‘Torso Line’, for any position of adjustment which may be provided.

For reference, the smaller centre headrest in the Grenadier is only 660mm above the seat base.
I checked in our 2018 VW Golf which has the same type of cut-over seat back headrests and they are indeed more than 700mm above the seat base. So I am still trying to find if there is some other piece of possibly state-based legislation that mandates this minimum dimension on rear head restraints, thereby setting an effective national design rule by default.

I still want to see if Ineos can swap them over as the big headrests just bug the crap out of me.
Me also.... :mad:
Since we don't carry passengers, I've removed mine and stored them in a cardboard box in the rear compartment..

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I actually really like the big small big combo. Looks classy.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:41 AM
Reaction score
What are NA Gren’s coming with, large/small or mix of rear seat headrests?

Also curious if seat cover supplier match the NA configuration (including Ineos)?

Back
Top Bottom