The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

What’s the deal with the rear headrests?

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:28 PM
Reaction score
OK. I’ve seen photos of delivered vehicles posted as well as actual production series vehicles with two different types of rear headrests…
IMG_1212.jpeg
IMG_0266.jpeg
I must be missing something but I cannot for the life of me work out why there are two different designs?

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:28 AM
Reaction score

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just to clarify, both vehicles shown in the photos above are Australian deliveries, full leather trim non-utility spec.

One design they sit fully above the seat back and on the other they recess over the seat back when pushed all the way down. I couldn’t find a front photo of the first type.

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Aren't they the same but folding?
You can clearly see the difference in the first photo where the centre headrest only is the recessed type.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:28 PM
Reaction score
I would say the lower one is the one for the middle seat to get the view back through the mirror. Could be that they accidentally (or because they had nothing else on stock) mounted this one to all seats.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:28 AM
Reaction score

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi @Solmanic, in my Trialmaster the recessed headrests are fitted as shown in the picture below.
What challenges that idea is the fact that the online configurator shows all three as the recessed type too.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Might be to do with Aussie crash testing regs. To stop whiplash in taller rear seat passengers... Headrests should always be adjusted up to the back of the head so it can’t fly backwards. Maybe they are taking this decision away from the consumer?

Mussels

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
OK. I’ve seen photos of delivered vehicles posted as well as actual production series vehicles with two different types of rear headrests…
View attachment 7824852
View attachment 7824853
I must be missing something but I cannot for the life of me work out why there are two different designs?
My pennyworth is that the PDI person has temporarily got the front headrests in the wrong position. The nearside front seat in the top photo may not have a headrest located, the photo showing something else. 🤷‍♂️

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Might be to do with Aussie crash testing regs. To stop whiplash in taller rear seat passengers... Headrests should always be adjusted up to the back of the head so it can’t fly backwards. Maybe they are taking this decision away from the consumer?
I thought that too but I looked at a production series vehicle a couple of weeks ago with all recessed headrests. Also plenty of other cars here have the same style.

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ive got the non-leather trim with heavy duty covers. Tall/short/tall is the set up.
Yeah, I suspected it might be the trim however all the non-leather test drive vehicles I’ve driven were all recessed. And like I said above, the configuration website shows the same regardless of trim.

The logic has got me stumped.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Australian, Trialmaster, leather seats
IMG_4594.jpeg

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Mine (all three) are like the one in the middle - which I like more. You cann pull them up as needed.

The other ones always stay in your field of view.

I have a utility.

PS: I've just seen that the front head rests are like the two ones above on the left and right side. To me, this looks like they haven't had enough of the shallower ones and have just taken the front seat versions.

Last edited:

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Mine (all three) are like the one in the middle - which I like more. You cann pull them up as needed.

I have a utility.
I think that may be the defining characteristic, the utility, in addition to getting the more upright rear seats and less leg room, gets the smaller headrests; at least logically that would make sense.

Again, all speculation here

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think that may be the defining characteristic, the utility, in addition to getting the more upright rear seats and less leg room, gets the smaller headrests; at least logically that would make sense.

Again, all speculation here
I have a Trialmaster with the Utility seats and have the 3 x smaller headrests.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My Fieldmaster has three small ones as well. I had to check, because I really didn’t know from memory.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As an aside, in other vehicle circles, replacing the rear headrests with the small (usually center) versions was a highly sought after "modification"

Back
Top Bottom