The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

We didnt start the fire

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
3:26 AM
Reaction score
Looks like another one caught fire.
This one in a safari park. Unable to use Google translate.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
6:26 AM
Reaction score
Wonder if that is the vehicles fault or as I suspect a build up of combustible material around the exhaust from ploughing through the long grass.

Many vehicles gone up in flames due to that !!

WhiteBear

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:26 PM
Reaction score
Translation by Google:

NEW VEHICLE BURNS DOWN IN KHAUDUM NATIONAL PARK
Claudia Reiter
18 HOURS AGO - 2024-05-30 00:05:00
Windhoek (cr) • On Tuesday afternoon an Ineos Grenadier burned down about 11 km north of the north entrance in Khaudum National Park. “Thank God we arrived at the right time. The two occupants managed to save themselves and stopped us in shock. By acting quickly together, the fire was brought under control with shovels and a lot of sand,” an AZ reader explained to the editorial team.

Accordingly, it is a two-month-old vehicle purchased in Windhoek. According to the owner, a yellow warning light came on and he stopped to investigate. However, when the driver got out, the engine compartment was already on fire.

“This raises serious questions about the off-road capability and safety of INEOS’ new vehicle type. Within seconds everything was on fire. The aluminum engine block is completely melted, as are the doors and parts of the rims,” said the AZ reader. “Initial assumptions point to technical defects that should not occur in an off-road vehicle of this price range and with this standard.” A vehicle fire in Khaudum National Park can have catastrophic consequences for the sensitive ecosystem. “The manufacturer should ensure that its vehicles are truly suitable for extreme conditions to ensure the safety of passengers and the protection of nature.”

The rescuers in distress then took the now stranded Grenadier owners with their last belongings to the park entrance. “We reported the incident to the responsible authorities and gave them the coordinates of the burned-out vehicle. We were very shocked at the composure of the men in charge at the park entrance, which bordered on indifference. There are many people living in small villages in the area north of the Khaudum park boundary whose lives would be in danger if the vegetation was currently completely dried out by a fire.”

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:26 AM
Reaction score
Looks like another one caught fire.
This one in a safari park. Unable to use Google translate.

Khaudom is as wild as wild can be. Lucky others were around to help rescue the occupants. I was there two months ago
IMG_1966.jpeg

I just did a translate.
IMG_1967.jpeg
IMG_1968.jpeg
IMG_1969.jpeg

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Well the insurance claim will certainly state it was a technical fault. For them I sort of hope it was, so they are covered.

On the other hand I hope it wasn’t the fault of the vehicle as this puts another downer on things and a longer shadow over the IG, the haters will love it.

I only know of two that have burnt out and neither of them were driving to work or whilst going through the McDonald’s drive thru !!

acwiltshire

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Well the insurance claim will certainly state it was a technical fault. For them I sort of hope it was, so they are covered.

On the other hand I hope it wasn’t the fault of the vehicle as this puts another downer on things and a longer shadow over the IG, the haters will love it.

I only know of two that have burnt out and neither of them were driving to work or whilst going through the McDonald’s drive thru !!
Its fair to say that IA have provided a very sustantial escape ladder for anyone who does fit a firepit on the roof rack.

Bayford

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I remember driving through Khaudum in the mid 1980's in an old Series 2 LWB landrover with a large Ford petrol engine shoehorned into it. We were naive teenagers and in retrospect I am surprised we didn't catch on fire with 25 or so 5 gallon jerry cans of petrol strapped to the roof rack, chain smoking all the way from Harare to Swakopmund, and lighting fires next to the land rover every night to cook. I wonder if hot sun and cans of petrol on the roof might have been a contributory factor? Its one of the reasons I have chosen diesel landcruisers and a diesel grenadier - as a smoker I have always felt better puffing away in the car with 10 gallons of Diesel in a couple of Jerry cans in the back of the car than with 10 gallons of petrol.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I remember driving through Khaudum in the mid 1980's in an old Series 2 LWB landrover with a large Ford petrol engine shoehorned into it. We were naive teenagers and in retrospect I am surprised we didn't catch on fire with 25 or so 5 gallon jerry cans of petrol strapped to the roof rack, chain smoking all the way from Harare to Swakopmund, and lighting fires next to the land rover every night to cook. I wonder if hot sun and cans of petrol on the roof might have been a contributory factor? Its one of the reasons I have chosen diesel landcruisers and a diesel grenadier - as a smoker I have always felt better puffing away in the car with 10 gallons of Diesel in a couple of Jerry cans in the back of the car than with 10 gallons of petrol.
I have a petrol grenadier and carried 100l of petrol on the roof in 5 x 20l Wavian explosion proof Jerry cans through Khaudom at end of jan this year with very hot temperatures and central Kalahari with bush fires everywhere. I doubt it would be hot enough at the end of May to cause combustion of Jerry cans on the roof. 🤔

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
9:26 PM
Reaction score
In '67 this city academic with no 4x4 experience bought a S2 LR and drove for 6 months in the outback, alone, retracing an old explorer's tracks.
8 jerry cans of petrol in the back.
But he was smart enough to clear the spinifex.
This book was part of my matric English studies subject. Great book!
From a time when everything was simpler , if not as lardacious and luxurious as today.
1000022339.jpg

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:26 PM
Reaction score
I particularly liked this comment
“Initial assumptions point to technical defects that should not occur in an off-road vehicle of this price range and with this standard.”

Initial assumptions is another way of saying "Complete guess"
Technical defects I guess is accurate because "technically" the vehicle should only have flames inside the engine.
Some clarification required on what price range is acceptable for vehicle burning to the ground??

Hicarus

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
From the point of a retired forensic engineer responsible for the investigation of far too many car fires, there is far and away too little information on this. Point One: diesel or petrol? To the great disbelief of many, diesel is far more dangerous than petrol, especially in hot climates. Point Two, there is no information on the state of service. It may only be 2 months old, but what was the pre-delivery service standard? Any home-grown bolt on goodies? Etc.....
I could go on........ but from my experience, under-bonnet fires are usually electrical in origin, especially on newish vehicles.
Far, far too early to start even thinking about blaming the vehicle. How many in use versus how many gone up in smoke?

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:26 PM
Reaction score
It could have been an Ineos fault, or an occupant/environment fault.

Either way, the Ineos fanbois and Blame Everybody Karens will be fighting on either side of the trench on this one, and the media will lap it up.

Good to see the guys out there experiencing the world are safe regardless.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
To the great disbelief of many, diesel is far more dangerous than petrol, especially in hot climates.
I dare you to post that on any Australian 4x4 platform 😉
Where last century medieval beliefs refuse to die 😁

dreamalaska

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:26 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the final verdict was on what caused the fire on the Grenny that burned down on the beach?

Endless speculation has its place but gets tiresome after a while.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the final verdict was on what caused the fire on the Grenny that burned down
The very second that information becomes public it will be posted here and on every IG and Land Rover and 4x4 group globally 😉

Bayford

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have a petrol grenadier and carried 100l of petrol on the roof in 5 x 20l Wavian explosion proof Jerry cans through Khaudom at end of jan this year with very hot temperatures and central Kalahari with bush fires everywhere. I doubt it would be hot enough at the end of May to cause combustion of Jerry cans on the roof. 🤔
That's a fair point about the time of year Logsplitter and I am sure that modern Wavian explosion proof jerry cans are far safer than what was available in Zimbabwe 40 years ago. I think my point was really that I wouldn't be in a great rush to blame the car without more information being available.

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
12:26 PM
Reaction score
...To the great disbelief of many, diesel is far more dangerous than petrol, especially in hot climates.
Interesting. Would like to know more, are you willing to give deeper insight?

The only reason I can think about is something that happended to me ~10 years ago with my VW T3 camper: Very small crack in one of the 4 injector pipes, causing a fine spray of diesel in the engine bay. If that spray would have been directed to turbocharger/exhaust manifold, I believe I would have lost the van. Luckily, the direction of the spray was upwards...

Local time
Reaction score
To the great disbelief of many, diesel is far more dangerous than petrol, especially in hot climates.
Can you open this up a little?

EDIT: As above is mentioned high pressure spray is flammable but never seen a low pressure diesel leak burn any car. Land Rover TdV6 (and possibly also TdV8) engines have injectors thay may start leaking (low pressure) on top of cam cover but despite exhaust manifolds and turbo on LH side (TdV8 both sides) usually fuel is only vaporized and causes white smoke. I have heard abud one burned car but have no detailed information on that.

Last edited:

Hicarus

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Can you open this up a little?

EDIT: As above is mentioned high pressure spray is flammable but never seen a low pressure diesel leak burn any car. Land Rover TdV6 (and possibly also TdV8) engines have injectors thay may start leaking (low pressure) on top of cam cover but despite exhaust manifolds and turbo on LH side (TdV8 both sides) usually fuel is only vaporized and causes white smoke. I have heard abud one burned car but have no detailed information on that.
Expand this? Certainly...
Diesel fuel has an auto ignition point of around 430 degrees C: petrol is around the 625 degrees mark. Auto ignition is the temperature when the liquid will spontaneously burst into flame. Diesel can ignite as a liquid or as part of the general dust gunk that collects around engines. There is also the truck drivers favorite (in UK, anyway), the oily dieselly rag that's got too near the exhaust system.
Petrol can spill onto red hot exhausts and not ignite. Yes, it can - and I've personally demonstrated it to senior (and disbelieving) Chief Fire Officers. The gas cloud that follows is a totally different kettle of fish, though, and will only be too happy to demonstrate that if it can find a spark.
Leaking petrol is also safeish provided that it is kept short of one of the three points of the fire triangle, heat, fuel and oxygen. As it normally has two already, heat in the form of a spark, flame or a stinking hot (625+/- degrees, recall) chunk of something.
Diesel is viewed as more dangerous because people are mostly aware of the dangers with petrol and so tend to ignore diesel.

Back
Top Bottom