The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Vibrations at certain RPM

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
2:40 AM
Reaction score
I was still getting some harshness at 1700-1800 rpm. So after @ECrider pointed me to @rovie 's post i thought I'd investigate further.

Under the bonnet of my diesel grenadier, I found a bit of heat shielding that's held on by a 10mm bolt. It's between the airbox and the firewall on the drivers side (RHD). This bolt was loose as a goose. 2 full turns before it nipped up tight.

It's all but eliminated the harsh vibrations. You can still tell that's the engines natural resonance band, but it's 90% better now. Worth checking out

Wilaspira

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:40 PM
Reaction score
I was still getting some harshness at 1700-1800 rpm. So after @ECrider pointed me to @rovie 's post i thought I'd investigate further.

Under the bonnet of my diesel grenadier, I found a bit of heat shielding that's held on by a 10mm bolt. It's between the airbox and the firewall on the drivers side (RHD). This bolt was loose as a goose. 2 full turns before it nipped up tight.

It's all but eliminated the harsh vibrations. You can still tell that's the engines natural resonance band, but it's 90% better now. Worth checking out
I have a very tiny/tinny rattle at c1800-2000 revs which is irritating (diesel n1). I looked under car and heat shield over exhaust at rear at one point/corner was evidently rattling when I very slightly tapped it. If this works, easy fix of some rubber at the relevant corner (touchwood). Would have been better if Ineos had engineered things such that this “aftermarket” fix had not been needed but no-one died, so in the scheme of thing all is good!

Local time
Reaction score
There are 2 heater pipes up under the glove box (yes the hot pipes watch out) they can possibly cause a vibration check they don't touch.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:40 PM
Reaction score

@Spjnr Hey, that's great! Thanks for the tip. I'll have a look at that too.

Znarfgh

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:40 AM
Reaction score
My TD5 has the problem that around 2000 rpm there are no vibration. Help is welcome. Don’t know whether the car is to rescue at all. Maybe I have to wreck it 😢
Over and under 2000 rpm lots of vibration and Klangs and klongs.
Yep, mine too - had it in both TD5's

Telliottaus

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:40 AM
Reaction score
There are 2 heater pipes up under the glove box (yes the hot pipes watch out) they can possibly cause a vibration check they don't touch.
I'm going to have a look at that as there is something vibrating when my climate fan is on high....

Reactions: PBD

Angus

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:40 AM
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have had a diesel Grenadier for a few weeks and find that the vibration occurs around 2000 RPM, especially if you accelerate slowly and maintain the RPM in this range. It is especially annoying when off-road as the engine works hard at these RPM and it gets pretty noisy. I was wondering if it might also be due to resonance from the heat shields, but there is definitely a specific RPM and gearing range that sets it off. I have heard the petrol versions do not have this problem.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have had a diesel Grenadier for a few weeks and find that the vibration occurs around 2000 RPM, especially if you accelerate slowly and maintain the RPM in this range. It is especially annoying when off-road as the engine works hard at these RPM and it gets pretty noisy. I was wondering if it might also be due to resonance from the heat shields, but there is definitely a specific RPM and gearing range that sets it off. I have heard the petrol versions do not have this problem.
I have the petrol version and no vibrations at all. I have a loan diesel version whilst my vehicle is in for a repair and can detect a vibration around the 1800- 2000rpm range when going at a constant speed.

Telliottaus

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I would suggest having a look at the heat shield on the RHS of the engine bay running from the firewall to the front of the vehicle past the aircleaner. The mount at the front of mine had pulled through.

Darby

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
One of these two pipes are rattling for me! I have confirmed by putting pressure against one when the rattle occurs, and it ceases. Do you know if there is an easy way to access these pipes to tighten their fittings or is it a dealer job? (I wont be able to get to a dealer for a few weeks as I am rural). Thanks.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Are there any new findings on the vibrations?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Can you tell which post this was (link?)

RHD (yours) and LHD (mine) version probably differ in that area, and it's anyway hard to imagine just by words.

So a photograph would help a lot. 🙏

Back
Top Bottom