The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Using the NATO socket to power equipment - This is how it works.

nodric

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:42 AM
Reaction score
Just a quick post to help anyone that comes searching. This is how the NATO socket works. There are a lot of musing and threads about how to hack the hoops needed, but I found it easy for my purpose. To attached an external ARB compressor.

1. Engine running.
2. Flip the 500 amp switch in the roof to on.
3. Apply the parking brake unless you like rolling vehicles.
4. Put the transmission in neutral. The last step is the on/off for the socket. The reason? It's meant for a winch and Ineos won't let you operate a winch in park.

This is what I am using the socket for.

A. I picked up a NATO plug from Agile Offroad here - Link and used it to connect my ARB portable compressor to the NATO outlet.

B. The NATO plug is a PITA to fit. The terminals are solder type and need a LOT of heat and a LOT of solder to flood them and secure the wires. It is also a PITA to reassemble, but patience and some skill and you'll achieve it.

C. The ARB kit was TWIN MOTOR PORTABLE 12V AIR COMPRESSOR CKMTP12 - Link here.

D. I also picked up a spare harness for it so I didn't have to butcher the supplied harness with battery clamps as this means I still have that option for pother vehicles or situations. Spare harness is this but ARB are out of stock so I did evilBay. Amazon Link Here.

Why didn't I go for the Agile Offroad under rear seat hard installed system? I decided to have the flexibility of multi-vehicle use, as well as the kit I got has dual motors and a mini tank so faster inflation. I also ride dual sport bikes so wanted chance vehicle flexibility.

Some random pics took while soldering leads. Gripped the terminals one at a time in a vise grip plier as a heat shunt and to keep it steady. Used a gas soldering iron (needs a LOT OF HEAT) but a Weller gun would work. Flowed solder for a good 5 mins into the connector. With better soldering equipment (I normal do small electronics) you will flow the solder faster.

If I got anything wrong I am sure others will add helpful hints 😁

Attachments

• IMG_3359.jpg
    IMG_3359.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3360.jpg
    IMG_3360.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3361.jpg
    IMG_3361.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 67

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:42 PM
Reaction score
Nice write up @nodric. That is exactly the same use case I use the NATO for.

In my case I made a NATO plug to 50amp Anderson plug adaptor and converted the lead on my old Thomas Blue Tongue compressor to an Anderson plug. If I need to connect the pump directly to the battery I use an Anderson battery clamp adaptor.

Cheers
Steve

nodric

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Soldering the sockets is easy if you secure the terminals in a vice and use a small gas torch. I use my wife's creme brulee torch.
Oh and make sure you have plenty of solder!
I almost used a torch, but my gas soldering iron (roadside repairs and can't be bothered to faff with an electric iron) gets way too hot turned up high, so it sufficed, but anyone else should use a gas torch and thick solder. I was using electronics solder and my and couldn't feed it fast enough. But got there in the end 🤪

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:42 PM
Reaction score
I almost used a torch, but my gas soldering iron (roadside repairs and can't be bothered to faff with an electric iron) gets way too hot turned up high, so it sufficed, but anyone else should use a gas torch and thick solder. I was using electronics solder and my and couldn't feed it fast enough. But got there in the end 🤪
My method is to create rolls of thin solder around a chopstick, squish and drop as much as I can into the socket, boil it with the little torch and carefully pop the fluxed .cable in. Then carefully file off any "candle gutterings".
In a steel vice, not a wooden one!

nodric

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Nice write up @nodric. That is exactly the same use case I use the NATO for.

In my case I made a NATO plug to 50amp Anderson plug adaptor and converted the lead on my old Thomas Blue Tongue compressor to an Anderson plug. If I need to connect the pump directly to the battery I use an Anderson battery clamp adaptor.

Cheers
Steve

Wait a minute! You cannot winch in Park? That is insane! You are always in Park when winching someone else. That will need a fix.
Software update coming 😂

Local time
11:42 AM
Reaction score
Hi all put it in car wash mode and the winch and NATO plug work.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:42 AM
Reaction score
My method is to create rolls of thin solder around a chopstick, squish and drop as much as I can into the socket, boil it with the little torch and carefully pop the fluxed .cable in. Then carefully file off any "candle gutterings".
In a steel vice, not a wooden one!
I have also been know to set the wire in a stranded section of wire-appropriate-for-the-socket, before soldering.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:42 AM
Reaction score
Wait a minute! You cannot winch in Park? That is insane! You are always in Park when winching someone else. That will need a fix.
You should 100% absolutely NEVER be in park to winch. Be in reverse or drive with your foot on the brake. Being up against the parking pall is a recipe for disaster; not to mention it gives you no escape route incase things start going s(l)ideways

nodric

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
You should 100% absolutely NEVER be in park to winch. Be in reverse or drive with your foot on the brake. Being up against the parking pall is a recipe for disaster; not to mention it gives you no escape route incase things start going s(l)ideways
I might be wrong but I think @Mountain4x4 was joking and/or being sarcastic 😉 But good advice for the untrained.

Reactions: Max

parb

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
3:42 AM
Reaction score
Thanks for the write-up with links. Truly nice of you to take the time to do that -very helpful!

I too want to use the nato plug for an air compressor. I don't love the idea that I have to be in neutral for the plug to work to air up tires. Can you put on the parking brake at least without losing power to the plug?

Local time
11:42 AM
Reaction score
OK I am being dim. What is car wash mode on the Grenadier? Neutral tends to work in Texas for car washes? 🧐
Its in the manual page 84
Car Wash Function

The process below puts the vehicle into a state for safe rolling.

1. Put the transmission into N while pushing the brake

pedal.

2. Stop the engine.

3. Immediately turn on the ignition without starting the

engine.

4. Now "car wash function" is engaged and the vehicle can

be pushed.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:42 PM
Reaction score
A small tip regarding the NATO connector.

If you haven't used it yet, you should unscrew it once to see if the thread is corroded.
That was the case with mine. I then needed a water pipe wrench...
A little grease on the thread can't hurt in any case.

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:42 PM
Reaction score
Thanks for the write-up with links. Truly nice of you to take the time to do that -very helpful!

I too want to use the nato plug for an air compressor. I don't love the idea that I have to be in neutral for the plug to work to air up tires. Can you put on the parking brake at least without losing power to the plug?
No problems at all with using the park brake. That’s what I do.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom