The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

US Fuel Recommendation

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:45 PM
Reaction score
Here it is

Attachments

• PXL_20231007_171801750.jpg
    PXL_20231007_171801750.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 65

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:45 AM
Reaction score
In petrol vehicles i usually run 95 as a minimum and 98 if the vehicle is designed to take it.
In diesel vehicles i usually run premium diesel not truck diesel.
1696700729704.png

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
In petrol vehicles i usually run 95 as a minimum and 98 if the vehicle is designed to take it.
In diesel vehicles i usually run premium diesel not truck diesel.
View attachment 7829016
In US translation, he usually runs 91 octane and 93 if the vehicle is designed for it.

For diesel vehicles, he uses diesel.

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:45 PM
Reaction score
Top tier, off the top of my head: (I've seen the signs on their pumps)
Chevron / Texaco
Exxon / Mobil
Shell
Costco (yes, they are.)
QT believe it or not. Cheap $ and top tier.

Probably other old school gas companies, Sunoco, 76, other brands we don't have in Arizona I can't think of.

If in doubt, carry a bottle of Techron or your favorite fuel additive and add it to whatever crap gas you can get. I've done it for years and never had fuel related issues with any car I've owned. That said, I haven't added anything to my tank in a while, but I quit buying grocery store gas and started buying top tier gas almost every fill-up.

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
In US translation, he usually runs 91 octane and 93 if the vehicle is designed for it.

For diesel vehicles, he uses diesel.
Can only find higher than 91 AKI gas here at a very few stations, and then, it's "racing fuel". I know of one station that sells pure gas @ 100 octane. Mixed some into my E60 M5 once or twice and it really livened it up! I think I got it to 95 (US) octane with that fill-up. I had an aftermarket tune.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’ve run Sunoco 93 for years in every vehicle I’ve owned that requires premium. Going back far enough actually that I ran 94 when they used to sell it. I’ll probably continue doing that.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:45 AM
Reaction score
Keep in mind US use a different fuel rating system than the rest of the world (surprise surprise) 1696704541634.png
Premium diesel is Australia just has an additive to help keep injectors and fuel systems clean.
In colder area's the premium diesel also has a lower freezing point additive so the diesel doesn't start to turn to gel in your tank.
Australian spec Grenadiers also come with an additional fuel filter and a diesel water separator in case you are getting fuel from remote locations

mlagren23

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I've driven vehicles hundreds of thousands of miles primarily on Costco fuel, including BMWs. I guess I didn't care about my engines. There are a lot of old wives' tales out there based upon nebulous marketing, with few facts to back them up. More or different additives do not necessarily equal better or necessary for an engine.
Typically all the gas stations in most locations comes thru the same pipeline is stored in the local tank farm and picked up by tanker trucks and hauled to each gas station regardless of the brand. Only the additives are different or not used.

shiv.nandak

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I've had multiple Bmw's and would suggest only 91+ fuel. The engine becomes sluggish and not fun to drive. Also, i've had predetonation once with what i assume is bad gas. So i think there is only so much it can compensate. The engines are so complicated these days with the extra emissions/fuel efficiency requirements - it's better not to add another point of failure. Costco gas is relatively cheap and pretty good.

Local time
Reaction score
I've had multiple BMWs and used whatever fuel grade was recommended. With no fuel-related performance issues. But, if everybody knows better than the manufacturer, run with it. ;)

Jiman01

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I wouldn't put fuel with ethanol in it into any engine, unless the fuel lines and fittings have been designed for it.
In the US ethanol blended gas, typically 10%, is pretty much the standard. It‘s not as common to find non-ethanol gas. I happen to live by a station now that’s sells both but I don’t know if the lack of ethanol in the 87 adds benefits that offsets the higher 91 octane of the ethanol blended gas. Interestingly, the non-ethanol 87 sells for a premium grade price per/gal. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
In the US ethanol blended gas, typically 10%, is pretty much the standard. It‘s not as common to find non-ethanol gas. I happen to live by a station now that’s sells both but I don’t know if the lack of ethanol in the 87 adds benefits that offsets the higher 91 octane of the ethanol blended gas. Interestingly, the non-ethanol 87 sells for a premium grade price per/gal. 🤷🏻‍♂️
This is true in New Jersey. Not a big deal for modern vehicles, but all my non-automotive small engines I run on Avgas - clean and pure.

Last edited:

255/85

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Interestingly, the non-ethanol 87 sells for a premium grade price per/gal. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I believe it's the government subsidies for ag-based fuels that makes ethanol cheaper than fossil fuels. Also, with diesel around here the higher percentage of biodiesel in the mix the cheaper the price. You're paying for it in taxes.

Local time
Reaction score
I believe it's the government subsidies for ag-based fuels that makes ethanol cheaper than fossil fuels. Also, with diesel around here the higher percentage of biodiesel in the mix the cheaper the price. You're paying for it in taxes.
Supply and demand. Not many non-ethanol stations, so they can charge a premium. (Maybe the wholesaler does as well.) High demand for small engines (lawnmowers, etc.)

Here's a website with "pure gas" stations: https://www.pure-gas.org/

Local time
Reaction score
I generally consider any gasoline that's "blended with ethanol" to be contaminated and not fit for consumption in my vehicles unless the engines have been rebuilt for use with such fuel. That said I've rebuild most of my vintage BMW engines to at least take advantage of it by bumping their compression and adjusting cam timing to better match the high compression pistons. In the Grenadier I'll likely just use whatever they recommend since it's been engineered since this fuel contamination became standard.

Back
Top Bottom