The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

UHF and VHF

RTG

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:33 AM
Reaction score
Has anybody had any thoughts on where the cabling for UHF/VHF radio may track?. Power to radios probably not an issue, however getting the coax cable from the radio to the aerial on the roof, bumper rear or front could require some neat thinking.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This is pure speculation:
From the brochure: 
Tailor yours any way you need to with 10- or 25-Amp pre-wiring built in to easily add beacons, blue-lights, sirens, searchlights, and
other exterior lighting. All switchable from the Overhead Control Panel.

I'm not sure whether this is only for the heavy duty version of the Overhead Control Panel or standard fit. If it's the latter, then it implies an access hole (perhaps a cable gland) incorporated in the roof for cable transit, including I presume a coaxial cable for UHF/VHF.

I'm also wondering about the ease of running a cable from the windscreen to the back door for 2-channel dashcam

Ovrland Bill

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:33 PM
Reaction score
I believe that the outlets for ‘roof power’ will be in the same recess as the tie-down rails. If antenna coax can follow the same path then, perhaps, those rails might serve as mounting locations for aerials (albeit off-center).

Local time
7:33 PM
Reaction score
Has anybody had any thoughts on where the cabling for UHF/VHF radio may track?. Power to radios probably not an issue, however getting the coax cable from the radio to the aerial on the roof, bumper rear or front could require some neat thinking.
I am interested in this as well, as I will be running both GRMS and HAM in this truck.

OGrid

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I noticed earlier an IG in the “Goodwood Revival 16th - 18th September” post that had an aerial mounted up top at the front of the roof rack.

Could just be for show and not cabled though. Maybe those who attended might know?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:33 AM
Reaction score
Can't answer for the Goodwood vehicle but the tie down recess roof panel looks to be a removable plastic insert with a rear lip seal.

first-contact-we-got-hands-on-with-the-ineos-grenadier-p1-and-p2_64.jpg
Screenshot_20220121_134520.jpg

So if should be possible to drill and grommet for a waterproof through connection.

It's just a shame that the panel is concave and so doesn't seem to offer a flat surface for some of the other types of waterproof through connectors.

Screenshot_20220930_071237.jpg

OGrid

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Can't answer for the Goodwood vehicle but the tie down recess roof panel looks to be a removable plastic insert with a rear lip seal.

So if should be possible to drill and grommet for a waterproof through connection.

It's just a shame that the panel is concave and so doesn't seem to offer a flat surface for some of the other types of waterproof through connectors.

Great suggestion, thx

Wile E Coyote

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:33 AM
Reaction score
I'm planning on fitting this UHF radio with the base unit hidden behind the overhead switch panel so just the mic hangs down and clips on the panel.
It should be just a short coax run to the roof rack hopefully through the electrical roof socket run.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:33 AM
Reaction score
Is the mic hardwired to the unit?

Wile E Coyote

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:33 AM
Reaction score
Is the mic hardwired to the unit?
Yes DCPU it is. It should be easy enough to make a hole with a grommet at the side of the overhead panel for the wire to come through.
As far as I'm aware they don't make wireless ones. That would be cool though.

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Yes DCPU it is. It should be easy enough to make a hole with a grommet at the side of the overhead panel for the wire to come through.
As far as I'm aware they don't make wireless ones. That would be cool though.
Maybe mount a socket in the panel so you could remove the microphone when not needed.76DB9A54-368E-4EFC-9B46-18BFE1144381.png

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hey Michael, neat idea. I would have to check if all the controls would work through a standard socket, or if Uniden made one specific to this unit.
I expect that‘s the case. The GME equivalent has a generic pass-through available (they also offer versions that install directly into switch blanks on popular models).

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing what grommets there are in the firewall, tried to look at the Drive day, but pretty hard to see/get at the firewall from the engine bay pretty crowded in there. I intend to mount the aerial on the roo bar and put a hidden radio somewhere behind the dash with a jack for microphone somewhere. Need to get in and have a good look around to see where it will all work.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:33 PM
Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing what grommets there are in the firewall, tried to look at the Drive day, but pretty hard to see/get at the firewall from the engine bay pretty crowded in there. I intend to mount the aerial on the roo bar and put a hidden radio somewhere behind the dash with a jack for microphone somewhere. Need to get in and have a good look around to see where it will all work.
Why not go through the roof? You figure they have an existing tube you can piggyback off of.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Why not go through the roof? You figure they have an existing tube you can piggyback off of.
Not a fan of dangling mic cords from the roof etc, I know some like them up there but it’s not for me, also not 100% sure there is soace up there for the hidden unit either and I definitely don’t want to be running aeriel cable down A pillars etc. Also I don’t like the aerial on the roof, it gets a bit better reception but you have to remember to knock it down going into carparks and it’s more vulnerable to trees etc on bush tracks. Just overall works better for me with the unit behind the dash, and the aerial on the bar.

Will be interesting to see if there is some kind of channel up there, but it may just be the wiring harness laid out and wired up before the headliner goes in, in which case it wouldn’t be just a matter of feeding a cable through, it would be a much bigger job.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not a fan of dangling mic cords from the roof etc, I know some like them up there but it’s not for me, also not 100% sure there is soace up there for the hidden unit either and I definitely don’t want to be running aeriel cable down A pillars etc. Also I don’t like the aerial on the roof, it gets a bit better reception but you have to remember to knock it down going into carparks and it’s more vulnerable to trees etc on bush tracks. Just overall works better for me with the unit behind the dash, and the aerial on the bar.

Will be interesting to see if there is some kind of channel up there, but it may just be the wiring harness laid out and wired up before the headliner goes in, in which case it wouldn’t be just a matter of feeding a cable through, it would be a much bigger job.
Even out bush, it's much easier to check that your bull bar-mounted rigid radome antenna will clear the scrub than monitoring the clearance of a roof-mounted antenna under overhanging branches.
Latter I think less of an issue with whip aerials but these are somewhat less popular in Oz. GME has a sizeable chunk of the market just with it's dual antenna kit.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Even out bush, it's much easier to check that your bull bar-mounted rigid radome antenna will clear the scrub than monitoring the clearance of a roof-mounted antenna under overhanging branches.
Latter I think less of an issue with whip aerials but these are somewhat less popular in Oz. GME has a sizeable chunk of the market just with it's dual antenna kit.
I have a GME unit, but not dual antenna, I have both those antennas but just swap them out according to needs. Everyday and in hilly country I have the smaller 2.1SDb on, but if doing open country or deser etc I put the taller 6.6Db on.

Back
Top Bottom