The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Towing With The Grenadier

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:42 PM
Reaction score
Kimberley Touring Western Australia

I have just returned from a trip to the Kimberley region of Western Australia in my diesel Grenadier Trialmaster, towing a 16ft hybrid pop-top off road caravan (tare weight 2000kg, loaded weight about 2400kg, tow ball weight approx 230kg).

Covered 8500km in 31 days: Perth to Kununurra (for the Ord River Muster) via Meekatharra, Newman, Port Hedland, 80 Mile Beach, Fitzroy Crossing and Halls Creek. A few days at Lake Argyle then back to El Questro Station (off the Gibb River Road) to Mt Hart Station via Halls Creek and Fitzroy Crossing (Gibb River Rd direct to Mt Hart from the north east was closed due to high water at the Pentecost River crossing), Derby, Dampier Peninsula/Cape Leveque (for 3 days), back to the Great Northern Highway (via Marble Bar) and home to Perth.

I was very nervous before I set out: no Ineos service centres in WA other than Perth and no spares north of Perth.

The Grenadier never missed a beat, fantastic to drive over long distances (even when towing), 6 – 8 hours at the wheel most days, comfortable Recaro seats. Brilliant performance on the roads, both corrugated dirt and bitumen, plenty of power for overtaking 60 meter road trains (even uphill) and reasonable fuel consumption (overall average for the 8500km was 15.3 L/100km and about 80% of the total distance was towing). The right hand drive, left foot hump is a total non-issue for me…… don’t even notice it.

14.5 to 16.0 L/100km towing with a tailwind and 16.0 to 17.8 into a headwind or in hilly terrain (according to the average fuel consumption on the info system). The vehicle with caravan sits happily in 8th gear at 1600rpm, handles gentle uphill slopes without a downshift and only drops into 7th (or occasionally 6th gear) on the steeper hills. I usually sat on 90 - 95km/hr into the wind and 95 – 100km/hr downwind. Fuel consumption rises rapidly above 100km/hr when towing, especially into the wind.

This is the best and most capable long distance touring vehicle I have ever driven. It handled beach sand, rough corrugated dirt roads, flooded creek crossings, rough rocky terrain and slippery muddy tracks with ease (while towing). I engaged low gear and the central locker (plus wading mode) fairly often, but never looked like needing the rear or front axle lockers.

My caravan is two wheel with independent trailing arm suspension,12 inch electric drum brakes and 265/75/R16 mud terrain tyres on alloy rims (I carry two spares). A Redarc Tow-Pro Elite electronic brake controller is fitted to the Trialmaster.

Cheers
Wombat51
That’s very re-assuring, I have done some long trips in mine and a fair bit of towing, but nowhere remote as yet. How deep was the deepest water you crossed?

Reactions: PBD
Local time
6:42 AM
Reaction score
Sorry about delayed response, just noticed your question.

Depth of deepest water crossing was approx 550-600 mm.........water just seeped into door step depression on caravan . But no issues for the Grenadier.

Wombat51

Local time
8:42 AM
Reaction score
Kimberley Touring Western Australia

I have just returned from a trip to the Kimberley region of Western Australia in my diesel Grenadier Trialmaster, towing a 16ft hybrid pop-top off road caravan (tare weight 2000kg, loaded weight about 2400kg, tow ball weight approx 230kg).

Covered 8500km in 31 days: Perth to Kununurra (for the Ord River Muster) via Meekatharra, Newman, Port Hedland, 80 Mile Beach, Fitzroy Crossing and Halls Creek. A few days at Lake Argyle then back to El Questro Station (off the Gibb River Road) to Mt Hart Station via Halls Creek and Fitzroy Crossing (Gibb River Rd direct to Mt Hart from the north east was closed due to high water at the Pentecost River crossing), Derby, Dampier Peninsula/Cape Leveque (for 3 days), back to the Great Northern Highway (via Marble Bar) and home to Perth.

I was very nervous before I set out: no Ineos service centres in WA other than Perth and no spares north of Perth.

The Grenadier never missed a beat, fantastic to drive over long distances (even when towing), 6 – 8 hours at the wheel most days, comfortable Recaro seats. Brilliant performance on the roads, both corrugated dirt and bitumen, plenty of power for overtaking 60 meter road trains (even uphill) and reasonable fuel consumption (overall average for the 8500km was 15.3 L/100km and about 80% of the total distance was towing). The right hand drive, left foot hump is a total non-issue for me…… don’t even notice it.

14.5 to 16.0 L/100km towing with a tailwind and 16.0 to 17.8 into a headwind or in hilly terrain (according to the average fuel consumption on the info system). The vehicle with caravan sits happily in 8th gear at 1600rpm, handles gentle uphill slopes without a downshift and only drops into 7th (or occasionally 6th gear) on the steeper hills. I usually sat on 90 - 95km/hr into the wind and 95 – 100km/hr downwind. Fuel consumption rises rapidly above 100km/hr when towing, especially into the wind.

This is the best and most capable long distance touring vehicle I have ever driven. It handled beach sand, rough corrugated dirt roads, flooded creek crossings, rough rocky terrain and slippery muddy tracks with ease (while towing). I engaged low gear and the central locker (plus wading mode) fairly often, but never looked like needing the rear or front axle lockers.

My caravan is two wheel with independent trailing arm suspension,12 inch electric drum brakes and 265/75/R16 mud terrain tyres on alloy rims (I carry two spares). A Redarc Tow-Pro Elite electronic brake controller is fitted to the Trialmaster.

Cheers
Wombat51
thanks Wombat. My Grenadier is going into the auto elec this week to get the Redarc Tow-Pro. where did you decide to put the control button? I haven't figured what to do about that.

Local time
6:42 AM
Reaction score
See attached photo. The control button is located RHS of steering wheel as you can see, easy access if you are right handed. The actual Redarc brake control unit is located on the top inside edge of the trim panel below (blue marking). Brake signal from RHS rear trailer wiring is routed along the floor sill and up through the kick panel to the right and below the control button (next to the accelerator pedal). Positive power (when ignition turned on) comes from one of the spare fuse positions in the central fuse box under rear seat (also routed across the rear electrical compartment under the rear seat and along the RHS floor sill). There is a negative/earth bolt/nut somewhere behind the pedals I used for ground.

redarc control button.jpg

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
thanks Wombat. My Grenadier is going into the auto elec this week to get the Redarc Tow-Pro. where did you decide to put the control button? I haven't figured what to do about that.
Another option is to put the Redarc controller in the same place, but mount it on a Lightforce switch panel, giving you extra options (if needed). More information here, with part numbers.
full

Andrew Kilby

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
See attached photo. The control button is located RHS of steering wheel as you can see, easy access if you are right handed. The actual Redarc brake control unit is located on the top inside edge of the trim panel below (blue marking). Brake signal from RHS rear trailer wiring is routed along the floor sill and up through the kick panel to the right and below the control button (next to the accelerator pedal). Positive power (when ignition turned on) comes from one of the spare fuse positions in the central fuse box under rear seat (also routed across the rear electrical compartment under the rear seat and along the RHS floor sill). There is a negative/earth bolt/nut somewhere behind the pedals I used for ground.

View attachment 7862640
Do you have any problems with trailer lamp warning alarms when no trailer is connected? I do occasionally, but particularly immediately after a trailer is disconnected.

pandawest

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:42 PM
Reaction score
I want to install a Redarc brake controller on my Gren, installed one on my Defender and my wife's Range Rover and they work great. Which model of Redarc are you all using and which wiring harness did you use? Redarc website doesn't list the Ineos Grenadier yet. Thanks.

Bradysdad

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:42 PM
Reaction score
Just a note to always keep a hitch extender handy when towing. I originally hooked up this trailer without an extender but the spare tire was only an inch or so from the tongue jack controller. I had to add the hitch extension and a few links of chain. I towed the camper - Airstream Basecamp @ 1700 lbs - for approx 100 miles. I hardly knew it was there.
View attachment 7849503
Nice! What did you do for brake controller and overall 7 Pin wiring harness?

Back
Top Bottom