The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

This was a win (e brake console storage)

Michael_in_Baja

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:42 PM
Reaction score
I was looking around at what is available and becoming available for the Grenadier and mildly shocked at what the aftermarket is asking for accessories and found wildly different costs for like items, especially from offshore.

Parts that should have a 20x markup from cost to manufacture are being offered for 100x cost. I get it, we are fresh new meat. Something I saw that I really wanted was a storage spot in front of the parking brake. Prices I've seen range from $60 to $120 US for what might be a $25 accessory.

I found this one on Amazon and it looked like it might be worth the gamble despite my love-hate/hate relationship with the behemoth. It was $65 and the texture and fit is everything I could hope for.

Attachments

• 20240912_184011.jpg
    20240912_184011.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 129

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:42 PM
Reaction score
I have one of those and my phone doesn't fit. If anyone is looking for one, let me know before you order it elsewhere.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:42 AM
Reaction score
I was looking around at what is available and becoming available for the Grenadier and mildly shocked at what the aftermarket is asking for accessories and found wildly different costs for like items, especially from offshore.

Parts that should have a 20x markup from cost to manufacture are being offered for 100x cost. I get it, we are fresh new meat. Something I saw that I really wanted was a storage spot in front of the parking brake. Prices I've seen range from $60 to $120 US for what might be a $25 accessory.

I found this one on Amazon and it looked like it might be worth the gamble despite my love-hate/hate relationship with the behemoth. It was $65 and the texture and fit is everything I could hope for.

Generally manufacturers don't determine their sell prices based on markup.
Or at least they don't unless they want to go broke.
When planning a new product you .....
  • determine the highest price it could possibly sell for retail(tax included)
  • what discount you need to give to any resellers or distributors if applicable (tax not included).
  • Identify the cost to design, develop, certify, patent or license the product.
  • Cost to manufacture, package ship and market the product.
  • Future warranty costs
  • Once you have all of this you then calculate what your Gross Margin % and Gross Profit $ will be per unit.
  • Typically this would be 40-80%
  • Then you can decide on a go or no go.
Markup is not a term or practice which is generally used, at least here in Australia.
Gross Margin or Gross Profit is a measure of how much of the sell price is profit. Which is the important part.

Prices vary a lot due to many factories in China for example just copying someone elses product and then offering no warranty, support, local stock or shopfronts.
We promote heavily that our product is made in Australia but we still have complete copies sold online for half the price. Because they have less than half of the costs.
1726263947313.png

Coullabus

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
1:42 AM
Reaction score

Ouch! Looked at this on your post, initial thought 'yep. that would be useful'. Amazon UK around £65. Thought recomputed and reconfigured to: 'stuff that for a game off soldiers'.

Michael_in_Baja

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:42 PM
Reaction score
I'm not sure how many accessories you've purchased from your dealership but I promise you we are fresh meat. The aftermarket has this confused with a luxury vehicle and is following suit.

It’s not that the aftermarket thinks it’s a luxury vehicle, they think we are luxury owners with deep pockets based on what we paid for the vehicle. 😉
I guess we could have spent similar money on a Ford or Toyota when the dealer mark up is included. 🤣

Back
Top Bottom