The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

The factory service intervals seem crazy to me

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:46 AM
Reaction score
When did it change from 15,000km to 20,000km?
Yes, not sure. The 20,000km standard is quoted from Ineos HQ. Maybe they decided that 15,000 was a prudent interval for Oz? Would make sense as in all likelihood a vehicle exceeding 15,000kms per annum in Oz is heading out back.

I’ll ask next time around.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:46 PM
Reaction score
I’m curious about everyone’s opinion on here about the factory service intervals. 12,000 miles seems like a LONG time to me to be running the same oil - synthetic or not. On the flip side calling for differential services at 12,000 miles seems out there as well! The conspiracy side of me says this is a marketing thing to work around the lack of a dealer network in regards to the engine oil changes.

I’m curious to anyone’s opinions. Has anyone on here completed a Blackstone oil sample analysis at the first 12,000 service?
Welcome to Euro service intervals, our Sprinter has 20,000 mile intervals, and no issues there (y).

Local time
12:46 AM
Reaction score
A common explanation I have had from multiple engine OEM product support reps and supported with TSBs over the years about oil change intervals. Standard oil change intervals for engines are based on the average vehicle use by all consumers in each region and the manufactures expected component life expectancy, oil type and the duty cycles of the vehicle before scrapping or component life before major overhaul. Engine manufactures work to an industry standard B10 B50 engine life for each application. The B50 life of the BMW engine tuned for an Ineos may hypothetically be 300000km, meaning 50% of all the engines made will require major repairs, overhaul or replacement by 300k km. Oil sampling and analysis trends are about the only way to tell if the oil surviving between services.

The first diff oil change being at 12000 miles will be due to the manufacturing process of the side pinion gears and thrust washers within the differential. These gears are likely to be forged and have a rougher surface finish compared to traditionally made gears. Forged gears are used because they are apparently stronger, but one of the main reasons is that there is a number of final machining and grinding steps that are no longer required to produce a finished gear thus reducing costs. When the first oil change is done the oil will have suspended fine metal and grey sludge through it and this should reduce with use and future oil changes.

PA292993.JPG PA303184.JPG
Left. Forged differential side pinion gears. Right. Machined and ground differential side pinion gears

There is more to this sludging then 10000mile services. Looks like what happens when the wrong oil is used or an engine has majority short engine run cycles, high no load idle times and rarely gets to operating temperature for long enough, severe duty operation which require shorter oil change intervals.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:46 AM
Reaction score
That's odd about you having 20000k for your diesel service interval. My documentation and other documentation for my Australian diesel has the interval of 12 months or 15,000 whichever comes first. 15,000 is also what our agent understands to be the case
This is correct. And at 15K my oil change looked like it was new when bled out...

Back
Top Bottom