The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Tenting in the Gren - not a RTT

Jackattack13

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:12 AM
Reaction score
The best ground tent that I have ever owned that I used for overland expeditions was the OzTent. You can stand up in it. It is large enough to stretch out a bit, has tons of accessories, is durable. And best yet, sets up in about 5 minutes.

https://oztent.com/

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:12 AM
Reaction score
The best ground tent that I have ever owned that I used for overland expeditions was the OzTent. You can stand up in it. It is large enough to stretch out a bit, has tons of accessories, is durable. And best yet, sets up in about 5 minutes.

https://oztent.com/
I like them but very long when packed so has to go on the roof of a Grenadier.

Jackattack13

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I like them but very long when packed so has to go on the roof of a Grenadier.
True. They are massive when packed up. Hard to find a good balance with ground tents. Either light weight hiking, cheapo Coleman style, or giant Expedition Grade. I am using RTT now and a sleeping platform in my 100 Series now.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:12 AM
Reaction score
Agreed everything is a compromise 👍🏼

mes

Local time
Reaction score
After trying everything on the market. I settled with a Seek Outside Redcliff Light with the full nest. It packs small. Fits my family of 4 easily. Can be used without the nest if needed. And you forget that it's even in the trunk. Oztent was great, but too large and heavy when stored.

LeftCoastOverland

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:12 PM
Reaction score
- I can’t quite figure out the popularity of the swag. Feature-wise they seem way to hot and claustrophobic. 🤷‍♂️
Being an American transplant in Oz, I can assure you I’ve drank the Kool-aid and am now a believer.

Having spent a good part of my life in backpacking tents of all shapes and sizes, dome tents, even those big bastards they sell at Costco. Everything like any tool has a purpose, but a swag’s simplicity is its strongest feature. For car camping at least. And for those who don’t mind simple.

I’ve gotten myself an ARB double skydome. Which is certainly bulky. It fits on my roof rack, or takes up the entire back seat of the Ineos. It’s also not the lightest belle at the ball…
But!
It sure is comfy. The biggest contributing factor being the 6” thick foam mattress that’s integrated into the package. So no sliding off your matt in the middle of the night. It’s the entire floor of the swag.
Also being constructed of canvas it’s robust, And water proof. When I got mine the directions insisted on douching it with a hose to season the canvas, Which I did. I gave the swag an equivalent deluge of a cat 5 hurricane. Dry as a bone inside.
No rain fly to flop around making noise in the wind either. It’s just the skin of the swag.

Lastly the ease of setup. Literally 3x 1/2 hoop spring poles, and 2 straight ones. It’s together and sleepable in 5 min or less. And easy to do in the dark, wet, cold numb fingers etc.

The cost was ridiculous. $800Aud… but I imagine it will outlast me as long as I take care of it. And if not ARB has a good return policy.

Hot? Maybe. But what tent isn’t in a hot climate?
Claustrophobic? Likely. But again. What tent isn’t?

Comfortable, robust, simple, and functional? Absolutely!
YMMV 😛

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:12 PM
Reaction score
Keeping it simple... for now...

1721380757975.jpeg

ErnieB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:12 AM
Reaction score
As someone who came from a built out Jeep with an AluCab 3R roof top tent (A GREAT tent for those who plan on spending multiple days a season camping), I am going a different direction with the Grenadier. Seeing as how the center of gravity is quite a bit higher than the Jeep, I am going to opt to build out the interior to sleep inside with my pup. I haven't decided how I'm going to do this (Goosegear platform, Buzz Overland platform). I also need to address some of the lack of storage issues as well as mount a fridge. I am going to supplement that with some type of ground tent or swag that is quick to set up and tear down. The rooftop tent, especially the AluCab products, are quick to set up and tear down if you want to move and get out on the trail with your friends. Lots to think about. Brian from Goosegear will be here in SLC on Wednesday for the Equipt open house. He has a new generation of storage platform that I'd like to look at.

jesmor3

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:12 AM
Reaction score
As someone who came from a built out Jeep with an AluCab 3R roof top tent (A GREAT tent for those who plan on spending multiple days a season camping), I am going a different direction with the Grenadier. Seeing as how the center of gravity is quite a bit higher than the Jeep, I am going to opt to build out the interior to sleep inside with my pup. I haven't decided how I'm going to do this (Goosegear platform, Buzz Overland platform). I also need to address some of the lack of storage issues as well as mount a fridge. I am going to supplement that with some type of ground tent or swag that is quick to set up and tear down. The rooftop tent, especially the AluCab products, are quick to set up and tear down if you want to move and get out on the trail with your friends. Lots to think about. Brian from Goosegear will be here in SLC on Wednesday for the Equipt open house. He has a new generation of storage platform that I'd like to look at.
Did I miss the goose gear visit?! Did you get any details or photos? :)

Back
Top Bottom