The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Taking the Front Wheels Off

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:07 AM
Reaction score
I join in the compliments for the work (y)

I honestly expected a more accurate general assembly.
In these conditions, if nothing is done, I don't think you would travel many km before having problems with damaged pipes or peeled wires... on a €80,000 vehicle, that's not acceptable.

then I would have expected a front axle with constant velocity joints in oil bath. land style.
these dry double u-joints cannot be greased. how will they resist tarnishing and rusting considering they will pick up a lot of mud?
How far can the steering end stop be changed before they suffer? on my land I had them adjusted to have a little more steering.

also the wheel bearings in this way will never receive a little oil.

All steering heads are also non-greasable.

I'm also dubious about the placement of the radiators. the central seems to me very low and very exposed to impacts compared to the old defender.
as well as the two lateral ones.

Is it possible then that the anterior bumper is made up only of plastic and that thin sheet inside that supports the side radiators?

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
thanks!

so you get notified when they need to be replaced?

... how much useless technology....

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:07 AM
Reaction score
thanks!

so you get notified when they need to be replaced?

... how much useless technology....
Expect if it is like L/R it is only on the outer(?) pad and the inner wears at a faster rate, and then I knacker the disc as well. And when I argued with L/R the best they would do is supply the parts at cost ☹

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The one on the Grenadier front is located on the inboard pad. I think in theory this should make contact with the disk first, so notionally wear more than the outboard disk.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Is it possible then that the anterior bumper is made up only of plastic and that thin sheet inside that supports the side radiators?
Yes to the plastic, the "thin sheet" is reasonably thick and has rolled edges for strength.

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
another question: how are the axle shaft flanges fixed to the hub? there were 5 screws on the land. nothing can be seen here.

DA1149_2__57531.1573047522.jpg

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:07 PM
Reaction score
An interesting difference between the engine oil cooler having plastic ends crimped on, and the transfer case oil cooler having fully welded metal ends:
Ok, this photo makes zero sense - spring "coolant" clips for an oil cooler ???? That cannot be possible.

<reposted from DCPU' original post>
wp_20230610_14_35_26_pro-jpg.7816163

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
🤔 I think you have a very good point there.

I'll have to look at where those pipes go back to. Any thoughts?

255/85

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
8:07 PM
Reaction score
I believe the B58 uses coolant for all cooling duties. I don't think there is oil circulating to the small right side radiator therefore water pump pressure levels only.

The transfer case radiator looks decent - if that's not the transmission cooler ( as those are pressurized lines). It shouldn't be hard to move it to a safer location and maybe add a fan?

Thank you for the pics.(y)

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:07 PM
Reaction score
Yesterday, I took the cover off the nearside (RHD) oil cooler. I believe this one serves the Tremec transfer case. No fan on this one:

Another view of the radiator hose lower elbow - I hadn't noticed from the other side that it's not located in the clip, and I'm not sure it actually will locate there:
View attachment 7816136
How solid is the front bash plate below the radiator elbow? I can see the ridges providing additional support but hope one of those ridges never gets pushed up onto the elbow.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:07 PM
Reaction score
I am thinking that has to be the charge air cooler for the turbo(s) on the RH side, and then the oil cooler is integrated in to the main radiator? Or, RH is charge air, LH is oil, and t-case integrated into the main radiator?
🤔 I think you have a very good point there.

I'll have to look at where those pipes go back to. Any thoughts?
There has to be a charge air cooler for the turbo(s), correct? And the fittings on the LH cooler look like trans cooler lines. Also, standard practice is to have trans or oil cooling built into the main radiator.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I am thinking that has to be the charge air cooler for the turbo(s) on the RH side, and then the oil cooler is integrated in to the main radiator? Or, RH is charge air, LH is oil, and t-case integrated into the main radiator?

There has to be a charge air cooler for the turbo(s), correct? And the fittings on the LH cooler look like trans cooler lines. Also, standard practice is to have trans or oil cooling built into the main radiator.
Disconnect one and see what pops out ;)

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Can anyone explain why you'd build a platform for the bump stop but have it so far off centre?
View attachment 7815922View attachment 7815923
I'm suggesting it's designed that way. When the springs are compressing /decompressing, bump stop plates are actually travelling through an arc. The rubber bump stop is touching the plate off centre for "normal" suspension travel because the arc is shallow.
At the extremes of articulation the bump stop plate travels upwards in an arc and moves closer "inwards" relative to the fixed position of the compressible rubber stop ... At the limit, the plate will have moved far enough "inwards" so that the centre of the plate is now compressing the rubber stop for maximum force path effect...

Last edited:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
How solid is the front bash plate below the radiator elbow?
I don't know, you'd imagine they must be able to take a fair weight but I've not seen anything written about them like we've been told you can jack off the rock sliders or the fuel tank guard can support thee full weight of the vehicle.
I can see the ridges providing additional support but hope one of those ridges never gets pushed up onto the elbow.
Yes that's the concern.

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
Can anyone explain why you'd build a platform for the bump stop but have it so far off centre?
View attachment 7815922View attachment 7815923
Is the left side in the picture the front? Then it could be because the axle moves on a radius (hold by a radius arms). So when the axle moves up (or down) it will move backwards at the same time. That would move the bump stop more to the center.

AWo

Back
Top Bottom