The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

General Sudden wastegate (?) rattle?

Zacman110

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:42 AM
Reaction score
Hi all, wondering if anyone (maybe with BMW experience) has seen this before. My grenadier has developed a very loud rattle with the engine off and the ignition in “accessory”. It’s worse with the engine cold/cool and doesn’t do it 100% of the time. I’ve had a dig through the B57 (diesel) manual and a bit of a poke around and it looks like the turbo wastegate actuator is jumping back and forth by itself. Again, this is without the engine running - video and photos below. I’ll be taking to the dealer Monday for them to have a look.
IMG_4768.jpeg

Last edited:

AWo

Local time
12:42 AM
Reaction score
Engine is not running? But ignition is on?
I assume it is not a wastegste but a variable turbo geometry VTG, but that doesn't matter...

If the engine is off, ignition on there are two possibilities...

1. That is a dumb actuator which gets its orders from the ECU or
2. It is an intelligent actuator which gets all the sensor data and works independent of the ECU

In the first it could be the ECU or the actuator, in the latter it could be the actuator.

AWo

Zacman110

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:42 AM
Reaction score
I think it’s attached to the turbine bypass valve (which sounds a lot like a waste gate but seems to control the changeover between the two turbos) - the actuator and rod in the picture below. Quite annoying since the car seems to drive ok, but I’ll keep everyone updated.

IMG_4771.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom