The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Solar panel on Rhino rack bars

pedrogb

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:40 AM
Reaction score
Hi all. Has anyone mounted a solar panel on or in between the roof cross bars?
I've seen redarc sells brackets that allows a solar panel to be mounted in between the bars, just below the bar level. This allows the bars to be used (to a certain degree) without harming the panel. It would obviously stop it working if you load on top of it
I don't think these particular brackets would work on the reconn bars due to width but I like the idea of having a panel permanently in place and still being able to use the bars.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240824_191849_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240824_191849_Chrome.jpg
    322.7 KB · Views: 25

pt888

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I've seen redarc sells brackets that allows a solar panel to be mounted in between the bars, just below the bar level. This allows the bars to be used (to a certain degree) without harming the panel. It would obviously stop it working if you load on top of it
I don't think these particular brackets would work on the reconn bars due to width but I like the idea of having a panel permanently in place and still being able to use the bars.
Great idea, I have sent an enquiry to Redarc. Otherwise we might have to look into a design that will work, surely can't be hard (for someone who knows what they are doing)

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You can use L brackets and bolt one side to the solar panel (I drill a whole thru the aluminum frame), and secure the other side to the bars. You could either find some bracket or drill a hole and bolt it to the bar. I just used the slots on my Pioneer platform rather than drilling. I used eye bolts so I can attach tie down straps behind the panel on the roofrack.

Mine is attached to my Rhino Pioneer Platform using this approach. You would need to adjust it for bars.

I attached the solar panel on the Patrol the same way, and that survived a 150-180kph (combined speed) head on collision. It stayed in place and the panel did not even break.

IMG_8874cr-giga.jpg

pedrogb

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks Michael. My latest cunning plan (which cannot fail😂) is to use the side mounts in the Rhino Rack bars, use some of the mounting plates in the side tracks with a through bolt through the side of solar panel. This should allow the panel to be firmly mounted between the bars, and still use the whole surface area. Just got to wiggle the bars to the right width, which is already pretty close. Easier now the awning is off! Will see how it goes. Got to get the right panel I guess.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks Michael. My latest cunning plan (which cannot fail😂) is to use the side mounts in the Rhino Rack bars, use some of the mounting plates in the side tracks with a through bolt through the side of solar panel. This should allow the panel to be firmly mounted between the bars, and still use the whole surface area. Just got to wiggle the bars to the right width, which is already pretty close. Easier now the awning is off! Will see how it goes. Got to get the right panel I guess.
You could mount your solar panel on the underside of the bars and still have space on the topside for stuff.

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:40 AM
Reaction score
As an alternative if you don’t want to drill your bars. Rhino rack do some roof top tent brackets to mount on the side of the Reconn cross bars, kinda L brackets. You can then add T tracks to this and then mount the solar panel on the T tracks.

Local time
10:10 AM
Reaction score
I have 4 factory rhino cross bars, and just cut 4 pieces of aluminium angle, used rhino slide in mounting bolts on the side slots, and mounted the solar panel sideways east west, well below the load height, a couple minute simple job.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:40 PM
Reaction score
I am looking into portable solar panels and the Jackery Brand has a lightweight that is of interest. Reviews talk it up and opinions or first-hand dealings would be appreciated...Just want quality over price. Thanks, Max

Jackery SolarSaga 100​

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am looking into portable solar panels and the Jackery Brand has a lightweight that is of interest. Reviews talk it up and opinions or first-hand dealings would be appreciated...Just want quality over price. Thanks, Max

Jackery SolarSaga 100​

I cannot help with Jackery, but the KickAss 12V 160W Solar Blanket is excellent quality and has very good performance. 160W verse 100W, and heavier than the Jackery. Packs up to a small package and really well made. Also another option with a solar regulator (which I already had).

View: https://youtu.be/veqhUS9vMrg

Reactions: Max

pedrogb

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I put a Hard Korr 170w panel on the roof yesterday, in between the roof bars as discussed above. I ran the cable through one of the roof top dtp outlet grommets, into the car. (It's on the other side)
I need to pull some trim apart to hide the cable next.
I did notice some additional wind noise on the way to work this morning, wondering if the panel would be better between the rear bars. I guess the air coming over the roof from windscreen is buffeting under the panel.
Has anyone else noticed this?
Anyway, that's minor, thanks for the tips for install and cable ingress.
20240917_060458.jpg

Local time
10:10 AM
Reaction score
I put a Hard Korr 170w panel on the roof yesterday, in between the roof bars as discussed above. I ran the cable through one of the roof top dtp outlet grommets, into the car. (It's on the other side)
I need to pull some trim apart to hide the cable next.
I did notice some additional wind noise on the way to work this morning, wondering if the panel would be better between the rear bars. I guess the air coming over the roof from windscreen is buffeting under the panel.
Has anyone else noticed this?
Anyway, that's minor, thanks for the tips for install and cable ingress.
View attachment 7870428
Hi Pedrogb,

I had the same problem, so I went to Clark Rubber and got some 20mm or 25mm square rubber and wedged it in the rear bottom edge and sides of the solar panel and the wind noise disappeared.
I ran the solar cable next to the raised air intake and through a firewall grommet along with the UHF coax cable.

pedrogb

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So you think just inside the edges of the panel is causing the noise? I hadn't thought of that. I guess I could give that a try
Thanks for the tip

Back
Top Bottom