The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Solar panel on Rhino rack bars

internal

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:30 PM
Reaction score
I have one of this on the Aux battery and the voltage readings seem close. I might put charge on both batteries via posts in engine bay, as I'm not sure where in the battery boxes I could wire it in to both. See what that does
As the second battery, for reasons only known to someone at INEOS, only serves to support the first battery when it is flat, I don't think it's much use connecting the Solar panel to the auxiliary battery.
I have connected my Victron directly to the starter battery, which works well.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:30 PM
Reaction score
Hi @internal have you connected to the negative battery post or a suitable earthing point 🤔

pedrogb

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:30 PM
Reaction score
If you charge both batteries up at least you know the starting position (100%), I had to do this with my battery boxes when testing the new Ancel battery monitor. My car batteries have been consistent from Day 1 of ownership.
Yep I was thinking of that approach
You're right, I wasn't precise in my wording: I connected the positive to the starter battery and the negative to a suitable earthing point.
I'll move some stuff around. Thanks for the tips

Local time
10:00 PM
Reaction score
Hi all
Solar panel seems to be working OK, but SOC doesn't seem to have moved much at all. 80 to 82% for days on end. No load on battery except for 15 minutes drives to and from. The car was in complete bright sun all day today. My victron mppt smart solar regulator is wired direct to auxiliary battery.
Surely it should have charged it up a bit today.
Strangely enough, before solar panel went on and last service, it sat around 87%. For months. Never much above or below no matter what. Long drive would bring it up, but haven't done one recently.
On Cape trip, I saw 100% several times, and drop to 60% after a couple of days in place using charges and lights etc.
Suggestions anyone?
Hi pedrogb,

I ran my MPPT solar regulator straight to the main battery, and as close to the main battery as practical ( approximately 1.5 metres ), in my case it is fitted to the cargo barrier using 6 AWG wire for that 1.5 metre cable run.
My state of charge on the the dash now stays between 99% and 100% even when the Grenadier has been parked and not moved for a week, but I do leave the Grenadier parked up the driveway so it gets direct sun light, and that has been the case all through Winter, and now Spring.
Before the Solar panel was fitted the state of charge was around 80% - 90% every morning, and if the Grenadier was not moved for a week the state of charge would be around 55% - 65%.

Back
Top Bottom