The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

So where are all the first impressions? (right here)

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:22 AM
Reaction score
  1. After a heavy rain, I had opened the driver's door, and took something out of the car, and then threw the door shut again. As a result, a gush of water came out from under the driver's side of the car. I could not see where it came from. I can therefore only assume that there is a drainage for the roof rails coming out somewhere. Anyway, I opened the door again and looked into the car: In the footwell, inside near the front of the door sill, it was wet, as if something was not tight. But it could be that this water was in the door rubber or its folds, and came out when the door was closed. This is to be observed.
  2. The start-stop automatic works quite well for me. Surprisingly, however, it has restarted the engine two or three times even though I was still on the brakes. I can only assume that this happened for cooling reasons, because it was in city traffic at about 25 degrees Celsius outside temperature.
  3. An interesting experiment has shown that you can switch the transmission from 'D' to 'N' (and also back again very smoothly without any judder) while driving. This way you can activate a kind of 'sailing mode'. I used to do this on my W203 for 300'000 km without any problems, but I am still hesitating on my Grenadier. Anyway, the software allows this, and I found no warning or reference to it in the manual. There was also no warning indication on the display. But before I use this regularly, I will write an official request to ZF to get a binding answer and in doubt not employ this way of driving.
  4. For example, I can't start the engine if I want to do so standing next to the car through the open door without sitting on the seat and wearing a seatbelt. Not even when the gearshift is in 'P' and the handbrake is on.

By the way: The first thing I did on Tuesday was to visit Christian and Vera in the neighbor village. From this visit Christian has made a small video, which, as I suspect, should be seen from tomorrow on his channel. Of course, Christian also looked under the car and found a few things that you might want to have a look at as well.

So check out the channel "LR Time". :)
Nice review @emax
Let me comment on your comments ... (modified numbering, see above)
  1. The rubber tube for the drain of the Safari windows on both sides [EDITED] OF THE FOOTWELL can become loose very easily, had that on my car before delivery, therefore the water could be from a loose tube.
  2. I also already experienced this, looks like normal behavior when more electrical power is needed for any reason.
  3. Well, this is quite interesting! I once did it by mistake, but didn't think about the "sailing" mode. It's my first automatic gearbox, therefore still learning! Thanks for the trick. Personally, I don't think this could be an issue for the gearbox. By the way, I read this morning in my financial newspaper that a very known Belgian business man (Guido Dumarey, "Punch Group") bought in 2012 a gearbox factory from GM in Strasbourg France, modernized the plant and delivers gearboxes as a subcontractor for ZF mainly for BMW motor's!
  4. Same for me with a difference: I don't need to wear my seatbelt!
Thank for the tip concerning "Christian and Vera", will see tonight if they posted something.

Last edited:

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I was expecting some joke :eek:, but this is probably one of your (@Tazzieman ) first serious posts (y) :ROFLMAO:
Thanks, simple, understandable explanation. Therefore, if I understood it right, I should not put my ZF gearbox in Neutral, the system itself is designed for it. Do I get it right?

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:22 AM
Reaction score
The LR Time video does a good job of pointing out dangly cables. It looks like additional after-market skid plates will be a necessity for serious off-roading.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:22 AM
Reaction score
I was expecting some joke :eek:, but this is probably one of your (@Tazzieman ) first serious posts (y) :ROFLMAO:
Thanks, simple, understandable explanation. Therefore, if I understood it right, I should not put my ZF gearbox in Neutral, the system itself is designed for it. Do I get it right?
I've not read the linked article but do recall reading an article on the development of the ZF gearboxes that suggested "sailing mode" was something introduced on one of the updates between versions.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
7:22 PM
Reaction score
I would ask Ineos as I'm not sure how the variants in the Grenadier are set up.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I didn’t notice any sailing mode. And although the motor is smooth it should be noticeable when the rotation speed comes down to idle while driving on the Autobahn.
I think the drag is so strong that sailing doesn’t makes sense (at least at higher speed.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
7:22 PM
Reaction score
I think the drag is so strong that sailing doesn’t makes sense (at least at higher speed.
Agree. Going downhill , does the vehicle slow down (airbrake effect) or speed up when in neutral?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I don't think this could be an issue for the gearbox.
Be careful, Jean, the gearbox costs a fortune!

The point is, that all the automatic gearboxes have an own oil pump inside, and this pump is driven by some link to either the motor or to the axles, I don't know. Anyway, if this pump looses the link due to the "sailing" mode, you might run into a big problem. That's why I will ask ZF before saving fuel for some bucks and then having to pay thousands of Euros for a repair or a new box.

But in general, "sailing" can save a lot of fuel once you get used to it and you do the moves automatically. I had my W203 burn some (estimated) 15% less on some trips.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Sailing mode: Besides the open questions above, it absolutly does make sense in certain situations.

- a traffic light in some distance turns red: I let it roll (sail). So the car gets slower (which is what I want) and does not burn fuel for nothing. If the car is fast enough (say: too fast) sailing does not make sense since the engine will cut off fuel burn completely if you take your foot off the gas pedal. But there is something in between, where you have to spend some fuel to maintain enough velocity to get to the traffic light at all.
- when I drive home (for example) there are three legs which go hill down. They sum up to six kilometers and the car stays at 80 Kmh in sailing mode. This makes six kilometers out of 18 in total.
- when approaching a line of cars, I can often synchronize with the lower speed of the line if I switch to sailing mode at the right moment. It's a matter of feel, but you quickly learn when that's the case.

There a many more such situations, and it just becomes flesh and blood, so you don't even think about it anymore.

That being said, I have numbers: The savings are obvious. "Wer heilt, hat recht." ;-)

But I emphasize: don't do that shit until you know if and what the consequences will be. The fact that this works now with my 23 year old Merc for over 300'000 km, does not not necessarily mean that this works with the Grenadier.

Last edited:

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I think this is it:
The video is not yet listed. How did you find it?

I think Christian will not be happy ...

I'd suggest you (and others) remove the link. It will still be there when Christian thinks it's the right time.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
2:22 AM
Reaction score
Neutral to drive on ZF. In my L663 (same transmission) manual, you have the ability to start out in low range when towing from a stop. As you get up to speed, you put the shifter in neutral and then press the transfer case button to move it into high range. Then you shift it into drive. The idea is low torque to get going provides less stress on engine when towing over 3000pds. Keep in mind mine has a 4 cylinder no hybrid. I don't think that will ever be needed on the Grenadier but I believe it's a hold over from the ZF design.

Beormund

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
OMG. The car is almost undriveable in 30°C heat without working A/C. It will have to go back to the agent this week to be fixed. They mentioned it would likely be fixed by the next software update but we can't wait another 4 weeks to be fixed.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I didn’t notice any sailing mode. And although the motor is smooth it should be noticeable when the rotation speed comes down to idle while driving on the Autobahn.
Agree. Going downhill , does the vehicle slow down (airbrake effect) or speed up when in neutral?
it depends obviously on the speed of the car and the angle of the street I would say

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:22 AM
Reaction score
The video is not yet listed. How did you find it?

I think Christian will not be happy ...

I'd suggest you (and others) remove the link. It will still be there when Christian thinks it's the right time.
He posted it to YouTube. That's how I found it. There are already comments on the post on YouTube. I assure you I did not hack him. :) Here's the direct link:

Link

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
He posted it to YouTube. That's how I found it. There are already comments on the post on YouTube. I assure you I did not hack him. :) Here's the direct link:

Link
Worth a thread of it's own?

Back
Top Bottom