The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Side panels and gas cans?

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:36 PM
Reaction score
I’m good…
If anyone else here has a problem with
My measured response to zimm’s blatant badgering; I.e.
“There needs to be therapy group for people that just buy shit and you need to join it. I guarantee your house is littered with useless crap you thought looked cool.”
Then this place clearly isn’t the right place for me.
I’ll happily move on.
I’d say anyone that bought a Grenadier did it because it was cool. I love the look of it.
The SLRV option is the way to go.
They’ll ship to the USA from Australia. Would likely be expensive, but the product is quality and with the exchange rate of USD to AUD Being 1.5, you get a lot of value for your money.
Give SLRV a call, and ask for Warwick. He’ll set you up.

https://expeditionhq.com.au/product/xspec-xframes-30l-diesel-tank-transfer-pump-combo/

I’ve got the X-Spec panel and 30L tank mounted on my fuel filler side, and Maxtrax on the other.
I’ll add another 30L tank to the passenger side, and chuck the maxtrax up on my roof rack for extra long range on desert trips which will extend my fuel range to 150L total. Not too shabby.

For anyone concerned with visibility, it sits higher than a normal Jerry profile, so the rear viz isn’t obstructed. I don’t even see it any more when I drive. And this is with a truck full of gear rendering my rear view useless. Relying entirely on side view mirrors for all forms driving, forward and reverse.

And anyone concerned with the load capacity of the grab bar and utility belt combined with 60+ pounds of dynamic load hanging off the side…
I have zero issues with it. The whole system is rock solid. I’d comfortably put more weight on it.
The panels are one piece, laser cut 1/4 inch aluminium to save weight, but they’re stout. Fastened with stainless steel bolts, and mounting points on 4 corners they’re not going anywhere. The rotopax style plastic mating system would be my only point of concern as far as a failure, as it’s the weakest link.
It over time could weaken and crack allowing the weight of the fuel tank to separate from the metal panel… it’s a big maybe. And I mitigate it by removing the tank and storing the parts in my garage when I don’t need it for extended range.

All up the whole package of both panels and a tank cost me $1600 Aud. The price has gone up by 20% in recent months. Probably due to popularity of the products. Again the currency conversion rate coming from the US would make it tolerable. Especially if they’re charging an arm and a leg to ship it.
I do really like that setup! Would be perfect to have one on each side. Right side fuel and left side a shower.

AFdude412

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:36 PM
Reaction score
The SLRV option is the way to go.
They’ll ship to the USA from Australia. Would likely be expensive, but the product is quality and with the exchange rate of USD to AUD Being 1.5, you get a lot of value for your money.
Give SLRV a call, and ask for Warwick. He’ll set you up.

https://expeditionhq.com.au/product/xspec-xframes-30l-diesel-tank-transfer-pump-combo/

I’ve got the X-Spec panel and 30L tank mounted on my fuel filler side, and Maxtrax on the other.
I’ll add another 30L tank to the passenger side, and chuck the maxtrax up on my roof rack for extra long range on desert trips which will extend my fuel range to 150L total. Not too shabby.

For anyone concerned with visibility, it sits higher than a normal Jerry profile, so the rear viz isn’t obstructed. I don’t even see it any more when I drive. And this is with a truck full of gear rendering my rear view useless. Relying entirely on side view mirrors for all forms driving, forward and reverse.

And anyone concerned with the load capacity of the grab bar and utility belt combined with 60+ pounds of dynamic load hanging off the side…
I have zero issues with it. The whole system is rock solid. I’d comfortably put more weight on it.
The panels are one piece, laser cut 1/4 inch aluminium to save weight, but they’re stout. Fastened with stainless steel bolts, and mounting points on 4 corners they’re not going anywhere. The rotopax style plastic mating system would be my only point of concern as far as a failure, as it’s the weakest link.
It over time could weaken and crack allowing the weight of the fuel tank to separate from the metal panel… it’s a big maybe. And I mitigate it by removing the tank and storing the parts in my garage when I don’t need it for extended range.

All up the whole package of both panels and a tank cost me $1600 Aud. The price has gone up by 20% in recent months. Probably due to popularity of the products. Again the currency conversion rate coming from the US would make it tolerable. Especially if they’re charging an arm and a leg to ship it.
Are those MK2 or Lite Maxtrax?

parb

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:36 PM
Reaction score
I used to carry fuel on a carrier bolted to the hitch receiver. It screwed up my departure angle , added a lift so it came up higher but now I can't use the trunk door without removing the tanks which ended up being more of a hassle than I thought it would. On the roof I'm getting a rtt so that's out of the question. I put two Jerry cans on the side in molles.

I'll take the snarkiness, but I prefer that mount. I'm probably not as hardcore as the snarky poster anyway, after all I got a Smurf blue car so what does that tell you about being a member of the cool kids club? 😎

Last edited:
Local time
12:36 PM
Reaction score
Hanging stuff off the side of your truck =‘s damage when off camber. There’s a reason why off-road suvs have a taper. This is like the “two spare tire” fad of 2014. Two Jerry’s on the rear, best. Roof second, and, if you’re ripping out the interior for a platform, and dive a diesel, inside is awesome in third world countries. If you’re in the US, the land of fuel stations, and you’re driving down the highway with two gas can’s bolted to the side window…. There needs to be therapy group for people that just buy shit and you need to join it. I guarantee your house is littered with useless crap you thought looked cool.
You should explore Nevada, One of my favorite hunting spots requires me to drive an hour north to the closest gas station before I can turn south for home.

LeftCoastOverland

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:36 AM
Reaction score
Are those MK2 or Lite Maxtrax?
MK2’s they fit (Just!) so both the Passenger rear door opens, and the rear 1/3 door opens fully, but the ladder slightly impacts the maxtrax on full open (not of concern to me).
The Lite’s fit great, but they’re really only intended for side by side type applications. I’d worry a grenadier would overload the smaller ones.

Attachments

• IMG_2404.jpeg
    IMG_2404.jpeg
    6 MB · Views: 56
Local time
3:36 PM
Reaction score
You should explore Nevada, One of my favorite hunting spots requires me to drive an hour north to the closest gas station before I can turn south for home.
OR the western Maine woods for a week. Ya put the jerry cans on the back or on the roof if you must, and you're not getting seasonal growth or worse wedged between the shit hanging off the side of your truck and the truck, or stacking rocks to avoid an outcropping while off camber.

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:36 AM
Reaction score
Can anybody tell me what brand the Expedition HQ, 20 and 30 L fuel tanks are and what certifications do they meet if any. eg As/NZs2906, TUV etc?

Cheers
Steve

AFdude412

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
MK2’s they fit (Just!) so both the Passenger rear door opens, and the rear 1/3 door opens fully, but the ladder slightly impacts the maxtrax on full open (not of concern to me).
The Lite’s fit great, but they’re really only intended for side by side type applications. I’d worry a grenadier would overload the smaller ones.
That's great news. Thanks. I have the Bison Gear side panels inbound and am hoping to finally have a spot to store my MK2's. BTW, what size KM3's are you running? Your setup looks perfect.

LeftCoastOverland

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:36 AM
Reaction score
That's great news. Thanks. I have the Bison Gear side panels inbound and am hoping to finally have a spot to store my MK2's. BTW, what size KM3's are you running? Your setup looks perfect.
Thanks, Amigo!
They’re 285/70r17 plenty large enough for everything I intend to drive. Haven’t had any scrubbing issues on the factory suspension.

In the future for long range trips I’ll swap the maxtrax to the roof rack and add another 30L of diesel to that side panel, but for my everyday type driving they work well right there.

LWA55DAL

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Leitner just released these, but they require the roof rack or the cross bars. They are suitable for use with Rotopax so a good option and the Leitner products are awesome.

74CampySuperRecord

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:36 PM
Reaction score
Leitner just released these, but they require the roof rack or the cross bars. They are suitable for use with Rotopax so a good option and the Leitner products are awesome.

Aaaargggh!

Pulling out the credit card. I wasn’t supposed to spend any more money.

Order placed.

Last edited:

74CampySuperRecord

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Leitner Side Kick accessory panels arrived today. I will mount them mount to the rig after the Washougal motocross races are over.

Leitner is awesome!

Thank you @LWA55DAL for the heads up! 🍻

74CampySuperRecord

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I only received one panel. I ordered 2.

These are really, really cool.

Total of 4 mounting bolts.

Leitner rack is necessary.

This is a 5 minute job. A friend helps. ACS rack mounts are needed.

Back
Top Bottom