The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Sand driving - what’s your experience.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:32 AM
Reaction score
I used to do mud runs in my old ford p/u and I used one of these to clean the underside. about every 15 minutes just pull it back to the next area

What is a good Flight Log Decryption program and what is the cost?
You won't believe it. But that's exactly what I do .

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:32 PM
Reaction score
My concern with sand driving is the ESC that automatically resumes if vehicle speed reaches 80km/h. In Namibia there are numerous “rollercoaster” dunes where you are doing 100-120 km/h to get over them. The ESC should remain deactivated until YOU switch it back on or you switch the vehicle off - this is how Toyotas and Landies work.
I agree with this. It's very easy to hit 75km on hard Beach.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:32 PM
Reaction score
Great feedback, thanks for sharing.

In my few times in the dunes in the UAE, the gren has performed well for what it’s designed for, although my expectations were higher prior to receiving the vehicle.

Iv found I needed to be lower than usual on tyre pressure (less than 15psi on the soft sand)
Gears are usually on low gear and center diff lock most of the time with esp off and Offroad engaged.
Low gear seems to disable the shadow / ghost traction control almost entirely but not completely, which I think the UAE group is coming up with a kill switch for (patiently waiting)…
Ground clearance is an issue on soft sand and the weight can be felt.
A lift kit and/or larger tires has been the solution to some for this but personally I have not taken that route yet.
The turbo kicks in fine, and the power is available, it’s a matter of knowing when it will kick in when you are ascending a dune on the gear you are in that will make the difference in success or failure. i would have wished for an extra two cylinders of power for this type of terrain.
The ac filter is a nightmare with sand collection, good luck with that cuz most users in the uae have experienced massive collection of sand in the filter. It really is an issue on this vehicle, even with recirculation on.
The grenadier seems to be a sand magnet, there are almost no proper door seems as sand gets into most and gets stuck deep in there, the knobs on center console are all ingrained with sand now on my gren so turning up or down the ac or volume or temperature all have a nice sandy grain feeling to them now. Cleaning it is a mission.

Engaging the lockers while bogged down or stuck in between (1 or 2 tires off) is almost mission impossible for me (worked once out of the few times only) but when it works, it’s a life saver. Again Iv never had to on any other previous japenese vehicle be in either low gear or lockers on sand, but times are different now..

Love it, and still learning how to handle the gren on sand but that’s been my experience last season.
Hoping this season I am more accustomed to its ways to enjoy it more.

Phil
The Gren is a sand trap for sure both inside and out.

Reactions: Pfk

Pfk

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
7:32 PM
Reaction score
Sand in the air filter is a problem. I takes months until its stops spitting dust when you turn on ventilation. But is it different to other cars? On my G wagon it was even worse. Are Toyotas better there?
My turning knobs in the center console also have a crunchy grime feel when turned. They obviously trap dust. If you figured out how to clean them please tell me.
for me, il be taking the ac filter out and emptying it after every hardcore trip, its a pia but i havent seen a better option and the amount of sand it spits out is significant.
the ram iv had for 5 years before this vehicle was much better in that sense, night and day, and the Y62 Nissan patrol before the ram, and on the mitsubishi pajero 3 door i had for a good 10 years before that was also a non issue.
as for toyotas, from freinds i know there hasnt been a complain here on this about the fj cruiser and the land cruiser 300, or the Y61 nissan patrol
iv learnt to accept the crunch on the knobs, cuz iv had that issue on all my vehicles iv taken to the sand. i kid myself that i will not open the windows when i get bogged down when i buy a new car but funny enough its always the first thing i do.

Local time
11:32 AM
Reaction score
It may not work, but try hitting the knobs with high pressure air while turning them.

Back
Top Bottom