The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Safari Roof Shades

LeeroyJ

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:54 AM
Reaction score
I've had the shades (front windshield and safari windows) from HeatShield for about 7,000 miles now and been very happy with them. The Safari window shades come with suction cups, but I never bothered using them because they snuggly fit in there on their own. They completely block the light (except for the small holes where the suction cups are supposed to go), and block the heat. I forget they are installed. For $49 for the pair of safari shades, you cant go wrong.

LeeroyJ

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:54 AM
Reaction score
I've had the shades (front windshield and safari windows) from HeatShield for about 7,000 miles now and been very happy with them. The Safari window shades come with suction cups, but I never bothered using them because they snuggly fit in there on their own. They completely block the light (except for the small holes where the suction cups are supposed to go), and block the heat. I forget they are installed. For $49 for the pair of safari shades, you cant go wrong.

Also I’ll add that Heatshield is a small US company and makes these in the US. I’ve been using them for my cars for many years.

Here are some photos:

IMG_9272.jpegView attachment IMG_9275.jpeg

AUDIOBUS

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:54 PM
Reaction score
There are great vendor solutions, but “Idea clamps” from the desk drawer tucked into the headliner at the back, and the sun visor holding the front have made the $19 solution more than adequate. But I like this 3M tape, and a magnet idea. Maybe even a thin metal shim under the trim with a magnet… hmmm.

IMG_5092.jpeg

K2grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:54 PM
Reaction score
I ordered sun shades for the Safari windows from a seller on Amazon for $29.99. Turns out they are complete crap, cheap and flimsy. They arrived folded into quarters and stuffed into a plastic bag leaving permanent creases in the panels. Needless to say, I am in the process of returning them.
Grenadiers, avoid this Chinese seller and their poorly made sun shades:

Tumukiw Car Sunroof Sun Shade Compatible with INEOS Grenadier 2020-2024, Foldable Glass Roof Sunshade Blocks 99% UV Rays and Keep Cool Auto Accessories
https://a.co/d/0hKqWQ7U
I order the same...with the same experience. I think I am going to make one with thin wood and reflective material and salvage suction cups that came with the product.

LAdrummer

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The Overland Gear Guy makes the best safari window shades IMHO. Great quality!. I opted to pay a little more for the Havelock wool insulation. Just terrific! The Overland Gear Guy products are awesome. I have ordered the under seat bags and rear cargo bags and recently the windshield shade and driver/passenger shades. I like to support American Made American owned companies when I can. The Overland Gear Guy company is 10 out of 10 in my book. Highly recommended

AUDIOBUS

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:54 PM
Reaction score
The Overland Gear Guy makes the best safari window shades IMHO. Great quality!. I opted to pay a little more for the Havelock wool insulation. Just terrific! The Overland Gear Guy products are awesome. I have ordered the under seat bags and rear cargo bags and recently the windshield shade and driver/passenger shades. I like to support American Made American owned companies when I can. The Overland Gear Guy company is 10 out of 10 in my book. Highly recommended
Agree! I have the underseat bags -- great stuff!

drinkmorejava

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:54 PM
Reaction score
I just attempted to install my snapshades and they're going back right away. The drivel about needing to be in tension because they're mounted horizontally is just that, drivel. There's no question that four strong magnets could hold these in place if they were properly sized, but they're several millimeters too large in both directions, causing the whole frame to bend and only three of the magnets ever contact. The handle hole is also grossly mis-sized. If you make any attempt to actuate the windows, the whole thing falls down immediately. The concept is fine, but the execution is very far off.

Reactions: PBD

LAdrummer

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I just attempted to install my snapshades and they're going back right away. The drivel about needing to be in tension because they're mounted horizontally is just that, drivel. There's no question that four strong magnets could hold these in place if they were properly sized, but they're several millimeters too large in both directions, causing the whole frame to bend and only three of the magnets ever contact. The handle hole is also grossly mis-sized. If you make any attempt to actuate the windows, the whole thing falls down immediately. The concept is fine, but the execution is very far off.
Sound very frustrating! Save yourself the frustration and buy the safari shades from The Overland Gear Guy. https://overlandgearguy.com/product...ari-window-covers?_pos=5&_sid=4f7b1343d&_ss=r

carlg007

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I would like to think you for your review of the snapshade and I am sorry that you are having issues with it. I was considering purchasing and I really like to concept and the way they are suppose to function but think the template or something is obviously wonky and I will just wait till the problem is resolved or find an alternative solution. Living in Florida the skylights are really only an issue from time to time so it is not that big of a deal and I do not want to get something that blocks the view of the sky 100%.
Please keep us posted on your solution, maybe they have identified the problem and corrected it!

drinkmorejava

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

carlg007

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
They look super nice, the problem is I don't want to blackout the window. He needs a mesh option so the window is still nominally a window and not a submarine hatch.
I agree! I would like filtered light the total blackout defeats the purpose of the safari windows in my opinion. I would like to say the total blackout option suggested does appear to be a quality made product it just is not my preference.

LAdrummer

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I just ordered shades from Rob at Overland Gear Guy. I bought a pair of the Havelock Wool insulated shades. https://overlandgearguy.com/product...ari-window-covers?_pos=5&_sid=32350478c&_ss=r
I'll give an update soon.
I could not be happier with the shades from OverlandGearGuy (Rob). The shades are incredibly well made. Fit snug. Blocks all sunlight and heat. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND. Rob (Overland Gear Guy) is also a Grenny owner. Super nice guy too. Give him your business. Made in America.

Reactions: PBD
Local time
Reaction score
These look very nice and while they are probably more functional than my 12"x19" suction cup shades for $12 from Amazon, I'm not able to justify $85 US prior to shipping. Going to have to wait for more aftermarket options. Look forward to hearing your review anyway and perhaps you will be able to convince me ;)
Can you please send a link to these? I have been looking all over Amazon for 12” wide ones. I ordered twice and they were too wide.

Thanks,

Adam

LAdrummer

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Can you please send a link to these? I have been looking all over Amazon for 12” wide ones. I ordered twice and they were too wide.

Thanks,

Adam
Gladly! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0721SGH9F?tag=globalgrena0b-20 . They are listed as 17"x14".
I would say they cover 95% of the window area. Its a good cheap fix until additional aftermarket ones come out with time and there is a selection to chose from.
Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom