The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Rust

JohnHeagney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:03 PM
Reaction score
Hi All

Does anyone elae have Rust on the wheel nuts, locking nut and side bars? These photos are of each wheel and two of each of the side rails.

Maybe the salt used on the North Yorkshire roads doesn't help but this isn't good, I have done just less than 16,000 miles in 53 weeks.

My dealer say (always found them very good) that this is not a general problem and that they are awaiting a response from Ineos Automotive - and have been for quite a few weeks.....

ThanksRust 5.jpgRust 6.jpgRust 7.jpgRust 8.jpgRust 1.jpgRust 2.jpgRust 3.jpgRust 4.jpg

John

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:03 PM
Reaction score
Hi All

Does anyone elae have Rust on the wheel nuts, locking nut and side bars? These photos are of each wheel and two of each of the side rails.

Maybe the salt used on the North Yorkshire roads doesn't help but this isn't good, I have done just less than 16,000 miles in 53 weeks.

My dealer say (always found them very good) that this is not a general problem and that they are awaiting a response from Ineos Automotive - and have been for quite a few weeks.....

ThanksView attachment 7856181View attachment 7856182View attachment 7856183View attachment 7856184View attachment 7856194View attachment 7856195View attachment 7856196View attachment 7856197

John
Hi John,
in my view, this is absolutely unacceptable. So far, I have not had any rust spots like this. However, I didn't drive in salt last winter either.
I often drive in mud on my fields and the dirt settles on the door sills. As I don't always have time to wash it off, the moisture stays on the surface for longer. I will observe this and report back.
I'm interested to hear what your dealer and Ineos have to say and how they react.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have rust on the hub edges of the steel wheels. Dealer made "note" of it.
Yes, I have that too. But that doesn't worry me. This is also the case with other vehicles, but you can't see it at first glance because of the hubcaps.

AMD66

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’ve done 8,500 miles on Northumberland & Scotish Borders heavily salted roads and have nothing on wheel nuts. I have a few rust spots on side steps , yours seem heavily pitted and rusted in comparison.

Lord Ripon USA

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Bad plating on the nuts. Replace, as Alloy wheels deserve proper nuts.

Sand abrasion on the bars.
More than likely, the bars will need regular attention with tractor paint (epoxy hardener added)
This has been cited here previously by an Aussie member after a longish desert trip.

I do an annual on my mowers because my sandy soil wears off the coatings. Tractor paint lasts a good long time and is easy to apply every spring. A can of flat black epoxy and a cardboard shield for over spray.

I do the same on my Mule and my Gator, because once their paper thin frame goes due to rust, they are finished.
We can argue about the coating specification for the bars, but that would be of little help.

On my Mule the dealer popped the bars off, cleaned them, and sprayed them w/tractor paint, and I've had no wear through since.
Yet, the original coating on the bars wore off within 1 week of purchase. And they said it was my fault!
I'm guessing the powdercoat on the bars is very thin to start.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My side steps are rusty but have had a hard life on dirt and gravel roads. When I get the vehicle back I will remove them, clean them and use rust converter. I will probably treat all underneath with Lanoguard in the summer also. No rust on wheel nets that I’m aware of IMG_1757.jpegIMG_1758.jpeg

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Look up a company website called Bilt Hamber, despite the name sounding possibly German (nothing wrong with that), they are a British company.

They are well known for car cleaning products and also rust inhibitors for vehicles. They do one for inside chassis’s and one for everything. Else under a vehicle, I am going to do all of mine in this stuff.

Like others say your steps look a lot worse than many others, but the OEM steps seem to have a rattle can paint finish from China, the dealer/IA might say replace but will you have the same in 12 months time ?? Or you could just bite the bullet, sand them, rust treat them and put some tractor paint on them and then double down with a Bilt Hamber treatment….belt and braces.

shiv.nandak

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My side steps are rusty but have had a hard life on dirt and gravel roads. When I get the vehicle back I will remove them, clean them and use rust converter. I will probably treat all underneath with Lanoguard in the summer also. No rust on wheel nets that I’m aware of View attachment 7856263View attachment 7856264
How is your fuel tank bash plate? I'm willing to bet that it's completely rusted too.

Reactions: PBD

SkiBum1

GG-4567
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:03 PM
Reaction score
Hi All

ThanksView attachment 7856181View attachment 7856182View attachment 7856183View attachment 7856184View attachment 7856194View attachment 7856195View attachment 7856196View attachment 7856197

John
I am sure all of this is covered under the warranty. The rock sliders rusting is clearly an inadequate powder coating manufacturer defect.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:03 AM
Reaction score
I am sure all of this is covered under the warranty. The rock sliders rusting is clearly an inadequate powder coating manufacturer defect.
Cheap Chinese steel and poor powder coating. I had rock sliders on my Patrol for years in harsh Outback conditions and they still looked way better than that INEOS mistake.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I had a 18 year old work ute up until recently with less rust around any wheel component or fixing than you vehicle is showing which is effectively brand new... lodge a warranty claim. The wheel nuts are very poor in your example... HDG I think not.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
In the UK with all the salt on the roads powder coating doesn't stand a chance, even the good stuff won't last, especially in a high impact area. Hence I was happy to pay the extra for the Buzz stainless sliders. What I'd do is take them off, and drop them at your local agricultural fabricators, they can send them off with their next consignment to be hot dip galvanised. You could then paint them with raptor black or similar. Or just get the buzz ones....

Back
Top Bottom