The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Rust

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:01 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone else have rusting Torx retaining screws in the utility strips/snorkel mounting points on the outside of the vehicle? I think they've a Japaned coating but mine were showing spots of rust straight off the showroom floor, not a great look for a brand new vehicle! I guess they're shipped by sea and the salt air would find any bare metal within a few hours.

Has anyone swapped them for stainless screws yet? If so what spec/length did you go for?
The doors are aluminium so be aware of galvanic corrosion using stainless steel fixings in those.

Phred

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:01 AM
Reaction score
Every truck I have owned with nerf bars have seen them rust, no matter the Mfg. It’s just a matter of time. Most will warranty them BUT you need to ship them back = hassle.

Take them off, clean and derust them, then have them powder coated or painted. I’ve seen expoxy paint or some type of Rhino lining used.

G-Man

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:01 AM
Reaction score
The doors are aluminium so be aware of galvanic corrosion using stainless steel fixings in those.
Yes that was my fear too

As the steel bolts are a less noble metal than aluminium they'll corrode first, but it'll be a regular job to replace them by the look of it

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
@G-Man - Yes, I noticed oxidation right away, so I put a drop if Triflow on every single bolt I could find!

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes that was my fear too

As the steel bolts are a less noble metal than aluminium they'll corrode first, but it'll be a regular job to replace them by the look of it
Decades of LR ownership say the opposite. The aluminum is the anode and the stainless is the cathode. Electrons transfer from the aluminum, weakening it. It doesn’t always happen, but marine environments and salty roads are perfect conditions.

Back
Top Bottom