The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Roof rack from Leitner Designs coming soon

74CampySuperRecord

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:48 AM
Reaction score
I opted for the Leitner 3/4 ACS rack. I was blown away by the quality and precision of everything.

Leitner? The name sounded familiar. AMP.

This is top quality manufacturing. Beyond excellent.

I am a customer. No affiliation other than riding AMP products in the past.

bradb622

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
6:48 AM
Reaction score
I opted for the Leitner 3/4 ACS rack. I was blown away by the quality and precision of everything.

Leitner? The name sounded familiar. AMP.

This is top quality manufacturing. Beyond excellent.

I am a customer. No affiliation other than riding AMP products in the past.
I’d have to agree about the quality, it’s exceptional. Very well designed and built.

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:48 AM
Reaction score
Leitner full rack should arrive Friday. Weekend project.
Based on the full rack instructions, it looks like the 3/4 rack can be converted to full with additional side bars if they are available for separate purchase in the future.
leitner_full_rack.jpg

Update: Maddie from Leitner said they are working on a 3/4 to full conversion kit.

Last edited:

holdmybeer

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:48 AM
Reaction score
Nice to hear now there may be a way to transition to a full rack if my needs change.

I am so impressed with the design, machined quality, packaging, and apparent strength of my 3/4 Leitner rack.

It ain't light or flexy. And neither is the Grenadier.

Asnes

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Installed the full size rack this weekend. Quality packaging, quality instructions, quality everything. With 35s and the Eibach lift, the roof rack puts the height at 85" FYI
Seems too low to be true! Just a hair over 7'. :) the North American magic number for garage clearance.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Leitner just announced QM roof rack. Short version 40 inches, can fit a spare tire. Longer version 70 inches

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:48 AM
Reaction score
Installed the full size rack this weekend. Quality packaging, quality instructions, quality everything. With 35s and the Eibach lift, the roof rack puts the height at 85" FYI
Can the full rack be installed in reverse, with the short left and right bars in the front instead of the rear?

SUBVET735705769

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Can the full rack be installed in reverse, with the short left and right bars in the front instead of the rear?
I am not an engineer, but I play one on TV. It seems to me, the weakest point on the rack is the joint between the shorter and longer side bars. This joint is made up by two 4in steel T slot connectors held in place with set screws, giving a 2in overlap to each extrusion. This weakness is mitigated by having that joint between the Grenadier hand rails. The short extrusion is fully supported by the rear hand rail (both mounts) while the longer extrusion is supported by the front hand rail and the gutter mount. This comes across as the most structurally correct way for installation.

If the shorter side bars were up front, the joint would interfere with the most forward hand rail mounting bracket. The steel slot connectors go in the same slot as the mounting arms. With the 36in side bar plus the 2" steel connector, this lines up with where the first load bar mount should go, hence the interference. Hope that was clear enough.

Phred

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
They say 2” increase in height with the 3/4 rack. Can anyone confirm this to be true? I’m really close on my garage and need to make sure their 2” is a real 2”.

holdmybeer

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
They say 2” increase in height with the 3/4 rack. Can anyone confirm this to be true? I’m really close on my garage and need to make sure their 2” is a real 2”.

I just took a couple of pics for you. In both pics, the ruler started atop the factory longitudinal black plastic roof strips.

The the first pic shows the top of the rearmost loadbar. The Leitner loadbars are lower than the perimeter so that's not your highest point but that'll be your height increase across the entire inner load "platform" of the rack.

The second pic is more meaningful for empty rack clearance. This shows the distance from factory plastic strip to the top of the Leitner perimeter frame at the rear, looking forward. This is your highest point since Grenadiers have a natural rake. I tried to align the front and rear perimeter frames in the pic so you can read the measurement squarely. I'd say that's 2 1/16", maybe 2 1/8" if you want to be safe.

One other note ... your safari windows, if you have them and they're open, rise taller than the Leitner rack. That's how low profile this rack is.

Hope this helps.

Looking forward, from plastic strip to top of rearmost loadbar:
IMG_7072.jpeg

Looking forward, from plastic strip to top of rear perimeter frame: (highest point of empty rack)
IMG_7074.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom