The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Plastic transmission dish?

AFisher17

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:06 PM
Reaction score
I took my Grenadier to fishing camp 2 weeks ago, The camp is on a dirt road and you have to drive through a creek (shin deep ) a couple times, In the process of driving on dirt road, a stick (as thick as your pointer finger) managed to poke a hole a the transmission dish (according to the service manager) Does this sound correct? I'm kinda at a loss of words. Has anyone had any issues with the transmission dish?

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:06 PM
Reaction score
Do you mean the transmission pan? If so, yes it's plastic but ZF makes all their pans plastic. The aftermarket has created a metal version and I believe the new skid plates cover it.

AFisher17

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Do you mean the transmission pan? If so, yes it's plastic but ZF makes all their pans plastic. The aftermarket has created a metal version and I believe the new skid plates cover it.
Ok... I'll need to get it. I was on a dirt road 2 weeks ago and a stick punctured the pan, Yes a stick as thick as your pointer finger! Stranding me 2 miles off the main road. Was not a fun day!!

Mountain4x4

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:06 PM
Reaction score
Can just order the missing skid plate packages as well. Still waiting on half I was allowed to order. I guess they have made 50K units and they all need them so demand is high. LOL

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Think this has been covered before somewhere, so apologies.

It the IG transmission pan (plastic), generic or is it unique to the Grenny ?.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:06 AM
Reaction score
Any reason why a specifically designed off-road vehicle wouldn't have an alloy pan in the first place? Just a query.

grenadierguy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
7:06 PM
Reaction score
Can just order the missing skid plate packages as well. Still waiting on half I was allowed to order. I guess they have made 50K units and they all need them so demand is high. LOL
They added additional stock skid plates, or are you referencing an aftermarket solution? Thanks!
Any reason why a specifically designed off-road vehicle wouldn't have an alloy pan in the first place? Just a query.
It’s standard for zf transmission so would be more 💸💸 for Ineos, would be my guess.

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Because it is the standard ZF pan. Readily available and something most major shops would be familiar with.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score

Someone on here in a previous thread did give a very good answer to this question. It was along the lines of that the plastic ones are readily available, cheap/er to replace and can actually soak up some punishment and flex back to its original form, whereas a metal one will just dent or tear. Clearly a plastic one can be penetrated by a sharp rock (or in this case a stick), if caught at the right angle.
It was put forward that anyone serious about off-roading will just put a purpose made protection plate over it, which sort of makes the material for the transmission cover irrelevant after that.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Someone on here in a previous thread did give a very good answer to this question. It was along the lines of that the plastic ones are readily available, cheap/er to replace and can actually soak up some punishment and flex back to its original form, whereas a metal one will just dent or tear. Clearly a plastic one can be penetrated by a sharp rock (or in this case a stick), if caught at the right angle.
It was put forward that anyone serious about off-roading will just put a purpose made protection plate over it, which sort of makes the material for the transmission cover irrelevant after that.
So, to summarise, they left the cheaper-softer plastic one there! This is akin to installing a solid timber door and using PVC hinges from a Barbie tea house to hold it up. I am being cynical! I know!

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So, to summarise, they left the cheaper-softer plastic one there! This is akin to installing a solid timber door and using PVC hinges from a Barbie tea house to hold it up. I am being cynical! I know!
If it meant I could have Margot Robbie round for tea, then I'll live with PVC hinges (and anything else PVC she wants!)

parb

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
6:06 PM
Reaction score
Probably the one bit of shortcut they did.
Of the few sins I think ineos did with my car this doesn't register nearly as high as the speed warning...

I'll have the skid plate on shortly, this isn't the big sin in my book.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score

Think of it this way, if you did have a nice aluminium cover on your transmission and you were off to do some decent wheeling in your Grenny, would you not still fit a transmission protection plate ???

The transmission cover could be made out of the hardest material known to man, but if you smash it on a rock, what is the transmission box going to do ?? I don’t exactly know myself but I bet it wouldn’t work very well after !

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Have a look under your IG.
The transmission cover is 45cm/18" above the ground.
Then look at all the other things that would be damaged/smashed by an errant stick or branch which are below by that height.
While you are there, pop the transfer box cables back into their holder.

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
A damaged ZF transmission and failure to proceed is not a bush fix and probably very spendy to retrieve and fix/ replace. Other stuff perhaps not so.
Protect the spendy stuff is my motto!
Actually the pan itself is less than £100 next day on Amazon, so not so expensive. I would hope we would get an alert if the atf leaked out so the transmission isn't damaged.
Agreed, it is going to be an expensive recovery if you are way out in the Oz bush.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:06 AM
Reaction score
Actually the pan itself is less than £100 next day on Amazon, so not so expensive. I would hope we would get an alert if the atf leaked out so the transmission isn't damaged.
Agreed, it is going to be an expensive recovery if you are way out in the Oz bush.
That is my concern , hence the codpiece
You don't have to go far from where I live in Tasmania to be out of phone range and in real trouble.
Even with zoleo , there aren't that many satellites overhead. And no 4wd tow trucks or military helicopters.

Back
Top Bottom