The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Outrageous service cost at South Florida dealer - independent service?

Soflo Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:00 PM
Reaction score
Hi, new to the forum, been searching for an hour and didn't see another thread on this. I bought the Grenadier in December in South Florida. Absolutely love this truck that I waited years to get. I wanted to get the 1 year service done because I already have 10k miles and I might do a long road trip this summer. The dealer (Holman) quoted me $1,656.60 for the service not including tax, which puts the total over $1,800. Are other people getting these quotes in South Florida? I called the Tampa dealer in disbelief and they quoted me just over $400. Both quotes included the recommended maintenance including changing the diff fluid. Unfortunately the Tampa dealer is 4.5 hours away, so I'm thinking about going to an independent mechanic that I know and trust. Does anyone have any experience or advice? If the work is documented properly, are my fears that going to an independent mechanic would void the warranty misplaced?

Attachments

• tempImagefZ3pTq.jpg
    tempImagefZ3pTq.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 96

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Did you tell your dealer that the cross-state dealer was not even a quarter of the price?

Asnes

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Absolute robbery. Oil/filter and dump/fill 2 diffs with multi-point inspection. They should be ashamed to try and charge a customer $1600 for 2 hours shop time plus some oil.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:00 PM
Reaction score
In USD... wooaahhhh. 2 hours is ask this service is. You got ripped off big time.

Local time
9:00 AM
Reaction score
I think that’s the same dealer in another thread that wanted exorbitant amounts to install accessories using RR techs. They wanted 4x the local dealer cost to install accessories, sounds like service is about the same 4x rate. That sucks, not sure if there is good independent BMW service center that might help out with maintenance service.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think that’s the same dealer in another thread that wanted exorbitant amounts to install accessories using RR techs. They wanted 4x the local dealer cost to install accessories, sounds like service is about the same 4x rate. That sucks, not sure if there is good independent BMW service center that might help out with maintenance service.
It pays to get a quote up front. In USD terms, my 15K services was $400 USD...

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:00 AM
Reaction score
Hi, new to the forum, been searching for an hour and didn't see another thread on this. I bought the Grenadier in December in South Florida. Absolutely love this truck that I waited years to get. I wanted to get the 1 year service done because I already have 10k miles and I might do a long road trip this summer. The dealer (Holman) quoted me $1,656.60 for the service not including tax, which puts the total over $1,800. Are other people getting these quotes in South Florida? I called the Tampa dealer in disbelief and they quoted me just over $400. Both quotes included the recommended maintenance including changing the diff fluid. Unfortunately the Tampa dealer is 4.5 hours away, so I'm thinking about going to an independent mechanic that I know and trust. Does anyone have any experience or advice? If the work is documented properly, are my fears that going to an independent mechanic would void the warranty misplaced?
That makes some of the Australian quotes look cheap!

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:00 AM
Reaction score
Hey @Soflo Grenadier My suggestion. Book it in for a Friday at Tampa, take half a day Thursday off to get there, and spend Thursday, Friday and Saturday at a hotel somewhere with your partner and enjoy some time away, and still have a fist full of cash left when you get home Sunday afternoon.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hey @Soflo Grenadier My suggestion. Book it in for a Friday at Tampa, take half a day Thursday off to get there, and spend Thursday, Friday and Saturday at a hotel somewhere with your partner and enjoy some time away, and still have a fist full of cash left when you get home Sunday afternoon.
Brilliant idea! The site has been pretty fair to all the US dealers, but before too long, stuff like this is going to blow up in their faces.

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm having all non-warranty service done at an independent mechanic well versed in 4x4, BMW 58 engine and highly knowledgeable with Ineos. Mechanic is 1 hr away. Nearest dealer for warranty service is 3.5 hrs away but I'm willing to drive 5 hrs to the next nearest as they are more knowledgeable in the overall mechanics of the "G".
My independent mechanic discovered the leaking transfer case at the 5500 mile oil change. All information is documented. I'm working with the 5 hr away dealer to coordinate repair on the transfer case. They understand it is all about efficiency - we are working together to resolve this issue with least amount of down time. I'll drive up on a Sunday, drop off on a Monday and hopefully repeat the trip in 1-2 wks tops. I'm sleeping well at night.

Regarding the Ineos warranties - for Anti-perforation ... "coverage requires that the vehicle is inspected, and repaired, if necessary, annually by an INEOS dealer." I will be sure to schedule service intervals with the dealer to ensure that they can document their inspection of the vehicle. At the rate of driving and the Ineos general warranty only covering 60k miles, suspect I will be on my own within 4.75 yrs at the latest.

I suspect one reason (the Reason??) no service manual has been released (as was promoted to be available but no date was given), is so the dealership service centers can document what issues are occurring, etc. in these first yrs.

From AUS New vehicle warranty manual:
2.3 PERIODIC MAINTENANCE SERVICE

The vehicle must be serviced in accordance with INEOS’ periodic servicing schedule. Servicing must be performed in accordance with INEOS recommended maintenance requirements. Failure to adhere to this condition may result in your warranty claim being rejected and INEOS may ask to see evidence that the vehicle has been properly serviced.

Additional maintenance service may be required. In particular, weather and atmospheric conditions, varying road surfaces, heavier or more frequent vehicle usage, use in extreme terrain or severe driving conditions and individual driving habits are likely to make additional servicing necessary.

2.4 INEOS AUTOMOTIVE APPROVED WORKSHOP

It is recommended that servicing be performed by an INEOS Automotive Approved Workshop to ensure that it is carried out to the required standards. They will have a direct interest in your satisfaction as a INEOS customer, are familiar with your vehicle and are updated regularly on each INEOS model. They are equipped and trained to provide optimum service to your INEOS vehicle

From US owners manual:
1718627449966.jpg
Oil and filter service alone is ~$270 (I've had 2 done)
Overall inspection of the vehicle and top up of fluids - open
Replace the Axle oil - I don't know

I personally find $400 to low and yes $1600 beyond reason.
Ask for an itemized/documented cost of what they are planning on performing - perhaps the $1600 includes in "their service bundle" tire balancing and rotation, and other things.

Cheers and do let us know the outcome!

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I suspect one reason (the Reason??) no service manual has been released (as was promoted to be available but no date was given), is so the dealership service centers can document what issues are occurring, etc. in these first yrs.
I'm going to lean towards the service manual not being released because between MY23 and MY24 there are 3 (or 4 now?) notable changes to systems of the vehicle, this isn't including small running changes (like the fact that the MY24 US bound Quartermasters now have the shifter cable encased in a heat-shield wrap). Printing a repair manual would be very difficult (specifically because the current electronic factory repair manual is very in depth with probably the most impressive assembly drawings (that disassemble) I've seen). Translating this to paper is going to be very time consuming (and either be thousands of pages or lack lots of detail, neither of which is ideal). Opening up the system to the general public also requires a substantial upgrade in the backend and licensing.

Of course, your point of figuring out problems (problem areas as well) is completely correct and important to Ineos as well, primarily because if the failures can be fixed upstream (like in production, or design), then it will save them lots of money down the road in paying dealers for warranty repair time/parts. This is one of the reasons alerting dealers to issues is important for a new vehicle.

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm going to lean towards the service manual not being released because between MY23 and MY24 there are 3 (or 4 now?) notable changes to systems of the vehicle, this isn't including small running changes (like the fact that the MY24 US bound Quartermasters now have the shifter cable encased in a heat-shield wrap). Printing a repair manual would be very difficult (specifically because the current electronic factory repair manual is very in depth with probably the most impressive assembly drawings (that disassemble) I've seen). Translating this to paper is going to be very time consuming (and either be thousands of pages or lack lots of detail, neither of which is ideal). Opening up the system to the general public also requires a substantial upgrade in the backend and licensing.

Of course, your point of figuring out problems (problem areas as well) is completely correct and important to Ineos as well, primarily because if the failures can be fixed upstream (like in production, or design), then it will save them lots of money down the road in paying dealers for warranty repair time/parts. This is one of the reasons alerting dealers to issues is important for a new vehicle.
Thank you for that background info!
Cheers!

Local time
11:00 AM
Reaction score
Its a scam! It is a BMW engine that most mechanics are very familiar with. I've taken every SUV since 2007 to PepBoys including my Range Rover. I going to print the work to be performed. When the time comes they can work off that and I'll be protected. That will not even cost $400.00 with the Fully synthetic Oil Change and a Tire Rotation.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'm having all non-warranty service done at an independent mechanic well versed in 4x4, BMW 58 engine and highly knowledgeable with Ineos. Mechanic is 1 hr away. Nearest dealer for warranty service is 3.5 hrs away but I'm willing to drive 5 hrs to the next nearest as they are more knowledgeable in the overall mechanics of the "G".
My independent mechanic discovered the leaking transfer case at the 5500 mile oil change. All information is documented. I'm working with the 5 hr away dealer to coordinate repair on the transfer case. They understand it is all about efficiency - we are working together to resolve this issue with least amount of down time. I'll drive up on a Sunday, drop off on a Monday and hopefully repeat the trip in 1-2 wks tops. I'm sleeping well at night.

Regarding the Ineos warranties - for Anti-perforation ... "coverage requires that the vehicle is inspected, and repaired, if necessary, annually by an INEOS dealer." I will be sure to schedule service intervals with the dealer to ensure that they can document their inspection of the vehicle. At the rate of driving and the Ineos general warranty only covering 60k miles, suspect I will be on my own within 4.75 yrs at the latest.

From AUS New vehicle warranty manual:
2.3 PERIODIC MAINTENANCE SERVICE

The vehicle must be serviced in accordance with INEOS’ periodic servicing schedule. Servicing must be performed in accordance with INEOS recommended maintenance requirements. Failure to adhere to this condition may result in your warranty claim being rejected and INEOS may ask to see evidence that the vehicle has been properly serviced.

Additional maintenance service may be required. In particular, weather and atmospheric conditions, varying road surfaces, heavier or more frequent vehicle usage, use in extreme terrain or severe driving conditions and individual driving habits are likely to make additional servicing necessary.

2.4 INEOS AUTOMOTIVE APPROVED WORKSHOP

It is recommended that servicing be performed by an INEOS Automotive Approved Workshop to ensure that it is carried out to the required standards. They will have a direct interest in your satisfaction as a INEOS customer, are familiar with your vehicle and are updated regularly on each INEOS model. They are equipped and trained to provide optimum service to your INEOS vehicle

From US owners manual:
View attachment 7860247
Oil and filter service alone is ~$270 (I've had 2 done)
Overall inspection of the vehicle and top up of fluids - open
Replace the Axle oil - I don't know

I personally find $400 to low and yes $1600 beyond reason.
Ask for an itemized/documented cost of what they are planning on performing - perhaps the $1600 includes in "their service bundle" tire balancing and rotation, and other things.

Cheers and do let us know the outcome!
Nothing can justify $1600 USD for a 15K Grenadier service - although blatant piss taking would make sense. That is basically $3000 AUD... for a service with $400 AUD in parts if you include cabin filter, oil sep, the full hog oil replacements about 12L worth...

Soflo Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thank you for all of the comments. Luckily, I declined the service and will be taking it to an independent mechanic. I am glad to hear that there have been positive experiences doing the same

Soflo Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Did you tell your dealer that the cross-state dealer was not even a quarter of the price?
I did and they offered to knock $200 off of the price! Comical. The dealer did a good job when I bought the vehicle. I didn't feel like they tried to play any unfair games and the rep, Thomas, is a good resource. However, I wish that Ineos had put some guardrails on the service business

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
However, I wish that Ineos had put some guardrails on the service business
Welcome to the American dealer system, where the manufacturer has no actual control over the dealer

Back
Top Bottom