The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Option: Carraro axles & diff.-lockers

das mo

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:34 PM
Reaction score
I am a woodworm and not a mechanic, so these shots from a dealer vehicle last week might not show something of interest, but here you go?!

I was simply checking for space to fit drink water tank….

Attachments

• 4E75C753-EE76-4162-93C5-C9194E390E91.jpeg
    4E75C753-EE76-4162-93C5-C9194E390E91.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 131
  • 0D6AE6AD-38B4-4BEA-86C4-F956E413E207.jpeg
    0D6AE6AD-38B4-4BEA-86C4-F956E413E207.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 123
  • C4F03A82-61E9-495A-8B85-657769C75CCE.jpeg
    C4F03A82-61E9-495A-8B85-657769C75CCE.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 124

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:34 PM
Reaction score
I am a woodworm and not a mechanic, so these shots from a dealer vehicle last week might not show something of interest, but here you go?!

I was simply checking for space to fit drink water tank….
That looks very robust to me. I particularly like the look of that diff housing as it looks substantial. The squared off bottom of the diff housing is less prone to damage in my view than the rounded diff housing of the original defender.

das mo

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That looks very robust to me. I particularly like the look of that diff housing as it looks substantial. The squared off bottom of the diff housing is less prone to damage in my view than the rounded diff housing of the original defender.
Yes.

It was beautiful and peaceful lying under that car. ;)

I also found some free internal screw threads. The ones close to the side for the vehicle probably for the rock sliders.

Hope I will be able to use some of those for my customisation.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Cross posted from here:
Sadly - its semi-float. I forget where I read that though...

I've looked in a few places, but info from either Ineos or Carraro seems lacking presently.

The Iveco Daily in 4x4 configuration uses Carraro axles listed as:

Front - Carraro HS6.07
Rear - Carraro HS8.09

As far as their published range of On Highway axles goes most seem to be fully floating and certainly all that can accommodate a disk brake.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Local time
Reaction score
It would be great if the Grenadier has a full-float rear axle. It would be more in line with the overall ethos of Sir Jim's vision, and it would be more appropriate for a vehicle of its weight and payload capacity. In other words, it should have a full-float rear axle. There are a couple of things about the Grenadier that give me pause, and this would remove one of them. I really hope that you are right.

Here in North America, all our full-float axles are 8-lug. I don't think anyone makes a full-float axle that is 6-lug, so this would be a little unusual in the American off-road scene, but that's okay. I don't know why its been so hard to get info about the axles from Ineos. I sent them a few questions and never heard back; followed up with a phone call, and couldn't get any information. My best guess is that there were axle specs that were not fully determined, so they didn't want to release info that was subject to change (which I understand).

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:34 AM
Reaction score
It would be great if the Grenadier has a full-float rear axle. It would be more in line with the overall ethos of Sir Jim's vision, and it would be more appropriate for a vehicle of its weight and payload capacity. In other words, it should have a full-float rear axle. There are a couple of things about the Grenadier that give me pause, and this would remove one of them. I really hope that you are right.

Here in North America, all our full-float axles are 8-lug. I don't think anyone makes a full-float axle that is 6-lug, so this would be a little unusual in the American off-road scene, but that's okay. I don't know why its been so hard to get info about the axles from Ineos. I sent them a few questions and never heard back; followed up with a phone call, and couldn't get any information. My best guess is that there were axle specs that were not fully determined, so they didn't want to release info that was subject to change (which I understand).
Probably because the US specification hasn't been finalised yet

Reactions: Max
Local time
10:34 AM
Reaction score
If this was a Land Rover forum, you would have passionate discussion on the optimum number of splines on your half shafts. Here much of the discussion seems to be US-centric, possibly due to the frequency of tearing apart and rebuilding vehicles with stronger axles/diffs to meet the specific application/hobby, mainly rockcrawling (?).
I am going to "assume" that Carrero and Magna have a depth of knowledge based on the types of vehicles they have been involved with, to spec the axles and diff to meet the needs of the vehicle in its intended application and not even consider what could/should be swapped out..... And If it is proved wrong, either Carrero or the aftermarket will do something to eliminate the weakness.
Early in ownership of my D90, I pulled the 3rd members front and rear and replaced them with locking diffs from Jack McNamara in Australia: way better than ARB's, used low pinion R&P from Toyota and a much better actual locking mechanism (if you have ever fitted ARB;s. that fiddly little copper tubing from the locking mechanism to the housing, for me, was a weak point!). These were available with both vacuum or positive pressure actuation: I got positive pressure, as I alreadt had fitted an engine-driven compressor, and ran lines from my air tank through pneumatic switches, so the entire system is pneumatid, without those fussy relays...)
And the lockers quickly demonstrated the weakness of the half-shafts, but in the Defender, this is an easy swap, with hardened shafts available from many suppliers (I got mine fron Bill Davis at Great Basin Rovers (oops! GBR, since Land Rover North America got nasty and prohibited the use of the name "Rover",,,,,).
So, I am familiar wit the concept of swapping components to strengthen the vehicle. But am happy to wait and see how the Carrero axles handle the "work" before going into a big "guessing game" of how to upgrade (if necessary.....)

Local time
Reaction score
Here in North America, all our full-float axles are 8-lug. I don't think anyone makes a full-float axle that is 6-lug, so this would be a little unusual in the American off-road scene, but that's okay.
My Toyota Land Cruiser 80 series is full float and 6-lug. Think all the Toyota full float Land Cruisers are 6-lug.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I added diff locks to my defender when it was new. Man the bill hurt. But it was the gift that kept giving. When things get dicey the diff locks are game changers.
I built in Truetrac torque sensitiv lockers with 75 % automatic locking. In combination with the traction control it is a perfect system. The way the car behaves on slippery terrain changed a lot!

Local time
Reaction score
My Toyota Land Cruiser 80 series is full float and 6-lug. Think all the Toyota full float Land Cruisers are 6-lug.
Good info - thanks! What was the last year of sales in the U.S. for the 80-series - 1997? That was a good truck. In the late 1980s I owned a 1975 Landcruiser FJ-40 with the 4.2 liter inline six, and a four-speed manual transmission. I'm wondering if that was also full-float. It was a really heavy rig. Back then I wasn't aware of the difference.

I haven't found great info in the couple of minutes I have right now, but this is what a quick search turned up:

Axle_Specs.png
Source: http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/tech_rear_axle.html

From what I can tell (though I'm not 100% sure), the 100 and 200 series ran semi-float rear axles. According to Slee Off-Road (an excellent Landcruiser shop in Golden, CO), the 100-series ran semi-float rear axles, at least here in the United States:

Slee.png
Source: https://sleeoffroad.com/tech-zone/100-series-newbie-guide/

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
AFAIK, all 80 series have full floats. If your 40 series was a US market vehicle it was semi-float. Other markets got a mix of semi and full floats.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Just a comparison of the locked vs not locked axle casing - it looks like the locked ones get additional processing to add the hole for the grommet and cables:WP_20230605_046.jpgIMG_20230707_140848257_HDR.jpg

255/85

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
7:34 AM
Reaction score
Looks like the same bosses are there on both axle housings. Could installing the locking carrier be just as simple as drilling a single hole to run the actuator wire?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, maybe one for the grommet and cables and two more blind and tapped holes for the ancillaries that sit on an adjacent bracket.

Back
Top Bottom