The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Only stock vehicle to complete the Baja 1000!

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:49 PM
Reaction score
What would a stock raptor have done in those conditions? I know this not the same but well it’s kinda same price and idea.
Similar price bracket, but running Baja at speed is what the Raptor is built for; the Grenadier is better suited to longer overland travel. This is evident by comparing suspension setups and payload between the two

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Saw that vehicle at the Mossy Ineos in San Diego. That truck is absolutely wrecked!! All 4 shocks are blown, cracked windscreen from structural stress, gas tank skid dented in and could be causing the fuel issues, front left corner bumper crunched in, needs new cooler units, body work, headlight housing and new bumper, all 4 wheels were bent and out of round, and it now sits noticeably lower than another stock vehicle next to it. The biggest issue is it will no longer shift out of park and has a Christmas tree of lights on the dash. The mechanics were trying to move it out of the stall when I was there and it wouldn't go into reverse. So possible new transmission.

Probably close to a write off, as I can not imagine how many hours of labor and big $$$$ parts to get it back up and running. I truly felt bad for this brand new truck. And insurance won't touch it as it was being used in a "race".
I'd love to hear from @Ragman at some point - it's clear that aftermarket shocks and a gas tank skid are in order. Curious what else could have been done to prepare. IIRC the bumper/cooler/headlight issue happened on road, not as a result of the race per se.

Hagerty (and others ) offer track day and time trial insurance. Add it to the list of things to get for the next Baja time trial competitors.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Also, I skipped through most of the video, so maybe I missed it.... Did it actually compete or was it a chase truck just running the route?

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:49 PM
Reaction score
What would a stock raptor have done in those conditions? I know this not the same but well it’s kinda same price and idea.
It depends.
Ford have won the production class with an F150 Raptor, but you can bet there were several support vehicles with plenty of new wheels, shocks etc.
If you took a showroom Raptor with it's long travel suspension you would probably fare better than the IG. You would still run the risk of damaging the running gear driving at relatively high speed across unknown terrain.

Local time
3:49 PM
Reaction score
Similar price bracket, but running Baja at speed is what the Raptor is built for; the Grenadier is better suited to longer overland travel. This is evident by comparing suspension setups and payload between the two
Agreed but you think long term the Ineos would outperform a raptor in any situation? I’ve seen them take some serious beatings. (I have a ig coming) I just second guess myself on this unproven vehicle.

Jackattack13

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'd love to hear from @Ragman at some point - it's clear that aftermarket shocks and a gas tank skid are in order. Curious what else could have been done to prepare. IIRC the bumper/cooler/headlight issue happened on road, not as a result of the race per se.

Hagerty (and others ) offer track day and time trial insurance. Add it to the list of things to get for the next Baja time trial competitors.

I think aftermarket shocks would have made a world of difference. Those factory shocks aren't made for that amount of punishment and once they fade or are blown out, the vehicle just takes a beating. Long travel suspension would also make a great upgrade.

The steering stabilizer was completely destroyed and sounded like a dinner bell when turning left to right. Upgrading that to a Fox or King unit would of saved the steering.

Upgraded skid plates would of prevented the gas tank damage, and larger tires and aftermarket wheels might have fared better than the 31s on steelies.

Not much can be done about the accident with the other vehicle, an aftermarket bumper may have helped but no guarantee. I think that was the death blow for the Gren. The mechanics think the local mechanic may have put the wrong fluid in, or it was ran low after the accident and overheated or failed from low fluid levels.

But honestly it wouldn't of taken much to prep a little better for the run.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think aftermarket shocks would have made a world of difference. Those factory shocks aren't made for that amount of punishment and once they fade or are blown out, the vehicle just takes a beating. Long travel suspension would also make a great upgrade.

Agreed - I recall Ronny Dahl found the shocks on the Grenadier overheated quickly in his off road testing. More fluid would be key.

The steering stabilizer was completely destroyed and sounded like a dinner bell when turning left to right. Upgrading that to a Fox or King unit would of saved the steering.
I would guess that the steering stabilizer was destroyed by impact, not by use. A Fox or King unit would have been equally destroyed. I think a new front bash plate would be in order to protect it from damage. I'd also probably carry a spare (or two) steering stabilizers, knowing how unprotected they are.

Upgraded skid plates would of prevented the gas tank damage, and larger tires and aftermarket wheels might have fared better than the 31s on steelies.

I'd stick with the steelies - but perhaps carry more of them. I think I own somewhere in the range of 9 spares at this point.

Not much can be done about the accident with the other vehicle, an aftermarket bumper may have helped but no guarantee. I think that was the death blow for the Gren. The mechanics think the local mechanic may have put the wrong fluid in, or it was ran low after the accident and overheated or failed from low fluid levels.

Agreed 100%. I'm amazed @Ragman completed the 1000 without any support.

But honestly it wouldn't of taken much to prep a little better for the run.

I agree - I think a support vehicle with a compliment of spares and fluids would have made all the difference. It sounds like he ALMOST made it through unscathed, and for a solo, unsupported effort - I think he did phenomenal. Obviously the trans is going to be expensive, but the rest of it is to be expected.

You also mentioned:

cracked windscreen from structural stress

These windshields crack all the time - I'm on my second windshield since December & it cracked within a week or two of getting it. Are you certain it is from structural stress, or is that speculation?

Jackattack13

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
These windshields crack all the time - I'm on my second windshield since December & it cracked within a week or two of getting it. Are you certain it is from structural stress, or is that speculation?
This is speculation from the mechanic I was speaking to. The crack originates from the bottom corner so he thinks it from strain or stress. Who knows really.

Local time
Reaction score
It's portly girl with a high center of gravity and few hundred pounds of extra unsprung weight in the form of a solid front axle. It's not going to keep up with a raptor stock, and it isn't going to keep up with it after mods. There's a reason trophy trucks are built like they are, and reason why work truck are built like theeeey are. It was a fun exercise though, assuming the owner had the disposable income. If ah, he didn't think it would be that bad, or he thought insurance would cover it, well, that makes me sad. I'd give him 50 in a GFM as thanks for the valuable research he's done! 1000 miles of go pedal will find weak spots<--- (seriously)

lagartoboy

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
5:49 PM
Reaction score
His YouTube channel has a “buy me a cup of coffee” link😊

Jackattack13

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It's portly girl with a high center of gravity and few hundred pounds of extra unsprung weight in the form of a solid front axle. It's not going to keep up with a raptor stock, and it isn't going to keep up with it after mods. There's a reason trophy trucks are built like they are, and reason why work truck are built like theeeey are. It was a fun exercise though, assuming the owner had the disposable income. If ah, he didn't think it would be that bad, or he thought insurance would cover it, well, that makes me sad. I'd give him 50 in a GFM as thanks for the valuable research he's done! 1000 miles of go pedal will find weak spots<--- (seriously)
For real, what a test of a vehicle. I hope he is of the incrediblely weathy type and writing off a 100k vehicle isn't a big deal. If I was in that position I might give it a go, just so see what happens. If he was doing it for clicks and subscribers, I feel for him as his video has less than 10k views. But Ineos should send him a gift of sorts for all of that free field testing!

And let's not forget Ford and the likes build those insane cars like the Raptor and Subaru WRX so they can specifically participate in factory class races an WIN. That's how we got the Evo as well.

Local time
Reaction score
Now, for someone to use a stock New Defender... I'd like to see what breaks on that.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
For real, what a test of a vehicle. I hope he is of the incrediblely weathy type and writing off a 100k vehicle isn't a big deal. If I was in that position I might give it a go, just so see what happens. If he was doing it for clicks and subscribers, I feel for him as his video has less than 10k views. But Ineos should send him a gift of sorts for all of that free field testing!

And let's not forget Ford and the likes build those insane cars like the Raptor and Subaru WRX so they can specifically participate in factory class races an WIN. That's how we got the Evo as well.
They’re sending him a jacket…

pmatusov

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I drove a section of Baja 1000 track passing by Mike's Sky Rancho, from Rancho El Coyote Meling to Hwy 3 (~40 miles) in an old Classic - slower by 10x than the racers, yet had two broken Bilstein shocks (one on this section, one on another). What people do on this track is mind-blowing - so kudos for taking a Grenadier to the track, and hope it can be brought back to shape.

Back
Top Bottom